The value of an early exposure to the oval ball

Forum » Rugby » The value of an early exposure to the oval ball

Mar 24, 2020, 22:07

Many a time one has been frustrated watching the Bargies, Italy and even France. They do so many things brilliantly but then blow it all with something really stupid....something is missing.

Watching the Scottish/Italian replay on my elliptical this am, Braam Steyn looked terrific for Italy. In one move Hogg tried to fake him out with the same maneuver he pulled on the Italian 15 for a try.

Steyn was not fooled he closed off the move and instinctively wrapped an arm to prevent the offload....a brilliant tackle. If that was another Italian player they may not have anticipated the timing of the offload.

It’s instinct. Braam has  probably been playing rugby since 5 years old in Cradock. His software is excellent. Guys from non traditional rugby countries don’t get that  exposure at a young age....one of the huge advantages in NZ and RSA.

Mar 24, 2020, 23:05

One of the great local rivalries in Pretoria is the Boys High (English) vs Affies (Afrikaans) game. Boys high should have the advantage, given that numerically, they have significantly more pupils to choose from. However, Affies have a very superior win count over the years. I am certain that this comes down to the fact that the Afrikaans kids play rugby all the way through primary school. The English kids only start once they reach high school. The truth is, the English boys never catch up.

Much merit to your point Mozter. 

Mar 24, 2020, 23:47

Blue where did you get that crap from that English schools only started playing rugby in High school

What utter rubbish

I went to an English school we started rugby in Sub A and most of our fixtures were against English schools in the Border and EC.

My brother in laws went to school in Durban and the same applied to them

Mar 25, 2020, 00:13

Always delightful in your engagement Saff. All the English Pretoria primary schools played soccer. None of them played rugby. Doesn't mean it is like that everywhere in the country, but it is like that in P town. The point remains the same weather or not it is a country wide phenominon or just in Pretoria. 

Mar 25, 2020, 00:59

In the Eastern Transvaal we played rugby in primary school....but the private school I went to briefly in Joburg played soccer. So I guess it’s a mixed bag.

Mar 25, 2020, 01:11

Afrikaans schools in Durban usually beat English speaking schools, when both had the same number of pupils.  This may be different from the best English speaking schools like Glenwood or Michael House etc, but for the most schools this was the case. 

The Afrikaans were more committed, or at least all 15 players were 100% committed- unlike some of the English schools where some players were slack - especially on tackling. Sometimes we used to stand behind the poles after conceding a try- and the more committed players were covered in dirt from tackling shouting at those with white shorts.

The Afrikaans could do athletics and rugby, but with sports like football usually had 2 left feet. Most of them could not surf - again 2 left feet. 

Mar 25, 2020, 01:31

I remember my first game in CT was against Franschhoek High....under 13s, but some of the guys lining up opposite us as we went on the field had beards!

Mar 25, 2020, 01:46

Yeah when you did play against the Afrikaans schools it always looked like they were an age group or two above you.

Sharktwat as per usual you are speaking out your chickenshit arse

Why the fuck would English kids be less committed - what a stupid ignorant observation. No doubt you went to a shit school which explains a lot. Chicken then chicken now

Nothing changes

Mar 25, 2020, 01:51

PE are Dutchmen, so Saffex you are not really classified as English- at least by Durban terms. 

Hennie Leroux was perhaps the least physical rugby player of the modern era (except maybe Naas) - and he snapped your collar bone like a toothpick.
Jennie broke you...

I can assure you that the commitment levels of Afrikaans schools were higher, and why they won more games in Durban than they lost. 

By the way, I lived on the Bluff in Durban- and went to Grosvenor Boys on the Bluff. We used to play Dirkie Uys as the annual darby- and often it turned into a fight with teachers running onto the field pulling players off. 

Most people in Durban are shit scared of people from the Bluff. The waves on the Bluff are South Africa's version of Hawaii, so people had other focus as well- most players were also surfers. 

Before my time it was one of the better rugby playing schools in Durban - when there were much more pupils. When there were fewer rules and it was more physical, the bluff excelled especially when it broke into a fight. 
We may have lost more games against Afrikaans schools- but we did never lose the fight that usually broke out during the game.

Mar 25, 2020, 02:01

PE are Dutchman - what the fuck you on about you stupid prick?

Trust you to conclude that Hennie was not physical

That’s in line with all your rugby takes you ignorant twat

English players less committed - what a load of shit

Fuck you must have gone to one sad fucking school no wonder you turned out to be such a fucking prick and a complete weed

Keep up the good work collarbone

Mar 25, 2020, 02:07

You are just lucky you never played the Bluff in rugby- otherwise you and your pathetic collar bone would have been carried off the field... The Bluff would have ended you properly- and you would probably not even be able to type on a keyboard. :D Nor jerk off every time you hear a rugby players weight. Oh Eztebeth, more, more...

Mar 25, 2020, 02:12

Is that you being committed collarbone?

Go PE

Now go wipe your nose

Mar 25, 2020, 03:02

I remember primary school in Cape Town and the emphasis was on cricket. I never played rugby in SA, it was only in England that I was introduced to the game at school. I was present for Sub A and Sub B.

You need to Log in to reply.