Remembrance of one of the very best characters that ever graced our sporting fields in SA and is still contributing greatly to Sharks rugby.

Forum » Rugby » Remembrance of one of the very best characters that ever graced our sporting fields in SA and is still contributing greatly to Sharks rugby.

Mar 22, 2020, 08:38

None other than the huge character of Patrick Lambie.

In everything that Pat did , he did well and was a tremendous influence to all who were priviledged to work and interact with him.

He has helped Curwin Bosch immensely with his kicking. Pat a great man who continues to give his all to everything he puts his hands to.

Such an inspiration and yes he would have been a great if it was not for severe head injury.

Pat Lambie a folk hero who brought the best out of those around him

Mar 22, 2020, 11:44

Wish Pat Lambie all the vey best. Great talent and courage. 

Naas knew the dangers of being too physical and wisely kept out of trouble. Wonder if Pat could have been more careful.

Curwin Bosch seems aware of the problem. 

Which all illustrates the value of the 98 kg Pollard who like Butch could get involved.  Pollard is a great flyhalf. Has it all. 

Mar 22, 2020, 18:31

Seb

While living on the North Coast I never had the privilege of meeting Lambie,.   However, I know a lot of people who did and what they told me about him is his absolute sense of decency and a person of character.   

Lambie is from  a family with high moral values and is an example of the best type of people one can hope to know. 

I read  that article and it is exactly what he brings to the Sharks in their enhanced performances this year.  He is a clever rugby thinker and I would not be surprised at all if he is  brought  into the Springbok coaching set-up by Erasmus.   

Mar 22, 2020, 18:51

Yes Mike that might happen. His ability to positively contribute a huge input is known to those who know him. Otherwise he never speaks or boasts about anything of himself...the world needs real men like this...his absolute unselfish character is a gem stone in this egoistic. self serving world.

Mar 23, 2020, 01:21

He was a mediocre player, but considering how young he retired I'm happy to hear he has found a constructive way of being connected to the game. Maybe he has the knack for coaching in general. Who knows, best of luck to him. 

Mar 23, 2020, 07:31

AO

Compared to dear Morne - he was a star,    

Mar 23, 2020, 13:11

Lambie has the brain and personality to go places. 

Mar 23, 2020, 15:26

Posted by: clevermike (40514 posts)

Mar 23, 2020, 07:31

AO

Compared to dear Morne - he was a star

And how about Lambie compared to Goosen and Swiel?

Mar 23, 2020, 17:43

It comes from his grandfathers' bloodline.

The late Nic Labaschagne. Ex Natal hooker, Dentist and gentlemen through and through.

Pat never got credit for some outstanding performances as a Natal and Springbok player.

One of his best was when he demolished WP in the Currie Cup final at Newlands as a 19-year-old fly-half.

Taken out illegally in his last game for the Springboks by Stander (Ireland) in the opening minutes of a test and suffered a career-ending concussion.

Sadly.

Thanks, Pat, stay healthy and involved with the Sharks.

Mar 23, 2020, 18:25

The great thing about Patrick he never had a grudge against Stander and regarded it just like the man he is and part of the hazards in the game. A true sportsman.

What an example to all of us. People like this are a huge inspiration, especially one so young.

Real good breeding coupled with true humility.

You need to Log in to reply.