Rassie Erasmus the new favourite for Bok coach?

Forum » Rugby » Rassie Erasmus the new favourite for Bok coach?

Jan 26, 2016, 20:01

The article here from Sport24 would suggest that Allister Coetzee is going to honour his commitments to his Japanese club and Rassie Erasmus is now the bookies favourite to become the next Springbok coach.

Must admit I found it a bit strange that Coetzee's appointment was not announced early in the New Year and I suspect something fishy is going on.

If Johan Ackermann was not a candidate and it was a straight race between the two I reckon I'd prefer the more experienced Allister Coetzee to Rassie and his bizarre disco lights. We never got to the bottom of why Rassie felt the need to signal everything from up on high instead of simply trusting his captain with an agreed game plan.

This is not sounding good at all . . .

Jan 26, 2016, 20:41

Rooinek

I have no problem with Plumtree or Ackerman being appointed.  I would prefer them ahead of the clueless Coetzee who has a major problem insofar as backline play is concerned.    

Jan 26, 2016, 20:53

So what's Rassie like? What kind of rugby does he like?

Jan 26, 2016, 21:05

I think Rassie could be a good coach. 

When he was appointed at WP, the Stormers became a good team. This was after winning the Curry Cup in his first year at the Cheetas.

The Stormers have more attacking play when he was involved- not just defence. 
It was Rassie that gave Nienabaar the defence coach opportunity to get involved with the Stormers- and creating the best defence in SuperXV.

Coetzee was given the position when Rassie said the pressure of being the head coach was too much. 
Not sure if it was self -inflicted pressure or the WP Board that created all the pressure. 
Although Rassie did give a parting shot saying that the WP board was useless- and reminded all that Nick Mallett had said the same thing. 

Jan 26, 2016, 21:49

SB

As far as I understand it Rassie when he left said he cannot put up with the WP Board.  They were always absolute tripe and not interested in Stormers/WP Rugby, but the self-interest of the Clubs they represent.  They are totally unprofessional -a bunch of quasi-politicos.   

Their pet always was Coetzee - him with the 100% lack of rugby knowledge - especially of backline play.  

Rassie at present is the SARU Director of Rugby - with a massive work load  inclusive of trying to do something about the Kings as well.   

He is exactly opposite to what Meyer was - he will not run back to the retirees to come back and play test rugby and he does not believe in 10 man rugby.     

Jan 27, 2016, 01:19

@clever. He seems to be a good player scout that can identify talent. 
I think he also understands attacking backline play more than most SA coaches- if not all. 

Also, the politics of the selection means that we are probably limited with someone from South Africa- instead of a Kiwi coach. (at least for the backline).

He was a skillful player as well who seemed to understand the game. 

He might not have had the physical assets like Bob Skinstad or Joe Van Niekerk for individualism- but his game understanding was solid. 

Jan 27, 2016, 01:43

just another pretender......next.

Jan 27, 2016, 02:34

Rassie seems to me a Jack of All trades - master of none.

He has achieved nothing thus far as a S15 coach (he in fact dropped the Cheetahs like a hot potato) only to get involve with coaching at the Stormers where he also achieved hardly anything.

When Jake White wanted to use him in the coaching of the 2007 Bokke, he initially accepted but rather quickly dwindled into the background. 

Nope he is not trustworthy enough for such an important job.

In a recent poll done by Rugby365 Nick Mallett came out as the most preferred candidate:

nick mallet  18.46%  (218 votes)  

Jan 27, 2016, 06:14

Great coaches have character. To me Rassie is always running away from the task rather than embracing it....and Mallett is the critics critic. I would take Coetzee in a heart beat vs these two show ponies.

Jan 27, 2016, 06:45

Mozart

Why always be the absolute fool in dealing with issues?  Is it because your understanding of the game is so limited?   

Your understanding of rugby ties in with the "stampkar" approach meaning that the game ends at no 10 kicking balls away and the backline being there to defend only - remember the fact that you said that 90% of what is required from flyhalfs being the ability to kick balls.   That is why your ideal flyhalfs all flopped - Morne and Fat Fransie being typical examples.

If you want to participate in debate - come up with reality and not rubbish like making unfounded and ridiculous statements.   What has Erasmus run away from?      

Jan 27, 2016, 08:39

@Rooi Explains why they never advertised the job. They just put up a sticky note on the cafeteria's message board.

Still, I think thqt no matter who is chosen, Meyer's style of rugby is dead and buried for good. I can't see anyone with half a brain thinking that stamper can continue...even with the best available players.

If Russie spoke badly about the WP bosses, wouldn't they try to block his appointment?

Mallet would be a great choice. Actually the only one on that poll who I wouldn't want would be Coetzee. Though I'd have him over Meyer any day. Still, I'm holding thumbs for Wayne Smith.

Jan 27, 2016, 08:39

Seldom have I read so my twaddle in one thread

I posted on a number of occasions how Rassie is rated by significant voices as the most acute rugby brain they have encountered.

His coaching and captaining of Free state was outstanding as was what he did for Stormers. He left because of the nonsense going on at WP province  - as did Mallet. Rassie ran away from NOTHING - what a scandalous accusation!!!!

There could hardly be a better choice.

That said given our racist quota policies and all the other problems the Bok coaching job is more than ever a poison chalice. 

Coetzee is a quota coach who simply has no clue. His defense only approach shows how clueless he was. A quota appointment for the Boks - which Jake handled by bringing in Eddie Jones for the RWC.  Nice man but no rugby acumen and way out of his depth. Only appointed because of the WP desire for transformation meaning raced based selections.

That ou rooitwit, who is so consistently wrong and where any deviation is a wonder, trashes Rassie should be a warning light to all. Bwhahahahahahaha

Dr Mozz who had a poor 2015 supporting duds lie wee matfiled and is now off to another poor start rugby wise.Hahhahahahahaha  - we hope you will pick up some form Moz. 

As for dense denise, Dr Moz's little parrot - he has become a complete echo of the good doctor. Has he an original thought in his lonely brain cell!!

Jan 27, 2016, 11:37

Good Christian post brother Bean Brian.

Allah Akbar!   Laughing graphics

Jan 27, 2016, 21:28

dense denise I see the truth I posted is touching a nerve. 

dense denise you are an ignorant twit and the loss of that empty cranium will be of little moment. Nobody will notice. Bwahahhaahhahahahahaha

Now run along and find something to parrot ex Dr Moz. This hatter is a bigger suck up than a black hole!

Jan 28, 2016, 06:06

Not everybody enjoys pressure....Rassie clearly doesn't. Let him theorize away at the Performance Centre, let the guys with some competitive fire coach the Boks.

Jan 28, 2016, 07:11

And you - bird brain - support the appointment of Coetzee.  Out of touch with reality too - Erasmus is the SARU Director of Rugby.  

But we know by now how your limited rugby intelligence works.  The type of rugby you support - "stampkar" is your idea of rugby, 90% of the function of a flyhalf is to kick balls, select players on reputation and performance is not necessary, the backline players are there for defense only.   One can go on and on.

As Beeno said you lost it completely over the past two years and it is time you start thinking before posting junk on this site.  

Jan 28, 2016, 12:28

Disagree Rooi.......Coetzee is an average coach......I'd rather go with the unknown Rassie and hope for the best

With Coetzee you know you are on a road to nowhere 

Jan 28, 2016, 13:41

Coetzee is not a coach at all - he is clueless about backline play and he stuck with the midgets who got run over time and again when the chips were down.   The man was clueless about backline play when he was assistant coach for backline play at the 2007 WC and White had to set it right by getting in Eddie Jones to off-set that.   

I can understand the support of Mozart of Coetzee - especially since in Mozart's view scoring of tries in rugby is not necessary and the Stormers and WP was clueless in that regard for years now.   Last year the Cheetahs backline despite a poor record on the  whole scored more tries in Super 15 than the whole Stormers team scored - and substantially more.    

Jan 28, 2016, 15:52

I'd rather have useless Jake White back than have to endure the utterly useless Coetzee as a coach.

Lets hope like hell Coeztee is staying in Japan 

Jan 28, 2016, 18:01

Yep that Coetzee sure can't coach....in the last S15 the Stormers came 3rd, the Lions 8th and the Sharks 11th. And in the CC the depleted WP team came second to the Lions who hardly yielded a Bok.

Uninformed yapping as usual.

I would appoint Jake in a heartbeat, I might even give Ackerman a shot. But character counts, I would never appoint stab in the back Rassie or Mallett. If that were the choice I'd take Coetzee, who has a decent track record and recent experience.

Jan 28, 2016, 21:19

Mozart

Don't always show you sheer ignorance insofar as rugby is concerned.  Start thinbking before you show it on this site.

The only reason why the Stormers were 3rd on the log was that they head the SA Conference teams and had one more point in the total log than the Lions.  If only points were the criterium the Stormers would have been 7th on the log.  

Uninformed idiocy that leads to idiotic yapping in your case.  Your comments are really idiotic this time.  White was a disaster at the Sharks and was asked to resign or be fired - do yo want him as coach.   He is clueless and the performance of Montpellier shows that.   Coetzee is a sick joke as a coach.    

But then you want "stampkar" rugby with no real ability to score triesbeing a requirement,   You supported Meyer in all his idiocies as a coach 0 so what can one really expect from you but idiocy.     

Jan 29, 2016, 03:23

So let's look at the South African conference. The Stormers are in fact 3 points clear of the Lions....11 points clear of the pathetic Sharks you were so excited about.

But more to the point, the Stormers were the only team who significantly  out scored their opponents. The Lions were down by 22 points, the Sharks you were so excited about by a disastrous 63.....and the enterprising, running Cheetahs were down by a massive 174 points.

The Stormers did this with a weak half back pair and the absence of their senior players. So explain to me again why Coetzee is such a terrible coach....old Queen.

South African Super Rugby Conference

Team
Nation
P
W
L
D
PF
PA
PD
Bp
Ttl
1.()16105137332350345
2.()16961342364-22442
3.()1679039738891038
4.()16790338401-63534
5.()165110357531-174626

Jan 29, 2016, 07:16

There is one issue of rank stupidity that counts and that is the scoring of tries - the key to winning rugby.   You believe it is not needed in rugby - everybody else believe it is.   Since Coetzee became coach the Stormers had the worst try scoring record of any rugby side in Super 15.   The Stormers whole team constantly scored les tries than teams like the Cheetahs backline scored and I believe in 2014 in the whole series they scored 21 tries as against the 29 scored by the Cheetahs backline players only.   

They concentrated on defense only and the backline was constantly incapable of playing attacking rugby.   You talk about the halfbacks - but what about the sieve that was the 13, 14 and 15 players, whose defense was absolute BS and in the main was useless in attacking play as well,   

A few years the Stormers reached the play-off stage of the competition - but then lost by massive margins - because of the "stampkar" rugby they played.   In the end the team was going nowhere under Coetzee because of their inability to score tries - and that is a fact.

Jan 29, 2016, 07:34

I am seriously battling to give a shart about who the coach will be. It actually makes no difference! If the Boks are going to be be forced to include undeserving black players then both the coach and the Boks are doomed to fail anyway! 

If SARU and the race obsessed politicians would just develop the game properly in the previously disadvantaged areas plenty of players of clolour would filter through the system, but that is not the case. Instead, out of the coloured and black rugby players, that make up maybe 10% of the rugby players in South Africa, the Super Rugby franchises and the Springboks somehow need to create a team including 50% of these race groups.

Isn't there some evil scientist that could create a virus that attacked only politicians?

Fark em all!     

Jan 29, 2016, 10:44

Great post Bluebok. It's this racist nonsense and other factors they refuse to address that will keep ensuring we struggle. Cant see how this will come right but miracles do happen.

Meanwhile our bunnies of yester year rule the roost ably assisted by bent refs!!!!:'(

Jan 29, 2016, 12:25

Coetzee is utterly useless but trust Moz to back a loser look no further than his pathetic support of useless Meyer.

Coetzee had probably 10 times the number of Boks Ackers had to work with and he still managed to cock that up and never come close to a s15 final. 

As for Jake he was marginally better than Coetzee but still a piss poor coach....just look at his test record and look no further than his pathetic current club record.

Give me the rugby brain of Rassie anyday over these conservative pretenders.

But good to see you still backing losers Moz...nothing changes 

Jan 29, 2016, 15:01

Dave

Remember Jake came near to buggering up the whole Sharks situation and he was told to resign or he would be fired.   That is Mozart's first choice as a coach for the Springboks.  What a loser that idiot is.     

Jan 29, 2016, 15:53

Jake was pathetic in his two years leading up to the WC...I think the year leading up to the WC he had a 26% win record. If you read Gavin  Rich s book he mentions how close useless Jake came to being fired that year. Eddie Jones saved his bacon....the WC win had little to do with Jake....why would it with such a poor preceding years record?

Did Jake suddenly see the light at the WC....I think not. Eddie made the calls and changed it for the good.

If it has to be a Saffa....give me Rassie, Ackers, Swys de Bruin or Mallett any day.....real rugby brains and very little conservatism involved. 

We cannot go anywhere near conservative clowns like Meyer, Ludeke, Jake or Coetzee....never again.

We have so much youthful talent that need to be given the authority to express themselves.

Jan 29, 2016, 18:08

My Bok couching setup:

1. Gert - Coach 
  2. Carel - Backline
  3. Proudfoot - Voories
  4. Rassie - Analyst 
  5. Alistair - Manager.
  6. Nienaber/ Duane - Defence 
Probably too heavy and expensive. ..but I'm sure we will get results.

Jan 29, 2016, 23:58

Thanks Draad.

First post I could read without a magnifying glass. 

I like your WP coup d'état.

:D

Jan 30, 2016, 00:03

Results depend on available talent. I know that's hard to accept if you have spent years bashing the Bok coaches, it is nevertheless true. And unlike 8 years ago, we simply don't have the talent any more. This year is likely to be grim.

Jan 30, 2016, 00:06

Results depend on available talent. I know that's hard to accept if you have spent years bashing the Bok coaches, it is nevertheless true. And unlike 8 years ago, we simply don't have the talent any more. This year is likely to be grim.

Jan 30, 2016, 01:26

Talent is one thing - the ability to execute is another.   The talented players you constantly supported lost the ability to execute years ago,   So  this is going to be a grim year according to you,  It certainly cannot be worse than 2014 and 2015 were, What a lament from idiotic Mozart!!!!  

Jan 30, 2016, 03:05

Saying doesn't make it so Tokkie. At least the players I support are making things happen like F du Preez did against Wales.....the player you supported, Raainacht, was putting on sun tan oil on a Durban beach. 

Jan 30, 2016, 03:36

If du Preez could not score that try he should not be playing rugby at all.   The try was made for him by Vermeulen and followed on a mistake made by the Welsh wing who left Du Preez with an open tryline and no defenders to beat,   What about his involvement in the constant and totally ineffective passing of balls back to the forwards - in other words the chronic inability to read the game and try out variations from a strategy that obviously did not work? 

Jan 30, 2016, 14:04

Blik, for some or other reason the text got bigger when I used the number bullets. It was none of my doing. As for the coaching team, yes I had my WP blinkers on.:D

I won't be disappointed by that setup, but I actually only want Carel to work with the backs. I have no clue as to who should be Bok coach, but I know the responsibility should not rest in one seat. We should have a collective with one strong leader...the head coach does not have to be the strong leader, but it will help. I don't see Rassie or Alistair as that strong leader.

Jan 30, 2016, 20:01

Draad, I said that (overall) I like your choice:

Carel could be a winner and Proudfoot has last year proved his coaching skills with the forwards.

Not sure about Gert Smal. I can not remember a massive impressive record throughout all the years he is coaching.

Allistair as manager could be a brilliant tactical call. His responsibilities are not clear though - media spokesperson?.

Duane as defensive coach? Defence should be part of the forward and backline coaches and Duane is still young enough for the next World Cup? 

Jan 31, 2016, 22:22

Proudfoot did an excellent job with the Stormers scrum and Carel was good with the backs, but that was 17 years ago. We need a more contemporary backline coach...odd that nobody has emerged. A guy like Breyton Paulse was tactically very astute.

Jan 31, 2016, 22:30

We have the best young talent at our disposal right now. Better than it has ever been.

We were stupid enough to give the coaching job to a conservative prick who decided to play Matfield at a time we had Lood, Willemse, PSDT, Jacques du Plessis, Ruan Botha, Jean Kleyn, Lewies, Lorens Erasmus, Carl Wegner, Mostert, Jason Jenkins and RG Snyman to choose from......says it all really.

Feb 01, 2016, 00:10

Hahaha...yes let's have Stephanie. The poor guy was so out of his depth it was a red flashing light.

Feb 01, 2016, 06:40

We have better talent available than the old goats Mozart supported.  His hatred of some players because they threatened the selection of Matfield, Alberts, Jannie du Plessis, Morne Steyn, etc is pathetic ad indicates a total inability to understand rugby.    

Feb 01, 2016, 15:22

PSDT has never been out of his depth........I'd rather have 19 year old RG Snyman in my Bok side than the utterly useless Matfield who no longer makes the Saints bench given how many games he has cost them.

In his last game for Saints I counted 4 possessions conceded by the old man......no wonder they lost patience with the old fart......they were of course stupid enough to sign him in the first place.

Apparently he takes lost of notes!!! 

Feb 01, 2016, 15:58

Dave

I may be wrong - but Ouma Victoria was playing for the Saints this past weekend against Wasps and the major contributor to their loss. 

Feb 01, 2016, 17:57

You 'may be wrong' but you are convinced he was a 'major contributor to their loss'? What the hell does that mean ...he did or he didn't? Meanwhile Humungous thinks 'he no longer makes their bench'.

Perhaps you fools should get your facts straight first.

As for Stephanie, the kid competed with Coenie and Kriel for our most out of their depth  player at the RWC. But Stephanie gets my vote....totally useless.

Feb 01, 2016, 18:33

Mozart

He gave away two penalties - both converted by Wasps - that to start with.  The man is of no value anymore and that is a fact as well.   

Feb 01, 2016, 18:48

The most out of depth players at the RWC were Alberts, Pienaar, Morne Steyn,  Matfield and Jannie du Plessis because they were so far beyond their sell-by dates.   Fact        

Feb 01, 2016, 19:16

Man of the Match Victor in the playoff final out of his depth? Hahaha....how many MOMS did Kriel, Stephanie and Coenie get. Stephanie was kid out there weak and stunningly clumsy.

Feb 01, 2016, 19:59

That is the kind of idiocy that turned the squad last year into a serious joke.   MOM in a match against the Argentina B-team - where the wrong player got the  MOM because it was his last test.  He was as useless in that game as he was in the rest of the tournament - the real MOM in that game should have been Malherbe.

If Victoria was such a good player in the WC - why is he such  a disgrace two months on for his club?   Weak Du Toit?  Nobody could be as physically deficient as Matfield is.  What a joke !!!      

Feb 01, 2016, 21:36

It wasn't the B locks old chap....check it out. He dominated the first string Bargie pair, hence he got the MOM award. Malherbe by contrast was up against a B prop. So kind of you to have raised the issue.

Feb 02, 2016, 09:29

Rassie's been out of the loop for many a year.

Does he even remember what it's like to coach a team ... I mean without flipping light switches and sending out Morse code messages from on high???

Is he seriously the best we can come up with? Talk about being desperate.

All I can say is ... STAY AWAY FROM ACKERMAN!!!!!!!

Feb 02, 2016, 10:06

The last contribution of the fool was as follows:-

"It wasn't the B locks old chap....check it out. He dominated the first string Bargie pair, hence he got the MOM award. Malherbe by contrast was up against a B prop. So kind of you to have raised the issue"

Rugby happens to be a team sport and the team fielded by the Argentinians was decidedly below the team fielded in the semi - yet he claimed that Victoria dominated his opposing players.   Victoria was piss-poor in the game against Japan and he made a major contribution to the loss against New Zealand - but the fool carried on about the failed player.

When De Jager was MOM in a game against a full National side - he derided the decision - yet against a decidedly "B" team he is all agog about Victoria.   

Mozart once again proved he is the prime idiot on this site - trying to convince us that a failed player was an acceptable selection for the WC squad.  Why does he not answer the following  question:-

"If Victoria was such a good player in the WC - why is he such  a disgrace two months on for his club?"

Several layers of egg over his mug and he still adds to it by the day.             

Feb 02, 2016, 20:43

Matfield was brought back this last weekend as Lawes is on England duty and yes once again he was as pathetic as he has been since his return to rugby

Matfield was not close to being MOM in that 3rd place playoff against the Argie B side......the best Bok player by some distance was Malherbe

As for PSDT, he had very little action in the WC......he replaced Alberts at 7 and was far superior in that game

Out of his depth my arse......as I have said, PSDT has never been out of his depth and never will be.....is going to be a Bok for the next decade.

The only disgrace this WC was Matfield who lost us the semi......worst player in the squad along with Kirchner, Mvovo, Jean, Morne, Pienaar, Jannie, Brits and Alberts

Our best players were JP, Habana, de Allende, Kriel, Pollard, Lambie, du Preez, Beast, Bismark, Strauss, Nyakane, Malherbe, Etzebeth, Lood, Vermeulen and Schalk........the best player being Lood, closely followed by Etzebeth, Malherbe and de Allende.

Feb 05, 2016, 17:26

May 27, 2020, 00:56

One of the first Rassie threads showing early fans and critics.

---

Jan 27, 2016, 06:14

Great coaches have character. To me Rassie is always running away from the task rather than embracing it....and Mallett is the critics critic. I would take Coetzee in a heart beat vs these two show ponies.

May 27, 2020, 01:06

Any solid arguments from either yourself, Beeno or ou Maaikie that you would bracket in with anything in the video that I posted? 

The floor is yours. 

May 27, 2020, 01:12

Some of us do not need to be as spoonfed to identify talent...

May 27, 2020, 02:33

Oops and who was wrong 100% on the Erasmus issue,  Who would have gone  with Coetzee in a flash?   

Now we have a case where we had the great Meyer - always supported by Mozart - and Flashguy   Coetzee Mozart's new favourite after the Japan disaster was the final nail in the coffin of Meyer,  So Mozart's selection of Coetzee turned out to be a worse disaster than Meyer was as Coach,

Now we have to be reminded about the attacks on Erasmus by especially Mozart and AO when rumors started doing he rounds that the President and CEO of SA Rugby went to Irelamd to plead with Erasmus to come back to SA and try and save SA Rugby from the ashes Meyer and Coetzee left it in.

The howls before the appointment of Erasmus was equaled by the screams at the end of 2018 when the critics did  not want to see positive signs emerging from the side,   They did not want to admit that for the first time in a decade the Springboks won an away test against the AB's.  And then the chorus re-opened when Erasmus had the audacity to  send his first choice 15 players to New Zealand two weeks before the start of the RC in 2019,   

After winning the RC trophy the real jokes emerged -   the performance of the 2015 Springboks - who lost al three RC tests - were better than the Cup winners in 2019.    Anyway - the situation for the Erasmus haters got worse when the Springboks beat the much improved Japan side 41-7 in the RC warm-up game before - and then the final hurrah for them when the AB's beat the Springboks in the first game in the RWC,   They obviously forgot that in 2015 the Springboks lost their first game in the RWC against - wait for it -  Japan,   

Anyway lets forget the doomsday stories after the semi-final after Wales managed to draw level with the Springboks a couple of times and in the end lost the game.   AO was too big a coward to write anything on site,    So the Springboks demolished the England team and the jeremiads started immediately -  the Springboks lost against the All Blacks in the series, so the AB's are the best team in the world.   The joke was that the English beat the AB's easily in the semi and the Springboks demolishing the English team meant nothing.   Even the NZ commentators said the AB's would have had no chance in beating the Springboks in the final.

Round about the week before the WC final it came out that it would be Erasmus last game as coach and that a new Head coach  would be appointed soon,   That was enough to set off the drama queens in full cry,   The more they were told that Erasmus was appointed as SARU Director of Rugby and never as Head Coach and that he took on the Head Coach duties only as an interim measure until a new Head Coach would be appointed - the cowardice stories flooded the site again.  

It got even worse when after the public outcry Erasmus assured the Springbok supporters that he will have a more hands-on approach  as Director of Rugby and especially when it came out that SARU will appoint the coaches Erasmus identified and that one lasted for near to two months,  Since then we had a new story - Erasmus was useless as a coach - Nienaber was the real reason for winning the WC and the only players our great rugby geniuses praised on site were Beast and Mostert.   

How can our local rugby experts get it so wrong,  2019 was a disaster for them and then some worse news followed - their preferred coaches got fired by their clubs for gross incompetence,

So what are they going to come up with next???                                                  

May 27, 2020, 03:23

Ceradyne

Thanks for the question.   There are some things that I genuinely had doubts about,   One of thee major ones was the selection of a 6-2 combination for the bench - the so-called "bomb squad",  For the rest I was critical of the amount of kicking by especially Faf and it was an eye-opener for me to see what came out in the two videos of Squidge.    

I genuinely supported Erasmus's  team selections and realized how he assigned special roles to players - but at the same time used the natural talent of players and fine-tuned it and the roles he assigned to Du Toit and De Allende, 

I also read some articles in which the Munster players commented on Erasmus as coach in the time he was there,    They found something new in his approach - probably his studious approach to the game - but they found him to be a top class coach,  I also was not surprised when James O'Connor said positive things about Erasmus as a coach.                      

May 27, 2020, 12:09

Posted by: clevermike (41333 posts)

May 27, 2020, 03:23

Ceradyne

Thanks for the question.   There are some things that I genuinely had doubts about,   One of thee major ones was the selection of a 6-2 combination for the bench - the so-called "bomb squad",   “

OK. So you do admit that that could not have been one of your arguments that would have convinced me about Rassie. I’m looking for your arguments that “could be bracketed in with those in the video” that would have convinced me. This one contradicts the video. And it is a big one because the bomb squad was one of Rassie’s core strategies.

“  For the rest I was critical of the amount of kicking by especially Faf and it was an eye-opener for me to see what came out in the two videos of Squidge.    

Granted. As was I. So, you agree with me that you could not have convinced me on that argument either. 

“ I genuinely supported Erasmus's  team selections and realized how he assigned special roles to players “

I‘m not saying that you are lying, and I could not have witnessed you physically posting that, but it is hard to picture you doing it with a straight face and without having your fingers crossed behind your back. 

Shall we discuss your blind support for Jantjies, Mostert and Frans Steyn being included in the squad?

May 27, 2020, 12:45

Windpomp you are being a dumbass. 

I have been touting Rassie from his captaining and coaching Free State and arguing for his coaching ability in probably hundreds of posts. 

You say nobody gave you sufficient evidence to get you to change your mind about Rassie!!

What a silly argument. The evidence to see Rassie was good was right before your eyes! Why didn't YOU see it like others did.

Are you dependent on others having to. convince you when you yourself can make a judgement. 

Fact is Windpomp you got it all wrong. Just admit it and move on and stop blaming others for your huge error in judgement.

Mike and I and even Sharktwit got it right. The frot shark followed my advise and got it right. That should have been a lesson for him. Bwahahahaha!!! 

May 27, 2020, 12:52

Ou dense Denise said - he (Rassie) is just another pretender - next.

Dense probably thought he sounded very cool very decisive, the last word in the debate. Move on guys I dense have got this covered. 

It's hilarious and makes the board such a funny place!!!! :D

May 27, 2020, 13:43

"What a silly argument. The evidence to see Rassie was good was right before your eyes! Why didn't YOU see it like others did. "

Go on then. Give me examples of where, before the start of RWC2019, you provided any solid evidence of Rassie's brilliance. Other than your usual breathless adjectives like "he's a brilliant rugby rugby brain". Or he has an eye for detail - I have fokol idea of what detail he has an eye for, but I read somewhere that he has an eye for detail. Or he won the CC with the Free State. Or the was the brain behind Coetzee when he was still with the Stormers. He was responsible every time when the Stormers did OK but the times they fucked up. No, that had nothing to do with him. Those rested squarely on Coetzee alone. etc, etc, etc.

Where did you explain away his inclusion of the list of players that I have given time and again?

May 27, 2020, 13:56

Go and look at your thread about how you changed your mind. I posted a summary as to what you are up too. 

Hilarious stuff from the Windpomper! 

May 27, 2020, 14:26

OK. I’m on my way there. You coming along?

May 27, 2020, 14:52

I doubted Rassie after the Welsh WC game.

At the time, I said, I'm starting to doubt him and the permanent kicking game plan, but I do hope that there is a switch in tactics on the cards for the final...

So my doubt was padded with a prediction which turned out to be not too far off. 

Eddie Jones was completely blindsided by the Boks suddenly spreading the ball early and it helped us get early momentum and ultimately win the game.

For me, let's give the Jake Whites and Rassies their credit because hell, a WC final win isn't something that comes along every day.

May 27, 2020, 18:42

Ceradyne

I was talking about the play-off games - not the squad selection.   To be quite frank I would not have picked Jantjies and Steyn and had reservations about Mostert as well - especially after his poor performances in the RC.   But there were reasons those three were picked and in the end all three were basically dirt trackers starting against weaker teams and Steyn and Mostert playing from the bench.

May 27, 2020, 20:25

You would make a spin doctor dizzy. 

May 28, 2020, 15:03

Eddie Jones wasn't blindsided by anything. The Boks were very predictable from beginning to end. To think that Jones saw something different or something he couldn't comprehend is deluded and insullting to the man. The game is won and lost in the trenches. The Boks beat the Poms in the set pieces and collisions. It's that simple. The was no tactical variation or new plays or patterns. Throwing the ball wide of a three man pod is something the Boks have done a lot of under Rassie. Think back to the EOYT of 2018, or the second Argie test of 2018, or the 2019 RC, they even did it in the WC. Nothing new. Dour Stompie phase play made succesful with a couple moments of individual magic by two wings. 

May 28, 2020, 16:05

Eddie was completely blindsided - was completely outsmarted on the day - fact

Obvious change in tactics in all the 3 playoff games

The subtle change in kicking from 9 to 10 in the final threw the poor Poms - beautifully subtle but so effective

Rassie is a master tactician - makes the rest of our Bok coaches look like a bunch of puppets

The man is a rugby genius

May 28, 2020, 16:29

"The subtle change in kicking from 9 to 10 in the final threw the poor Poms - beautifully subtle but so effective"

That's true, but the Poms should have figured it out the second time they got suckered...and probably did...it was our defense trench warfare and intensity that got to the Poms. We absorbed the pressure and waited for the opportunities.

May 28, 2020, 16:50

If you prepare for kicks from the 9 you are already in position to receive the kick. The 9 kicks blindly hoping for the best.

You shift it to 10, those waiting for the kick from 9 will be caught in two minds, are the Boks running it or is 10 going to kick.

Kicking from 10 gives you scope to survey and position your kick accordingly

It only takes a few of these subtle changes to throw the opposition and set the tone for the game.

The Poms were all over the show, with Youngs and co throwing wild passes to nowhere

May 28, 2020, 17:09

I think the Poms were over confident and the few subtle difference in our play unsettled them...as did our impenetrable defense....and losing Sinckler....it wasn't their day...the Boks made sure of it.:D

May 28, 2020, 22:44

It’s hardly ever the Poms day when it comes to playing the Boks

May 29, 2020, 00:33

England and the Boks have traditionally had the strongest forward packs over the last 20 years or so.
Sometimes both have played lots of 10 man rugby, and sometimes good attacking XV man rugby. 

The Boks are a bogey team for England, just like England is "bit" of a bogey team for New Zealand. 

New Zealand changed their game plan for the semi vs England and put lock Barrat at loose forward to add more power to the pack. However, it did not work well with the England pack dominating possession, and the All Blacks looked slower to the rucks resulting in fewer opportunities for turnovers. 

Barrat was wasted at XV, instead of being at 10.
Even if the All Black pack gets less than 50% possession and territory, Barrat at 10 gives them more opportunist and counter-attacking chances. 

The standard game plan was used against Ireland, who lacked the pace to keep up with the high tempo All Black game. The All Blacks sacrificed this somewhat in the semi and they looked well of the pace against England. Their forward pack was weaker than cheerleaders and they were not nearly physical enough. 

England was arguably the favourites going into the final having knocked out the All Blacks, but they had a really slow start, and then eventually getting back into the game for the Bomb squad to put them away. 

May 29, 2020, 03:45

What still amazes me is that after being he first team ever to win the RC and WC in the same year the nonsense spouted by some members about Erasmus  continued,   The only thing they come up with is that Erasmus played no role in winning the two trophies - it was all done by Proudfoot and Nienaber,  

That being said they forgot that Erasmus was the key person involved with the selection of the coaching staff and that it was he who brought in three key appointees -  Nienaber, Felix Jones and Walters.    Nienaber was for near to 15 years working with Erasmus and they are not only close friends - Nienaber admitted openly that in that period he learned all he knows about rugby coaching from Erasmus,   

Jones had one thing in common with Erasmus and that was his studious approach to the game.  If one watch carefully you would notice how many times during games the two  high-fived each other when one of the obvious strategies were implemented faultlessly,   What was also new is that Jones was appointed permanently as part of the  coaching squad with a special assignment of keeping a close check of Springboks and potential Springboks playing club rugby in Europe, He also has to advise them on  new strategies developed by the coaching staff,  Walters - the fitness coach has now left the Springboks and was big a loss as Proudfoot,   

The losses of Proudfoot  and Walters were no real surprises.   They showed real class as part if the Erasmus coaching set-up - and their market value increased drastically,    Proudfoot was always a good forwards coach, but under Coetzee he did himself no favors - under Erasmus he reached a new height in coaching achievements.

One can only believe that the real reason for their dislike is that Erasmus showed that their first choice coaches - Meyer and Coetzee -  were inadequate and Erasmus showed why they were not up to standard.    Some members refused to ever admit that they were wrong about things and Erasmus is proof of their main idiocies spouted on site for years,                    .                             

May 29, 2020, 08:35

Aug,

Not being prepared and not being able to comprehend ain't the same thing.

You need to Log in to reply.