Whats happened to EP rugby Saffex

Forum » Rugby » Whats happened to EP rugby Saffex

Apr 11, 2021, 11:50

The Eastern Province and Border area have some of the best rugby schools in SA.  Grey (PE), Selbourne, Dale, Queens, St Andrews, Graeme and Cambridge yet it has become a burial ground of rugby in SA. The Southern Kings demise under the corrupt and dishonest Cheeky and now the Elephants with Divvy as coach.

"South Africa’s Preparation Series taught the Port Elizabeth-based outfit the harsh realities about life in the game’s fast lane.

All four of their matches resulted in big defeats – 10-87 to the Bulls, 24-54 against the Lions, 0-43 to Griquas and 12-71 against the Cheetahs.

That is 46 points for and 255 points against.

De Villiers, the former Springbok coach, is taking a very pragmatic approach to his coaching stint with the hapless Eastern Cape team."

Apr 11, 2021, 17:02

The Watsens 

Apr 11, 2021, 23:57

There is no money -so all those players produced from those schools head elsewhere

Add Kingswood, Framesby, Muir, Brandwag, DF Malherbe, Woodbridge , Victoria Park, Grens, Westering as good rugby schools

Apr 12, 2021, 01:13

The no money issue appears to be right and ever since the departure of the motor industry (happened decades ago) and then thanks to Cheeky Watson who bankrupted the Union there, ex players are still owed millions of rands still not paid and he has been sequestrated.

Robbie Kempson said this in this article.

Uncertain future: EP fights for a seat at rugby’s new...

It must sadden you Saffex being from that region and an old boy of Graeme College. I too have fond memories of Grahamstown and I had 2 stepsons that played rugby for Dale College in Kingwilliamstown who are now in Auckland NZ. .Dale was very good in those days (HO's old school).and I had old pals at St Andrews ( Kanko's old school).

Apr 12, 2021, 13:40

Well, EP back in the day was actually a pretty decent union that could compete for Currie Cup honours, but professionalism has been their downfall. 

However, they did get some decent crowds at the games at the new stadium and they were near capacity when they were in Super Rugby. 

I think we have some really good stadiums around from the 2010 world cup. We can produce a fantastic local product, but we just need to get people back at the stadiums. Not sure if it is the crime, lack of money, unemployment or the price of tickets. 

But I would rather charge people R50 then R500 for a ticket. The money will  come naturally. 

We need to sort out our domestic competition too and stop pandering to  our franchises or the 4 that we have. 

I would almost create an  incentive, if you can people to the stadiums, we will give you more money and not just television rights.

My point being, there is nothing better than  the buzz  and excitement of going to  a live game. looking forward to it. 

There must be so many of us on here that is laaities like to actually watch a proper game. 

Apr 12, 2021, 20:17

The Kings were way better than good in their last SR season...such a pity they were kicked out of Super Rugby at that time. At least their light shone for a short while 

Apr 12, 2021, 21:33

To be fair it does not bother me in the least - I see SA for what it is these days and am not surprised that EP has seen its arse

Credit must go to the other unions for keeping rugby alive despite the circumstances

Dale were always tough opposition back in our day - hard farm boys, as was Queens and Selborne in the Border area

You need to Log in to reply.