What Rassie has to work with

Forum » Rugby » What Rassie has to work with

Nov 06, 2019, 21:23

With Brits, Beast, Louw, Vermeulen and Steyn done with test rugby or close to being done what had Rassie got left to work with?

Clearly the rest of the WC squad obviously form part of the future some maybe less than others.

If we take the current squad and look at options that are available that are young enough to invest in for the future, that future looks bright

Fullbacks:

WC - Willie and Gelant. Willemse is a clear option as he is at 10 and 12

Fassi of the Sharks looks a great prospect

Wings:

WC - Mapimpi, Kolbe and Nkosi

Duhan vd Merwe, Sergel Petersen, Maxwane, Tambwe, Green, Zas and Senatla

Centres:

WC - de Allende, Kriel, Am and Willemse

Serfontein, Esterhuizen, Janse v Rensburg, Vorster, Odendaal, Similane, EW Viljoen, Nico Lee and Marius Louw

Flyhalves:

WC - Pollard, Jantjies and Willemse

Bosch, Stander, du Plessis and du Preez

Scrumhalves:

WC - Faf, Reinach and Jantjies

Papier, Nohamba, Mkhabela and v / Zyl

Props:

WC - Kitshoff, Koch, Thomas, Nyakane and Malherbe

Wilco Louw, Pierre Schoeman, Sadie, Jannes Jonker, Frans v Wyk and Ox Nche

Hookers:

WC - Marx and Mbonambi

Joseph Dweba

Locks:

WC - Etzebeth, Lood, PSDT and RG Snyman. Move Mostert to flank where he belongs

Jason Jenkins, JD Schickerling, Lourens Erasmus David Ribbans, Walt Steenkamp, Koeklenberg, vd Mescht and Ruben vd Heerden

Loosies:

WC - Kolisi, Kwagga, Mostert and PSDT

Dan du Preez, JL du Preez, Jacques du Plessis, Ruan Ackerman, Jaco Coetzee, Liebenberg, Notshe, Dayamani, Wiese, Tyler Paul, Jannes Kirsten, Vermeulen and Brink

Nov 06, 2019, 22:38

I hade made some corrections. I have removed some that will never be international standard, or are just too injury prone even at lower levels. 

Some of the lesser-known players below that I have not had a chance to evaluate, will not be an international standard. I will cross these pretenders out in due course once I have evaluated them.

Fullbacks:

WC - Willie and Gelant. Willemse is a clear option as he is at 10 and 12

Wings:

Centres:

WC - de Allende, Kriel, Am and Willemse

Serfontein, Esterhuizen, Janse v Rensburg, Vorster, Odendaal, Similane, EW Viljoen, Nico Lee and Marius Louw

Flyhalves:

WC - Pollard, Jantjies and Willemse

Bosch, Stander, du Plessis and du Preez

Scrumhalves:

Props:

Pierre Schoeman, Sadie, Jannes Jonker, Frans v Wyk and Ox Nche

Hookers:

WC - Marx and Mbonambi

Joseph Dweba

Locks:

WC - Etzebeth, Lood, PSDT and RG Snyman, Mostert 

Jason Jenkins, JD Schickerling, Lourens Erasmus David Ribbans, Walt Steenkamp, Koeklenberg vd Mescht and Ruben vd Heerden

Loosies:

Dan du Preez, JL du Preez, Jacques du Plessis, Ruan Ackerman, Jaco Coetzee, Liebenberg, Notshe, Dayamani, Wiese, Tyler Paul, Jannes Kirsten, Vermeulen and Brink

Nov 06, 2019, 22:38

Yes, there is more than enough depth...and Rassie will orchestrate things well.

Nov 06, 2019, 22:44

The Boks need more loosies that are able to compete on the ground, in a similar way to Vermeulen and Francious Louw. 

Boks always have strong ball carriers in the forwards, but without the ball they are helpless. 

The Diesel Twins are too one dimensional and therefore cant vary their game in the way a Vermeulen can. They just stand around waiting for the rest of the team to secure the ball.

Nov 06, 2019, 22:44

Nov 06, 2019, 22:47

Shark you are clueless as ever

My guess is you don’t know who half those players are

Saying the likes of Janse v Rensburg, Odendaal, Vorster, JD, Notshe and the du Preez twins are not test standard is insulting but equally shows rugby ignorance of the highest order

Nov 06, 2019, 22:52

Janse Van Rensburg needs to work on his conditioning, or perhaps book into a fat farm.

Odendaal is too injury prone.

Vorster injured his legs, and has steel pins in them which were never removed. He runs like a mummy. Even an old Frans Frans Steyn can run faster than this specimen.

Notshe is a joke. 

Like I mentioned, I have not seen many of the players you mentioned - probably from the junior teams. 
I will evaluate them in due course if they can make Super Rugby teams- some will make the grade, others will be pub team players with no hope of top honours in the senior division. 

Nov 06, 2019, 23:14

Nothing wrong with JVR conditioning never has been.

He has been on fire for Sale as have the du Preez twins - making team of the week regularly up here.

Odendaal has had one injury that kept him out for a bit other than that he has been fit

Absolute bullshit re Vorsters speed. On his return to the Lions side in Super rugby he was on fire - easily the best 12 in SA at the time. That brilliant line he took at speed to set up Green’s try was pure speed. He would hop faster than hasbeen Frans at full tilt

Vorster has the best rugby brain of all our centres

Notshe is great, has great running skills and muscled up nicely. He will be good for the Sharks this coming season. Open your eyes man

Nov 06, 2019, 23:14

Nothing wrong with JVR conditioning never has been.

He has been on fire for Sale as have the du Preez twins - making team of the week regularly up here.

Odendaal has had one injury that kept him out for a bit other than that he has been fit

Absolute bullshit re Vorsters speed. On his return to the Lions side in Super rugby he was on fire - easily the best 12 in SA at the time. That brilliant line he took at speed to set up Green’s try was pure speed. He would hop faster than hasbeen Frans at full tilt

Vorster has the best rugby brain of all our centres

Notshe is great, has great running skills and muscled up nicely. He will be good for the Sharks this coming season. Open your eyes man

Nov 07, 2019, 03:17

JVR needs to learn how to pass and catch. He is not of international standard until such time. 

Nov 07, 2019, 03:47

There is a long list of players given - but SB made a huge mistake by eliminating Schickerling as a lock.

As to the loosies the outstanding loosies of the future include Cloete pf the Stormer - a bull dog with pace and very good at breakdowns.   I even thought he should have been in the 2019 WC.

In the centers I would watch out for Impi Vorster - playing sevens at present, but in 15 man game he plays at center,   I would not leave him out.   Other clever players that could come through from  the sevens include Muller Du Plessis at wing and full back.   This guiy in one match scored three tries against Fiji through pace and stepping.   He in fact did better in games than Kolbe did as a Sevens player.   For me he is the hope for the future Springbok full back. 

Both SB and Dave are correct about some players with some players  not going to be in contention in future due to age factor, eg Le Roux.at present 29 years of age.   I think that Erasmus will use the next three years to blood some newbies for the 2023 RWC and give them adequate experience to play test rugby.   

With the departure of many of the present Springboks there will be a lot of players coming through the ranks in Super Rugby over the next two years and we may see a lot more of present unknown but upcoming  players.   Some youngsters already showed in the Varity Cup serious promise and one will have to see how they shape up in the franchise teams in future.      

One would get a real idea in the next two years who may be in the 2023 RWC squad.    As Director of Rugby the development of potential top class players will be identified and there further development will be prioritized.

Nov 07, 2019, 11:40

The list of players and those added by me is highlighted  and some I think wiho will niot make iit to the next WC2023 being 29 and older:-

WC - Willie and Gelant. Willemse is a clear option as he is at 10 and 12 and Muller du Plessis - Wing as well

Wings:

Centres:

WC - de Allende, Kriel, Am and Willemse -

Serfontein, Esterhuizen, Janse v Rensburg, Vorster, Odendaal, Similane, EW Viljoen, Nico Lee and Marius Louw Chris Smith, Impi Visser

Flyhalves:

WC - Pollard, Jantjies and Willemse,    

Bosch, Stander, du Plessis and du Preez Jordan Chait

Scrumhalves:

Props:

Wilco Louw, Pierre Schoeman, Sadie, Jannes Jonker, Frans v Wyk and Ox Nche,  

Hookers:

WC - Marx and Mbonambi

Joseph Dweba HJ Luus 

Locks:

WC - Etzebeth, Lood, PSDT and RG Snyman. Move Mostert to flank where he belongs

Jason Jenkins, JD Schickerling, Lourens Erasmus David Ribbans, Walt Steenkamp, Koeklenberg vd Mescht and Ruben vd Heerden

Loosies:

Dan du Preez, JL du Preez, Jacques du Plessis, Ruan Ackerman, Jaco Coetzee, Liebenberg, Notshe, Dayamani, Wiese, Tyler Paul, Jannes Kirsten, Vermeulen and Brink Stephan Streicher

The players I highlighted came from the Varsity Cup and Sevens.   That guy Chait is unbelievable as a flyhalf - he is exceptional.   The other player that I think will make hay in future - especially at full back is Muller du Plessis - also play at wing.       

Nov 07, 2019, 11:46

Dan du Preez is better than Steph. Notshe failed throughout last season. Esterhuizen is our best 12. Odendaal is average.Vorster improved as the season progressed, but is no certainty at test level. Of the wings, many small players who cannot defend. Some of the outgoing players will be very sorely missed. We don't have a Thor, and Kwagga can be overwhelmed at times. Some interesting young prospect who will only become viable in a couple of years, such as Willemse. 

Nov 07, 2019, 12:05

No AO

Esterhuizen is not best in anything - otherwise he would have been in the WC squad.  Du Toit is the Player of the Year - you are too stupid to realize that.

By the way how many tries did the opposing teams in the WC scored against the Springboks with wings who cannot defend.  Would have been 1 les bar for the routine missed tackle of Mostert.    

Nov 07, 2019, 12:05

Duplicate

You need to Log in to reply.