The moment that changed the World Cup

Forum » Rugby » The moment that changed the World Cup

May 25, 2020, 20:59

22'De Jager will go off too, and he can barely lift his shoulder to parallel. 

May 25, 2020, 21:02

The guy writing the report apparently never  realized Lomp can‘t usually lift  his shoulder to parallel.....or put one foot in front of the other for that matter. Providence fixed Erasmus’ disastrous selection mistake. Lucky Rassie they say!

May 25, 2020, 21:53

Mostert was his usual ineffectual self when he came on. Got literally bashed backwards a few times carrying the ball and then missed two tackles defending our line. Thankfully there were other players about mop up his mess.

The Boks were all great on the day but if I was pushed to pick the least effective having now watched the final 5 times it would be hands down Mostert

Never a test standard lock - simply not physical enough - much like Whitely as an 8

I trust we will never see him in a Bok jersey again - here is hoping anyway

May 25, 2020, 22:05

Dave

If you look at the particular attack after the final scrum in the first half and the subsequent very dangerous attack followed Mostert spilled the ball and the attack died   The English was in disarray and that spilling lost a possible try being scored,   If that was Du Toit Mozart would be writing about it until 2023.   

May 25, 2020, 22:21

Mostert was kak

I recall him being marched backwards with interest as he usually does

And those two missed tackles!!

May 25, 2020, 22:39

No missed tackles and crucial tackles on Vunipola a few metres out....a lion in the goal line stand. Mostert....zero missed tackles....zero spilled balls (the first column). 

F MostertR01500

What a Bok!

May 25, 2020, 22:48

The lineout king.....playing off the bench!

LINEOUT STEALS – PLAYER

1 Guido Pagadizabal (Argentina) – 5

2 Izack Rodda (Australia) – 5  

3 Shannon Frizell (New Zealand) – 4

4 Franco Mostert (South Africa) – 3

5 James Ryan (Ireland) – 3

May 26, 2020, 02:01

Moz be prepared to take that back

I’ll give you the times of those missed tackles tomorrow

Proves just how poor these stats really are

Mostert missed two tackles and I’ll prove it

May 26, 2020, 04:16

Mozart

Let go back a bit in the case of the line-outs.  In the AB tests in the RC he was desperately poor in the line outs and it was clear he was not usable as a lineout jumper,  He was then not used for lineout jumping at all in the subsequent Argentina test and was not even used to call the line-outs.   In the Argie test he would normally stand in the front with Etzebeth in the middle or further back with Etzebeth in the front of the line-out and Du Toit in the middle of the lineouts,   A few times in lineouts Du Toit went to the front of the line-outs where Etzebeth normally jumped.     .       

Mostert was so weak in the line-outs that he was  not used in the AB WC test at all - but he also failed in defense and that was the reason while for the rest of the series he was not in the starting line-up in the crucial games.    Picking up line out steaks against Namibia and Canada was a joke and to brag about that was even more of a joke.

One thing is for sure - Mostert's career as a test player was over at the end of the WC,  He will not be in a test squad again for SA unless there is a long list of injuries,     

May 26, 2020, 06:35

‘He was so weak in the lineouts that he was not used in the AB WC test at all’...which begs the question, if he wasn’t used and that was the first WC game, how did they know he was so weak?

Of course that’s a total fiction, but you even bungle your  lies.

As for the bit about ‘picking up steaks against Namibia‘ I can sympathize with that. Nothing like a good Namibian steak and some sweet potato fries.

May 26, 2020, 07:07

Because he was weak in the RC games he played in in 2019.   That is factual and no lies,  Mostert was on borrowed time in the WC game against the AB's and after showing further especially defense deficiencies he was tickets,      

May 26, 2020, 07:07

Because he was weak in the RC games he played in in 2019.   That is factual and no lies,  Mostert was on borrowed time in the WC game against the AB's and after showing further especially defense deficiencies he was tickets,      

May 26, 2020, 08:27

Saffex,

I'm surprised that you give a guy with his heart and record so little credit.

May 26, 2020, 08:39

The onus is on you guys to explain how the Lions pack lead by Whitely and Mostert dominated ALL other SA and Kiwi packs for a few years.

If Mostert, and Whitley, whom I tie in with him as the criticism of them is identical, were so bad, it means that the other two loosies and the lock were carrying them. Basically, Tecklenburg, Ferreira and Jaco Kriel must be far and away the best in their positions in the world. 

We know that is not the case, so how did they do it?

May 26, 2020, 09:00

TEAM...The Lions had a special  team. Somehow the team was greater than the sum of the individual parts...what makes team sport great.

Somehow Mostert took something special to the Boks too...Whitely not quite...unfortunately never really got going due to injury.

May 26, 2020, 10:08

It’s simple Plum - I see past the heart and energy he brings. When you actually observe him his productivity is very low and for the simple reason he is unable to impose himself physically both with ball in hand or in the tackle

It’s the last thing you want from a test lock. Clearly Rassie has now seen through the effort and energy and relegated him to the bench because he adds zero grunt.

It’s his own fault for clearly he is a lazy buggar off the field as there is clearly no evidence of gym work. Had he added 8kg of bulk to his 110kg frame, he would have then been worthy

I have no time for lightweight non physical locks at test level

I’d choose 10 other locks in SA ahead of him and I’m not joking

May 26, 2020, 10:29

Saffex, for me he adds smothering value. 

The guys that hit large never do so with frequency. Even the biggest hitters will do so only a few times per game.

It stands to reason that a forward who hardly misses any tackles and makes more hits than is normal, despite not smashing people backwards, adds great smothering value. He helps to set up situations where the defensive unit pushes the opposition backward. 

Also, I don't know how lazy he is. Remember, muscle mass = fatigue. Looking at how he seems to want to play, i'd guess that doesn't want to add too much muscle to his frame as it'll just cost gas and his value is as an 80 minute player. I'll stress, that this is a guess.

That's my laymans assessment anyway.

May 26, 2020, 12:21

Each to their own. I want my tightforwards to make an impression when they carry or tackle, that is what creates momentum.

If he was an openside flanker making less of a physical impression then I could live with that - he is a lock

He is all energy and heart with limited productivity

A liability as a tightforward made ever more irritating by virtue of the fact we are blessed with so many quality locks

May 26, 2020, 16:49

This reminds me of the Matfield weakens our scrum argument.....where the proponents felt he wasn’t supporting the tight head.....only to find Bakkies was scrumming behind the tight head.

To use a Covid term, this is all anecdotal. Our scrums, lineouts, rucks and defence were every bit as good when Mostert was on the park. In fact our lineouts were better. I will concede Mostert is just a link. A better off-loader than Lomp and Dud, but no runner.

Still  the so called power that Lomp adds never shows up in the numbers.  All that I saw was Vunipola using him as a doormat.

May 26, 2020, 17:06

Here’s the ‘power’ running of Lomp and Dud in the playoffs:

Japan......Lomp 5 runs/ 4 metres.....Dud 6 runs/5metres.

Wales......Lomp 5 runs/5 metres.....Dud 3 runs/5 metres

England ..Lomp 1run/0 metres.....Dud 4 runs/2 metres

Playoff total....Lomp 11runs/9 metres....Dud 13 runs/12 metres.

Those are the most outstanding, stunningly effective 24 metres ever gained by two highly Physical locks.....imposing themselves time and again and breaching the game line with impunity. Hell without those 24 metres in 3 games we would never have won the WC.

Of course there is the small detail that Dud spilled the ball twice worth 40 metres to the opponent......and that a just competent  runner would expect to gain 48 metres in the 24 runs.

So with 88 metres foregone and 21 metres made one might feel a little short changed by these...er....physical players.

May 26, 2020, 18:23

Mozart

I referred to one ball Mostert spilled and clarified the issue of the weakness in line outs of Mostert and ow this myth.   

Now back to Matfield,   Matfield was a good player until his retirement in 2011,   After his return he was totally useless and weak  in all aspects of play -  definitely so in scrumming and driving mauls,           

May 26, 2020, 19:01

No myth.....hard facts....the myth is that Lomp and Dud bust tackles. They don’t.

May 26, 2020, 20:58

Moz you really are clueless

Do you honestly think any player operating in traffic is going to gain more than half of a metre per run in contact? Seriously

Etzebeth’s stats are no different in traffic

So try again Moz

May 26, 2020, 21:13

Its confusing that you support Mostert and not Du Toit, Moz. They are the same type of player, just that the latter is more effective in everything he does bar the lineout. 

May 26, 2020, 21:37

D VermeulenN80011460000
T CurryFL031130110
S UnderhillFL004150100
B VunipolaN80919230030

R MoriartyN801016310010
D VermeulenN8008450200

S BarrettL059331000
A SaveaFL02942151

All examples of loosies getting metres. Dud is a totally neutral runner.....lopes forward, gets hit, falls down. Guys  like Vunipola or Savea have  the power to bust tackles.  Stephanie simply doesn’t have the  explosiveness, the elusiveness or the hands to create anything.

May 26, 2020, 21:52

Fair point Shezza.... I’m reacting to the power runner comment. They are similar players. I think Stephanie is the better runner, but still not an effective runner....neither should be our go to ball carrier.

Mostert has better hands, offloads very well when he is allowed to.....which he wasn’t in the Rassie game plan.

Defensively Stephanie is more aggressive, Mostert more accurate as we saw in the Welsh and Pom goal line stands. 

Mostert is the better lineout jumper and Lineout captain.

My first objection is the reverse of your’s....why does Dud get so much more credit. Is he the best rugby player in the world....really?

My second point is Dud’s shortcomings aren’t noted, but they are there. If Louw wasn’t subbed for Kolisi to make that crucial Welsh match steal we could have lost. Dud doesn’t offload and he doesn’t turnover ball. Those are two substantial deficiencies...more or less shunning the modern game.

We haven’t reinvented the wheel with either Dud or Mostert at flank. It’s a trade off and can be made to work in a balanced loosie trio. But having Dud and Kolisi was risky.

May 26, 2020, 22:03

Oh wow Moz you clearly have no idea at all

The loosie you quote there are either open sides or 8’s like Vermeulen

Vermeulen for instance virtually takes every kickoff and in the process gains loads of metres before taking contact. It’s his trademark, same with Billy

That’s not the role of a blindside like PSDT. He performs the same function as the locks and props in traffic

It’s your openside and No8 who are exposed to space in a game - geez it’s so obvious

These are the basics of the game

Lood, RG, Etzebeth and PSDT all have similar stats on average while operating in traffic and that’s a fact. They are all amongst the worlds best when it comes to carrying in traffic as it’s a Bok strength - big physical carries. I big physical carry means gaining forward momentum be it half or a metre at a time. As opposed to powder puff Mostert who either gets pushed backwards or gets stopped dead in his tracks effecting zero forward momentum in the process

May 26, 2020, 22:04

Mostert missed two tackles in the final - fact

May 26, 2020, 23:38

Never saw those missed tackles...nor apparently did ESPN. AND Savea was playing blindside.....Cane was the 7.

Savea vs Ireland:

A SaveaFL05842140

S Barrett  at 6 vs England:

S BarrettFL044130010

Here’s Leitch against the Boks:
M LeitchFL0511151330

All these guys regularly beat tackles, make multiple metres and offload.  They play a constructive attacking game....not a dead head charge into the first tackler and fall down version.

May 26, 2020, 23:43

Savea might have 6 on his back but never plays it as a blindside for he is not a blindside

Nothing impressive about Barrett or Leitch’s stats there

Mostert missed two tackles in the final evidencing how inaccurate ESPN is

May 27, 2020, 06:35

13/4>0.5

Case closed.

May 27, 2020, 09:34

Be prepared to be embarrassed

You have forced my hand!!

May 27, 2020, 11:56

So when we read the following then one wonders about the sanity of the member who posted it:-

"Mostert has better hands, offloads very well when he is allowed to.....which he wasn’t in the Rassie game plan."

Mozart knows zero about game plans.   For years he was advocating that a kicking fyhalf and a crashballing 12 was traditional SA rugby,   He did not rate scoring of tries was a positive requirement in rugby,   Now suddenly Erasmus's game plan did not allow Mostert to off-load balls, but a similar restriction was not placed on other players.  LMAO - this is crazy,    

May 27, 2020, 16:43

Look for the response Wanker.

May 28, 2020, 07:39

I did and it was total BS,  

You need to Log in to reply.