Who was saying Gelant lacks pace

Forum » Rugby » Who was saying Gelant lacks pace

Mar 15, 2020, 11:07

Hmmmm..... I hear this so often about various players - all a load of shit

Gelant’s sprint down the touch line for his try evidenced the pace of a wing

Please don’t ever tell us Gelant lacks pace

Mar 15, 2020, 11:28

Hard to tell when there weren't any real chasers apart from the #2 5m distant and the #10 coming across from way inside.

Mar 15, 2020, 12:08

Oh what shit, the guy was hardly moving slowly and let’s face it O’Connor is hardly slow

You need your eyes tested

It was clear that Gelant showed more than enough pace to be a test fullback if selected and that’s a fact

Mar 15, 2020, 12:47

That 10 year running down the touch line with Gelant showed good pace for that age! :D

Mar 15, 2020, 12:53

He would be better as an outside centre. He is more of a playmaker than a player with outright pace. Fast yes, but their are certainly faster options for outside backs.

Mar 15, 2020, 12:59

After Willie the guys with promise are Fassi and Willemse. 

Willemse was courageous under the high ball adchas a nice boot. Can step and has reasonable pace. 

Fassi need to become  physically more robust and he could make it.

Notche disappeared to some extent in a tight game. He too needs to work on becoming physically more robust. Dave tends to jump the gun as he lacks rugby acumen. 

Mar 15, 2020, 13:06

Gelant is not physical enough for 13 he is playing perfectly at 15 right now in a roaming role like Willie did.

Fassi and Gelant are our best options at 15

Beenkop you dumbfuck, Notshe hardly disappeared he contributed well but was not as noticeable as we never saw a trademark run, that’s not going to happen in every game you stupid prick

My point in this post is that it’s simply complete rubbish that Gelant lacks the pace for a fullback as evidenced by his try

Mar 15, 2020, 13:13

I thought that tubby gray haired touch judge kept up with the Gelanter pretty well! 

Mar 15, 2020, 13:16

Beenkop get your eyes tested

Which game were you watching you lying prick - touch judge was Rasta who got left in Gelants dust

Mar 15, 2020, 13:31

Not saying he was moving slowly, Dave, just saying there was no easy visual gauge as to how quickly he was really moving. The #10 made pretty good ground on him, if you take the angle he was running into account he made about 3 yards more than Gelant to the point where they were in line with each other (I actually plotted their positions on a diagram of a rugby field and drew lines to measure this).

Watch Mapimpi leaving Leyds for dead over 40m if you want real pace.

Mar 15, 2020, 13:48

Bullshit he was moving faster than O’Connor and slowed down at the end once he knew he had him beat

I’m not saying he is out and out pace that is not my point, my point is that he is quick enough for a fullback evidenced by that try - it negates the crap theory that he lacks pace

Geez what is wrong with you pricks - I don’t need a gauge to conclude by watching that run that the guy was moving at a pretty handy pace - he is not fucking slow!!!

Mar 15, 2020, 13:52

Geez what is wrong with you pricks

:D Always fun, Dave.

Mar 15, 2020, 14:03

If I said I had brown eyes you pricks would tell me they are blue!!!

Mar 15, 2020, 14:10

Fat blue eyes, yes.

Mar 15, 2020, 14:47

Not green?

Mar 15, 2020, 16:00

Pakie is an expert in motion, it’s how he makes a living. I’m inclined to believe  he got this simple exercise right. And to answer your question Dave I said Gelant is slow. No not disastrously slow.....but slow like Combrink...likely to be shown up by faster backs.  He is a stepper, and pure steppers rarely make potent outside backs, Campesi is a rare exception.

Mar 15, 2020, 16:34

Crap he is not slow and that bit of running evidence proves it once and for all

So the notion that he is not quick enough for fullback is simply utter bullshit, something I knew all along

Same applies to a few other backs labelled with the same fictitious shortcoming

Mar 15, 2020, 17:37

I’ll check it out and report back. In the meantime, unless you understand Pythagoras it’s best to keep your powder dry.

Mar 15, 2020, 18:48

I don’t need anything but my eyes to conclude that Gelant has more than enough pace for a fullback - nothing will change my mind on that

Mar 15, 2020, 22:53

Sadly Pythagoras proves you wrong. As they reached the 22 metre line Gelant was a step outside the line.....he had 23 metres to the line. The painfully slow O Connor was a step inside the line....he had 21 metres to go. But he was 12 metres infield from Gelant.

So his distance to the line at the point Gelant crossed it was:

Root(12squared +21squared)= Root(144+441)=24.18 metres. One more metre than Gelant’s 23 metres.

And if you look at the race itself O Connor lumbered to the line at the same time as Gelant lumbered to the line, but was still a metre infield. 

So I think it would be fair to say that these two cart horses are equal pace...but O Connor at almost 30 has slowed markedly. 

Gelant is a pretty slow fullback with an awful boot,

Mar 16, 2020, 00:20

What utter crap but hardly surprising

Mar 16, 2020, 01:01

Gelant has the power to play outside centre. He is physical, despite being around 88kg. 

His kicking game is limited, and while he is fast- at the international level there are faster.

His best contributions are cutting the backline and creating overlaps, before making very good passes to set up a winger.

Mar 16, 2020, 01:24

He has the perfect skill set for 13 but for his size.

Is very good at putting players into space and it’s become apparent the Bulls are using him like the Boks do Willie.

He has been given the freedom to roam and slot in at 10 at times.

He is currently in good form in a poor Bulls side where he has been given far more responsibility to set up attacks.

Last season he had become a bit predictable where he would mostly resort to kicking aimlessly from the back.

This year the mindset it set on attacking either from deep in his primary position or slotting in anywhere to create out wide

As I say he is certainly equipped to play 13 but at 90kg like Similane is just not big enough for the role, so I can’t see it happening.

He is the closest we have to Willie and will get better and more confident all the time

One certainty is that he is quick enough for 15, not that there was ever any doubt. That try proved that

We are blessed with options at 15. Willie the incumbent, followed in no particular order with Fassi, Gelant and Willemse

Mar 16, 2020, 01:55

The usual ignorant Dave bluster.....the facts are as stated.  O Connor is certainly not fast anymore....ergo.....neither is Gelant.  That try is about as dispositive as the JJ step. Remember that  one which ‘proved’ JJ was a great center.

Complete balls as usual. Face it Dave  you don’t even understand High School trigonometry......you never had a clue that O'Connor had further to run. Best avoid these quantitative issues.

Mar 16, 2020, 02:15

Moz I’m not pathetic enough to have to rely on mathematics to ascertain if a player has pace or not, my eyes serve that purpose.

Gelants run to score his try evidenced he has more than enough pace to play fullback and that’s a fact - nothing you say nor trigonometry will change that fact. It’s not like I ever doubted he had the pace it was just nice seeing a speedy run confirming it.

But here is something for you to ponder when applying your mathematical theory, which blows the equation out the window. O’Connor starts his run way in front of Gelant receiving the ball and at no point looks close to catching him. He gives up when the race is done as does Gelant when he knows the race is won. As the commentators say - there is no substitute for speed

Just as it’s a fact that JJ completely outplayed Smith that day and beat Savea through sheer skill. It’s just a pity he lacked the hard edge to accompany his athleticism.

Mar 16, 2020, 06:53

Sorry Dave, but even Gelant doesn’t believe he has any pace. A few minutes after the try he gets the ball in space with a real chance to run it in....but this time with O Connor a step or two behind....and he simply hoofs the ball aimlessly downfield. Any player who believed in his own pace would have given it a go.

Case closed.

Mar 16, 2020, 12:45

Rubbish Moz, Gelant backed his pace scoring that try, it’s all the material evidence I need - therein lies the closed case

He clearly has more than enough pace to play fullback, it’s not up for debate.

Had say Andries Coetzee been in that position he would not have scored that try, the old man has lost all his pace I’ve noticed this year

Mar 16, 2020, 17:51

"Yes, we have no bananas
We have-a no bananas today
We've string beans, and onions
Cabashes, and scallions,
And all sorts of fruit and say
We have an old fashioned tomato
A Long Island potato But yes, we have no bananas
We have no bananas today

Mar 16, 2020, 17:54

Dragonfruit?

Mar 16, 2020, 18:20

Bananas or no bananas - Gelant is quick enough for fullback

Mar 16, 2020, 20:20

Rubbish Moz, Gelant backed his pace scoring that try

30m from an open tryline with the nearest defensive back 15m away, you'd have to be pretty feeble not to back yourself.

Mar 16, 2020, 20:51

No Pakie you would have to be slow not to back yourself - Gelant is not slow

Mar 16, 2020, 21:12

A mobile loosie like Notshe would have scored from there, Dave.

Mar 16, 2020, 21:15

Alberts could have scored that

Mar 16, 2020, 21:35

Bullshit O’Connor would have had Notshe

Mar 17, 2020, 00:39

Gelant is probably as fast as Willie. 

Mar 17, 2020, 01:17

Agreed Shezza

You need to Log in to reply.