Three mighty tackles that turned the WC final

Forum » Rugby » Three mighty tackles that turned the WC final

Nov 04, 2019, 06:00

The first as reported before was the magnificent Kolbe tackle on Lawes, who had a try scoring overlap on his outside.Kolbe not only tackled the big man, he had the presence of mind to smother the pass.

The others took place in the goal line stand, both on Vunipola who is usually unstoppable close to the line....the first time a metre out Vermeulen stopped him dead, showing incredible strength ripping him off his feet. Seconds later Vunipola was on the line again, and this time Malherbe smashed him sideways with Kolisi helping from the inside.

This defensive stand contained other fine tackles, but those were epic....the stuff of legend

Nov 04, 2019, 06:37

It was HUGE

Nov 04, 2019, 07:27

While not a game turner, more of a final nail, Marx's tackle on Slade that turned the ball over for the Kolbe try is also worth a mention.

Nov 04, 2019, 08:56

The onslaught we withstood with England on our tryline for so long must have been souls destroying for them. Most teams expect to cross the try line about 90% of the time from that position. A defining moment in the match. 

Nov 04, 2019, 11:08

Posted by: bluebok (3924 posts)

Nov 04, 2019, 08:56

The onslaught we withstood with England on our tryline for so long must have been souls destroying for them. Most teams expect to cross the try line about 90% of the time from that position. A defining moment in the match.    “

Yeah. That, IMO, was another huge game changer. The commentators over here, immediately mentioned that there were a lot of penalties in that period of play  and that Garces should at least already have considered a yellow card. Farrell obviously had the same thoughts. His expression was priceless when he confronted Garces about “all the penalties”, only to be told that there was only one penalty in the entire period of 25 phases. Priceless. 

Nov 04, 2019, 11:28

At the time I didn't get the feeling England were genuinely going to score from that pressure. They didn't have much composure, looking to rush their attack. Those long passes wide really summed it up. That said, those tackles were immense. I'm very happy to see Malherbe in better form, and what a time to rise to the occasion. He was very good last year, not only as a scrummager, but his work around the field and at the breakdown was invaluable, as well as his defence - he was very present in our epic goal line stand in Brisbane last year, making a huge tackle of his own. When I saw his game against New Zealand, he looked as though he lost all of himself. 

Nov 04, 2019, 11:58

Keeping England out on our line was epic

Nov 04, 2019, 12:09

It was an attack by the English that showed them  they would not be able to score a try against the Springboks - was for them a disappointment that never left them in the rest of the game.

Malherbe was good in scrumming through the last two years - also in the AB games.   The problem is the backup was not always there by the locks - the main problem was always the same lock - Mostert.

When on the field De Jager helped in the scrumming massively - when he went off the scrumming was slightly poorer.    What was also evident is that for years Mozart always carried on about the need for a good tighthead and always blamed Malherbe for belly-hopping  and being a weakness in the SA scrumming.   He was shown up again as a prejudiced idiot again on Saturday - but at least there was some faint praize for Malherbe this time around. 

Just go back and see what Mozart and AO wrote about the Springboks chances to win the final.  Then you will get the message based on years of prejudice.

Nov 04, 2019, 12:13

Mike, you are abominable. Shall we recall your attack on Matfield, when you assumed where he was scrumming, inadvertently pointing out Bakkies as a poor scrummager? Not only are you a compulsive liar, you are also very sloppy. Best you leave the topic of scrumming to somebody else! :D

Nov 04, 2019, 12:18

I never said anything about Botha's scrumming at all.   Matfield always was a top line-out player - absent from the tight 5 in other aspects of Tight 5 play.   He was not a total loss before 2011 - but was a total one after he returned from retirement.   Liars are embodied by two posters everybody on site already know by now.    LOL 

Nov 04, 2019, 12:25

We wont see powder puff Mostert in the Bok set up again.

He has slipped down the pecking order and post WC will slip right out of site thank goodness

We need real locks on board

Bring Jason Jenkins into the squad to replace Mostert I say and move RG back to 5

Nov 04, 2019, 12:28

Maybe, but that won't necessarily be a good thing. Mostert improved the Boks when he came on for the languid Lood. RG though, that's another thing entirely. Mostert would probably be better at 7, where our other liability is lodged. 

Nov 04, 2019, 12:30

The likely candidate they may go for is Schickerling - Erasmus already had him in training camps and he must be highly rated by the coaching staff.    

Nov 04, 2019, 12:30

Mostert improved nothing at all

Lood has proved far far superior and Rassie knows it

Useless Mostert is a physical liability

Nov 04, 2019, 12:32

AO

The Springboks won the World Cup

Team of the Year  -   Springboks

Coach of the Year -  Erasmus

Player of the Year -  Du  Toit

Idiot of the Year  -   AO aka Liza Page aka a dozen other User Names 

Co-Idiot of the Year - Mozart aka Shifty Schiff-Strzok.

LOL  

Nov 04, 2019, 12:40

Until you answer my question you have nothing to say to me Lügnerin. I'm waiting for your very first rugby contribution. It's been 31618 posts in the making, I think you owe it to us. 

Nov 04, 2019, 12:42

What about Faf's tackle on someone where he lifted him and drove him back absolutely do not mess with saffa albino dwarves.......

Nov 04, 2019, 16:18

Mostert was huge in the goal line defence....4  crucial tackles , 2 on Vunipola.  As the commentator said: 'Mostert again'.We lost nothing went Lomp went off.

Nov 04, 2019, 16:30

Mozart

Good for Mostert - but it is a fact that in the WC De Jager made more and stronger tackles than Mostert is capable of.   In the series itself there was a clear indication why Mostert was replaced y De Jager after the AB round 1 test,   Mostert is just not physical enough as a lock and hopeless when it comes to open-field tackles.

It is appreciated that Mostert - like all the other players on the day did his utmost in performances - but there is no reason to believe that De Jager would not have been as good or even better than Mostert was.    

Nov 04, 2019, 16:30

Duplicate

Nov 04, 2019, 17:04

“ Not only are you a compulsive liar, you are also very sloppy. Best you leave the topic of scrumming to somebody else! “

This from the clown who once had us believe that Beast’s scrumming improved when Bakkies left the field. Bakkies, who was scrumming behind Jannie du Plessis at the time.

Nov 04, 2019, 17:44

I think I remember that incident! There are too many gaffs to keep track of. :D

Nov 04, 2019, 18:02

There was of course also the one about Toulon preferring Ali Williams to Bakkies.

Nov 04, 2019, 18:06

You don't have to go that far back to find a Muck lie....posted yesterday:

'Most of the WC winners yesterday are in the range of 26 and 27 years of age or even younger and is likely to be playing still by 2023.'          

.....10 of the WC winners were 27 and under, only 7 were less than 27.

Nov 04, 2019, 18:30

I think the situation was outlined by me rather clearly elsewhere,   

Of the team there are 6 players over 29 years of age - whose future looked rather dim when i comes to continuing to 2023.  There are 5 players aged 28 of whom I think 3 will still be playing through to 2023.   Of the 5 players at age 27 at least 4 are likely to still play at the next WC and there are 17 other players who were younger than 26 in the total squad of 33 (31 plus 2 replacements).

The habit is that WC winners tend to retain as many players as possible for the next WC and there are always the danger of retaining players based on reputation - thus harming the team,

However, the above scenario is vastly better than in 2015 - when 13 players were over the age of 13 and a lot of 28 and 29 year old's in the squad as well.

The only really key players to be missed will be Mtawarira and Vermeulen - the rest was in the main bench players.      

Nov 04, 2019, 18:33

I quoted you Muck....copy and paste....nobody else said that.  Just apologize for your mistake/lie and we'll move on.

Nov 04, 2019, 18:37

"However, the above scenario is vastly better than in 2015 - when 13 players were over the age of 13 and a lot of 28 and 29 year old's in the squad as well."

Maaik, all the players were over the age of 13 in 2015, hell most of Drosdy's u14 B team were older than 13 as well at the time of the 2015 RWC.:D

Nov 04, 2019, 18:47

The we have the liars - I never wrote anything about Botha - the liars cannot take it as to what I wrote about Matfield after his return from retirement to the affect that his line=outs were still good - but his other Tight 5 contributions went missing.

Ceradubnce the story about scrumming only related to MATFIELD.

Mozart calling that calculation a lie is just your normal BS response.  What about your hundreds of lies about players and Erasmus as coach - those were real lies - not imagined ones.              

Nov 04, 2019, 21:37

ouDawie, I remember your RWC squad .................  more than half of em never made it to Japan (thank fk) ..... as my granny would say, 'you don't know shit from sugar'..

Nov 05, 2019, 13:58

"Nov 04, 2019, 18:47

The we have the liars - I never wrote anything about Botha"

FFS, you just don't know when to stay down, do you?

The following from the thread: The strange way of Picking French Club players for the Speingbok team

Mike: "The third player involved is Bakkies Botha.   It is almost insulting that Toulon now prefer Ali Williams as their starting lock.   While playing for the Blues this year Williams was comprehensively outplayed and even humiliated by all SA locks he came up against.  Even the gutless Juandre Kruger was better than him"

Me: "I am not even going to bother giving you the line-ups again. I have done it in  the past after which you slipped away like a wet dream. Yes, Bakkies did not play yesterday but if you did indeed know what was going on you would not have made such a bullshit remark. You have just succeeded in making a complete doos of yourself.

Ali Williams is not preferred ahead of Bakkies. Bakkies is  his lock partner. I have told you numerous times but you just would not believe me. Bakkies did play last week and he was Ali Williams' lock partner and  yes, he did not play in the return  game yesterday. It was for a very good reason. This is where you are making a doos of yourself  for  the second time. He was tramped in the face last week  and had 14 stitches in his face."

Mike: "Bakkies did not play yesterday - but he has not been in the Toulon starting line up since his return from Springbok duty.   He was heir back  up lock.   Doos - a few stiches and the softy cannot play.  He did squat in the tests he played in in any event."

Me: "When are you going to stop talking kak? I have just told  you that Bakkies started against Exeter last week as Ali Williams' lock partner. Ali  Williams is not preferred ahead fo hom as you are trying to make  averybody believe you stupid fool. He and Ali Williams are lock partners with Williams being the no 5 and Bakkies the no 4.

This was the line-up against Exeter last week.

15    Drew Mitchell   
14    Alexis Palisson   
13    Mathieu Bastareaud   
12    Matt Giteau   
11    Bryan Habana   
10    Jonny Wilkinson (capt)   
9    Sebastien Tillous-Borde   
1    Florian Fresia   
2    Craig Burden   
3    Martin Castrogiovanni   
4    Bakkies Botha   
5    Ali Williams 

6    Juan Smith   
7    Steffon Armitage   
8    Chris Masoe   
16    Jean-Charles Orioli   
17    Xavier Chiocci   
18    Carl Hayman   
19    Virgile Bruni   
20    Rudi Wulf   

When you are in a hole, you should stop digging."

Mike (starting with the usual lame excuses): "OK

There was no tam announcement before the broadcast started.   Did not know Bakkies was injured and the game against Exeter was not on TV.   Theweek before that Bakkies was on the bench - that game was telecasted here."

Mike (immediately following it up with the usual obfuscating sidesteps): "Then there was the other two cases mentioned - which nobody commented upon - Morne Steyn and Gurthro Steenkamp.  Both are always bench players whenever I have seen matches played by those two sides.

And lastly Botha's performances against Scotland and France in the test was SHIT in any event.   Just want to put the stats to prove my point:-"

There was another equally disastrous (for Ou Maaikie) thread on the same topic where he attacked me for my audacity to even suggest that the sides played each other on consecutive weekends in the Heineken Cup.

I am not even going to go through the effort of finding the thread where we were told that Beast's scrumming improved after Bakkies was subbed. It is not worth it but rest assured, it is equally entertaining. 

Nov 05, 2019, 14:07

That was awesome! Every day, a new gaff. I now dub Damme Lügnerin 'the Toad in the Hole'. Stop digging toady! :D

Nov 05, 2019, 15:10

Dimness is fucked in the mind and that starts  with him being the greatest fool ever on site.   At least when I made a mistake I apologize for being wrong.  I never saw an apology for the hundred mistakes and lies you spread on site daily.   LMAO       

Nov 05, 2019, 15:28

"At least when I made a mistake I apologize for being wrong."

Really? Be careful now, as you have never apologised to me for your errors or lies. 

You owe me apologies for the following:

1. Lying about the Willemse intercept against Argentina last year
  2. Lying about the three turnovers from Louw last year
  3. Lying about Morné conceding a try after he was subbed in Dunedin for Goosen
  4. Lying about super rugby defence data. You omitted 127 games worth of data and proceeded to attack Moz
  5. Lying about Folau's defensive issues in 2013 - which were covered by numerous Australian sports journalists
  6. Lying about Morné being run at all day at Ellis Park in 2013 and missing those two engagements - there were two, he made both tackles
  7. Lying about Damians defensive lapses in 2015's Wallabies test
  8. Lying about the composition of the 2015 Japan test
  9. Lying about Schalk playing flyhalf in 2015 and not acknowledging the similar role of Steph last year
  10. Lying about the production of Willie under Meyer, stating it had disappeared in 2015 because Willie lost confidence in Meyer's coaching - he significantly out-produced his production in this season's campaign. 
  11. Lying about me calling Mohoje better than McCaw
  12. Lying about me calling Morne better than Carter
  13. Lying about me calling Kirchner better than Folau post-2013 Rugby Championship
  14. Lying about Morné losing the Krasny Yar game he didn't play in
  15. Lying about Du Preez conceding two tries against England in 2005, when they never faced each other - video footage proved that you were wrong about the 2004 encounter
  16. Lying about Frans starting a movement within the Sharks locker room
  17. Lying about Hansen calling out Morné
  18. Lying about the experience of Meyer's first team
  19. Lying about the composition of Bulls players in his first year
  20. Lying about Lambie's shoddy game in 2014 against England
  21. Lying about Steph's defensive lapses in Wellington, which was verified by video
  22. Lying about Esterhuizen losing the game we won in Brisbane, South Africa
  23. Lying about the Boks drawing the Twickenham test they lost because Rassie was slow at walking
  24. Lying about Mostert's mauling and lineout jumping. Pakie disproved this with pics
That's enough for now, I could go on though. 

Nov 05, 2019, 21:09

I am, not going to comment on fictional lies dreamed up by the dmmest doos on site,

The story of Meyer is all the kicks he missed in Dunedin and the BS kicks - as remarked on as BS over the year Morne made during the game.

Morne in the Johannesburg test made 6 tackles and missed 4,  Involved in two tackles that he got run through for the AB's to score tries.  Useless in that test and totally so.  He fucked up royally by not making a relieving kick and the half time whistle would have gone.   A typical example where a test was lost by Morne.

Never comment on Folau other than catching you out that even in 2016 you claimed that Kirchner is a better player than Folau.   You are obviously a  complete liar and idiot,

127 games left out in Super Rugby - when did that happen scheister.   That is nearly to 75% of all games played in a season.   I do not know when that happned - but it is definitely total BS,

Lying about De Allende Defence in 2015.  I never lied about it - I always said he made 15 tackles and missed 6 on the day.  Stop inventing things BSter. 

No 8  - what was the lie about - You are talking total BS.  I listed the players and gave a real indication of the failed players in the team.     

No 9  - I later corrected the date - it actually was in 2004 and Du Preez was missing when a ball came from a loose maul and an English player picked up the ball and scored ONE try,   No lie sheister.

No 10 Factual no lie - the games of both Pollard and Pollard went downhill in 2015 and going downhill fast.   Le Roux was so dispirited that he was totally out of contention for both the 2016 and 2017 Springbok team.   The same with Pollard.  

11 and 12 was identified by other posters and I read about it.  You used so many user games before the latest one that you now claim you never wrote that - Yes you did dimwit under one of your previous user names.   Ask Rooinek and Dave about that idiocy - they will confirm it as well 

13  You definitely did and got back to that one when attacking Folau under your previous user name and got caught out because I remembered of what you wrote previously. 

16  What - you stupid idiot?  

17   Hansen said publicly before the Johannesburg test on 2014 that he knew what to expect from Morne - but does not know what to expect from Pollard.   

18 and 19   Meyer's first teams included 14 Bulls players in 2012 and Meyer himself said that he selected players he was familiar with - obviously a total balls-up which Meyer said he was wrong in doing so.   

20   The Springboks won the game and Lambie's contribution was 16 points,    Mysterious garbage for the rest. - the shoddy game was a figment of your imagination - but probably relates to he fact that Matfield buggered up badly in that gem and was yellow-carded. 

21    Said exactly how many tackles Du Toit made and how many he missed,   Think you made up 12 missed tackles as an outright lie if ever there was one, 

22    What?????????????Rassie walking where?????????

23    No lie definitely factual.  That is why Erasmus after the AB WC test moved Mostert to the bench.  The pics showed what?     By the way in the rc test Mostert was so poor - that he was never used ibn the subsequent RC test against Argentina in line-out jumping/

The above story confirmed  that you are a complete idiot anyway.  I canto remember more expert in distortion than you are - village idiot.  Time you change your user name again - you have been totally discredited as a total rugby illiterate..      HAPPY IDIOTS DAY TO YOU.   BITTERBEK-

You need to Log in to reply.