Rassie banned for 2 months

Forum » Rugby » Rassie banned for 2 months

Nov 17, 2021, 20:13

Erasmus banned from any rugby activity with immediate effect 5:35pm, 17 November 2021 By Liam Heagney Rassie Erasmus INTERNATIONAL SOUTH AFRICA 5:35pm, 17 November 2021 Go to comments Springboks director of rugby Rassie Erasmus has been banned from all rugby activity for two months with immediate effect following a disciplinary hearing after he was charged with misconduct during the Test series last July versus the British and Irish Lions. He has also been banned from any involvement on a matchday until September 30 next year and must write a letter of apology while SA Rugby must pay a fine of £20,000.

In a statement released on Wednesday evening, World Rugby reported: “An independent misconduct committee has found that behaviour displayed by SA Rugby director of dugby Rassie Erasmus towards match officials during this year’s Test series between South Africa and the British and Irish Lions constituted misconduct.

“The committee was chaired by Christopher Quinlan QC, together with Nigel Hampton QC and Judge Mike Mika (both New Zealand). Six charges were brought by World Rugby against Rassie Erasmus for various breaches of World Rugby regulation 18 and World Rugby’s code of conduct. The charges in summary were that Mr Erasmus:

threatened a match official that unless a requested meeting took place, he would publish footage containing clips criticising the match official’s performance and then making good on that threat; published or permitted to be published the Erasmus Video containing numerous comments that were either abusive, insulting and/or offensive to match officials; attacked, disparaged and/or denigrated the game and the match officials; did not accept or observe the authority and decisions of match officials; published or caused to be published criticism of the manner in which a match official handled a match; engaged in conduct or activity that may impair public confidence in the integrity and good character of match official(s); and brought the game into disrepute when he published or caused to be published the Erasmus Video. “Having considered all the evidence, including oral evidence from the match officials, Rassie Erasmus, SA Rugby, World Rugby, and submissions from the parties the committee found all six charges against Mr Erasmus proved.

“Two charges were brought by World Rugby against SA Rugby in accordance with World Rugby Regulation 18 and the World Rugby Code of Conduct. In summary, the charges were that SA Rugby:

did not ensure that Rassie Erasmus complied with the World Rugby Code of Conduct and/or permitted Mr Erasmus to commit acts of misconduct; and/or did not publicly correct any comments or publications by or on behalf of Mr Erasmus that amounted to misconduct; and permitted and/or did not prevent Siya Kolisi and Mzwandile Stick to make comments at a press conference on 30 July, 2021 that were not disciplined or sporting and adversely affected the game of rugby; and/or did not publicly correct any such comments so as adversely affected the game of rugby. “Having considered all the evidence, including oral evidence from the match officials, Rassie Erasmus, SA Rugby, World Rugby, and submissions from the parties, the committee found the first charge against SA Rugby proved.

Having considered submissions on behalf of both parties in respect of sanction, the independent committee decided on the following:

Rassie Erasmus

Suspension with immediate effect from all rugby activities for two months Suspension from all match-day activities (including coaching, contact with match officials, and media engagement) with immediate effect until 30 September, 2022 A warning as to his future conduct and an apology to the relevant match officials.

SA Rugby

A fine of £20,000 A warning as to future conduct and an apology to the relevant match officials The parties have seven days to appeal from receipt of the full written decision.

Nov 17, 2021, 20:20

A very sad day for South African rugby and for Rassie Erasmus. This is an unprecedented fall from grace for a man who had a respected place in the  rugby world. Also for his captain who has been caught up in the controversy.

I’m not surprised at the result, but it was a mistake to release it before the English test. It will cloud the whole day now.

Nov 17, 2021, 20:30

Horse manure...pobably a non disclose agreement too...and it looks like additional charges were added after the fact...yet another example of an amateurish old boys club running a professional sport worth millions at the tab...

Nov 17, 2021, 20:33

Hardly a fall from grace, Rassie will continue to steer the ship and keep us at number 1

He was always going to get punished and 2 months is nothing considering Saturday is the only test falling within his 2 month ban

My guess is this will motivate the side even more to win Saturdays test for the coach they love

Nov 17, 2021, 20:56

We are still none the the wiser. Whst was the evidence?

They say published or caused to be published. Don't they KNOW what happened. Rassie's lawyers were adamant Rassie did not lead the video. 

No wonder these frot creatures never wanted an open hearing.

So what are these Crooked rats going to do about Berry? 

Let's see what happens. 

Nov 17, 2021, 20:56

No crocodile tears Moz you have hated Rassie from day one. 

Nov 17, 2021, 21:05

The timing is a joke. 

World Rugby could have made this decision after the tour, but instead, they have done it during the tour to be disruptive. 
They ruined the 4 Nations tour by saying it was imminent, so much so that Rassie did not tour so he could prepare his case. That never happened, and still, it dragged on.  
Now they are doing it before the final test against England. 

Some of those other charges sound more serious - like threats to ruin the reputation of a referee. 

Nov 17, 2021, 21:15

"The committee was chaired by Christopher Quinlan QC, together with Nigel Hampton QC and Judge Mike Mika (both New Zealand). "

"The charges in summary were that Mr Erasmus:

threatened a match official that unless a requested meeting took place, he would publish footage containing clips criticising the match official’s performance and then making good on that threat;" (This is new?)

"Having considered all the evidence, including oral evidence from the match officials,..."

"The parties have seven days to appeal from receipt of the full written decision."

This might not be over yet...

Nov 17, 2021, 21:17

"Some of those other charges sound more serious - like threats to ruin the reputation of a referee."

Serious charges should be backed up by hard evidence...

Nov 17, 2021, 21:22

So on the panel were two nz oaks only too willing to get rid of Rassie so they can reclaim the number 1 ranking. I ask you, our biggest rivals were asked to judge this matter!!!!!!!

Yes one expects an appeal.

Nov 17, 2021, 21:24

They accepted what Berry stated and that sounds to me as not any supporting evidence of any sort.    This one is likely to go to court - so lets wait and see what happens.     The fact is the ban is  for two months and there are no tests involving SA in that period.               

Nov 17, 2021, 21:43

It's more than just a 2 month ban...read again...effectively banned till the end of September next year...and he has to apologize...

Nov 17, 2021, 21:48

Rassiegate: SA Rugby and Erasmus issue joint statement in wake of WR ruling 6:12pm, 17 November 2021 By PA Rassie Erasmus /Getty INTERNATIONAL SOUTH AFRICA 6:12pm, 17 November 2021 1 Comments SA Rugby and Springboks Director of Rugby Rassie Erasmus have issued a joint statement in wake of World Rugby’s disciplinary ruling this evening, confirming that they will appeal the decision.

Erasmus has been banned from all rugby activity for two months after six charges of misconduct against him were upheld.

The charges were brought by World Rugby in response to Erasmus’ behaviour towards match officials during the Springboks’ 2-1 series victory over the British and Irish Lions in the summer.

Erasmus is also suspended from all match-day activities, including coaching and media engagement, until September 30, 2022.

It means the mastermind of South Africa’s 2019 World Cup triumph will play no part in Saturday’s clash with England at Twickenham.

Erasmus and SA Rugby, who also faced two charges, have confirmed in a statement that they will appeal the decisions.

Erasmus used social media to highlight refereeing inconsistencies, starting with the Lions’ defeat to South Africa ‘A’, and after the first Test released an hour-long video critiquing the performance of the officials.

The charges upheld by an independent misconduct committee included attacking, disparaging and/or denigrating the game and match officials and not accepting the authority of match officials.

The first charge said that Erasmus threatened a match official that unless a requested meeting took place, he would publish footage containing clips criticising the match official’s performance and then made good on that threat.

Erasmus has also been given warning as to his future conduct and must apologise to the relevant match officials.

SA Rugby was charged with allowing Erasmus to commit acts of misconduct and for permitting captain Siya Kolisi and assistant coach Mzwandile Stick to make comments at a press conference on July 30 that were not “disciplined or sporting and adversely affected the game of rugby”.

Both counts were upheld by the independent misconduct committee, who fined the union £20,000, issued a warning over future conduct and ordered an apology be made to the relevant match officials.

The joint statement from SA Rugby and Erasmus in response to the judgement reads: “SA Rugby and Rassie Erasmus have noted the decision of World Rugby’s judicial committee.

“Both parties confirmed they will exercise their rights to appeal the verdicts.

“Neither party will make any further comment until the process is complete.”

Nov 17, 2021, 21:54

"Erasmus is also suspended from all match-day activities, including coaching and media engagement, until September 30, 2022."

I would like to read the transcript of the whole hearing, including the legal president they based the verdict on....this isn't over by a long shot...they're trying to shaft us yet again...

"Get the Yarpies"

Nov 17, 2021, 21:56

No crocodile tears HasBeen ….nobody has died, just a few reputations. The South African sycophantic press have embarrassingly misread the situation. 

When a journalist like Jones produces the kind of article he did, it was very likely that leaks had occurred. The timing sucks, but on reflection the risk of leaks probably pushed the release.

All that rubbish about all but 3 decisions being conceded by WR is now clearly hogwash. And the tape was always hogwash. The Erasmus genie won’t get put back in the bottle.

Nov 17, 2021, 22:11

Crap Moz the findings relating to the footage have nothing to do with the verdict or sentence on Rassie and SA rugby

WR conceding that Rassie got the majority of his calls right has no bearing on them finding him guilty of bringing the game into disrepute or whatever pathetic verdict they have concocted

Nov 17, 2021, 22:32

World Rugby never conceded anything….it’s now totally obvious to all but the most biased. Actually if you simply  looked at my review of the whole stinking tape you wouldn’t be embarrassed now.

I took a lot of flak on all this, but I was the only person telling you the truth.

Nov 17, 2021, 22:57

The flak you took was totally warranted. It is you who are the big bigot. A never ending witch hunt against Rassie. Disgusting.

Nov 17, 2021, 23:08

Oh what utter rubbish Moz stop bloody kidding yourself - we all saw the tape and agreed with Rassie’s calls

You can’t stand the guy - you takes stink of biased prejudice so who the hell would agree with your takes

As a rugby follower I agreed with all of Rassie’s calls

But more to the point - the outcome of Rassie’s findings are of no consequence to the outcome of the case against Rassie

Nov 17, 2021, 23:11

Rassie is a self serving man who has hurt South African rugby, soured the sport, compromised his captain and behaved like a total fool. Pointing that out was a public service.

Enjoy your egg.

Nov 17, 2021, 23:30

Nothing self serving about Rassie he is all for his team, he has not soured the sport at all he has done the sport a service by highlighting how inept the officiating is out there. How has he compromised his captain.

Only you and a tiny handful of suspect supporters think he has acted as a fool. SA stand in support of Rassie

Nov 18, 2021, 00:13

Well, Rassie had to do it, refereeing was substandard, we had the lions series to win. So he knew what would happen but did for the boks and were happy to take it head on and live with the consequences. 

We won the Lions series, we are still number one, even if we lose on Saturday.

But we all know how messed up rugby laws are and how players play towards referees and not towards the rules.

Sort out the fucking rules and make sure all referees are consistent.

Fucking clowns, you get paid to do this job, do it right or someone else will take it 

Nov 18, 2021, 00:31

I remember my father went to Italy with his brother for the soccer world cup.  When each plane arrived in from Ireland there was people from the Irish embassy handing out newspaper cuttings on how wonderful the Irish supporters were.  They never fight, drink a little too much, they are fun and love to party.  My father saw the immediate change in supporters attitude, they all smiled and were happy.  It set the atmosphere for the whole competition.   He went to a city where the Irish were playing.  at 11am the riot police were formed up in full armor.   At 1pm there were Irish girls wearing their helmets and the police were sitting around laughing and smoking with the supporters.  There wasn't one arrest.

Rugby  is similar to Irish soccer supporters, we don't see a lot of trouble at matches.  It is safe to bring families.  There is a respect for the players, the refs and the opposition supporters.  It is a much more pleasurable experience because of it.  In Ireland we see referees abused and in some cases assaulted in soccer and GAA by players, coaches and spectators on an ongoing basis.  Have you ever watched the players surround the refs in premiership football in the England.   

I have been a big fan of Rassie from his days in Munster.  I wouldn't have him back to clean the boots.  I don't care if we didn't win a match again.

Rassie is one of the most prominent coaches in the world in one of the biggest rugby nations.  He is in a position of huge influence in world rugby not just at the international level but also in the grass roots.  He is just undermined one of the primary tenants of rugby.   It is now ok not to respect the referee.  This is a slippery slope we face.  

SA are not the only country that hate to get certain referees and feel they don't get a fair shake ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz48ClAquzI ).   We all wish that the standard was better and more consistent.  The international referees are untouchable.  It is frustrating.    However, there is a review process of feedback after each international game.  

This is the first time in the hundreds of international matches and thousands matches of professional rugby that there was a leek in the team feedback.  I do not believe Rassie for a minute.  This hour long video does not feel like feedback to the referee panel.   

If Rassie and SA are not happy with the feedback process then fix it via the back channels.  As I said, they are one of the biggest rugby nations.   They are a critical part of world rugby.   

I am very disappointed that he did not get a 1 year ban from all rugby.   I think he should have lost his job.   He was very clever and you won the lions tour but we have yet to see the price we will all pay for his gamesmanship.

Nov 18, 2021, 00:34

Rassie does nothing that doesn’t serve Rassie. He has made his successor’s job infinitely more difficult, not giving him the clean shot at success he himself was given.

Only you and a tiny handful of suspect supporters think he has acted as a fool. SA stand in support of Rassie’

Correction ….only a handful of honest thinkers in SA think he acted as a fool…..pretty much everybody outside the South African camp knows he behaved foolishly.

Nov 18, 2021, 00:44

Everyone I know don't think it was foolish.  We think it was disgusting and completely unacceptable.  I don't care where the coach comes from you don't attack a referee.

As our old friend Nigel said.... This is not soccer. 

Nov 18, 2021, 00:55

Actually you could see the effects in the behavior of the South African players. It was claimed only the captains would address the refs, but in subsequent matches many of the players felt free to confront the refs. What are the kids to make of this kind of behaviour.

South Africans are obviously proud of the team’s success. Me a little less so because of the rugby we played, but I still think we have demonstrated our potential. This man has let them all down and it’s sad to see them rallying round to support him.

South African writers are accusing the process of racism. How quickly they learn!

It’s all a bit of a disgrace.

Nov 18, 2021, 01:01

I  read this site a lot and don't comment very often but I think this is the first time I EVER agreed with you Mozart.

Ok the world has turned upside down.  

Nov 18, 2021, 01:36

Moz what part don’t you get when it comes to Rassie?

At no point was he ever going to give up the hands on coaching role - he is the brains behind the Boks, it’s certainly not Neinaber the physio

Rassie in his own words said he would remain hands on.

But he also spends time on rugby related matters away from the Boks leaving Neinaber to hold the fort when less hands on is required

It’s a simple and obvious structure in place. It’s why Rassie promoted Neinaber as head coach - his puppet

You only have to watch Chasing the Sun to see how much the Boks mean to Rassie. Saying he is self serving is utter horse shit

Nov 18, 2021, 01:38

Boorsd fuck off with your 1 year ban you stupid prick

Nov 18, 2021, 02:00

Like SA Rugby needs any more problems...what a selfish and stupid act. It did not better the game at all, no all it did is give SA Rugby and there faithful supporters, a sore loser reputation. Big fat egg salad.

Nov 18, 2021, 02:01

Wow Saffex you really put me back in my box with your insightful argument.

You have one of the most influential people in world rugby make a direct attack on a referee in a public forum.   This has had a significant negative impact on his personal and professional life.  What does he deserve.  

I bet you if he was from Georgia he would have more that a joke of a 2 month ban considering your next match in 6 months time?   12 months is what 12 matches.  

But again poooooor old SA you are being victimised.   Grow a pair and put on your big boy pants.  

Nov 18, 2021, 02:06

Boorad, please don't agitate Unterling any more. After being knocked about like a punching bag the last few days, the poor dear is on the verge of prolapsing again. I'm afraid rectal reattachment is no longer an option, and he'll thus be bound to a stoma for life. Thanking you kindly in advance. 

Nov 18, 2021, 03:11

Video on YouTube by Rassie entitled: “ Don’t be an Entitled Dick Like I was as a Player “ makes a person wonder if this is also now his coaching Moto?

Nov 18, 2021, 08:25

"Fucking clowns, you get paid to do this job, do it right or someone else will take it"

So basically, you're saying replace the best refs with less qualified and less experienced refs? Not the first time this seemingly doomed strategy has been put forward. Good luck with that!

And where are these people queueing up to become rugby refs? Why would anyone want to become the latest target for the hordes of ignorant ref-bashers who sit dopping on their couches at home and think they know more than the professionals? 

We should be grateful that anybody wants to perform the most thankless task on the planet but instead we ridicule and deride them and bring their honesty and integrity into question.

Rassie and all those who condone his pathetic behaviour are a bunch of snivelling, sore-loser crybabies who are better off finding another sport to watch, because rugby reffing is as good as it's going to get.

Nov 18, 2021, 09:25

"It did not better the game at all"

I disagree, it definitely did improve the game.

I don't think that anyone can really dispute the fact that refereeing in rugby games has improved .... in almost every game since this issue was raised.

Refs and TMO's are a bit more cautious with shooting from the hip on certain decisions and rather making certain on specific cases of infringements or penalties, cards, tries etc etc.

Not saying I agree with it.....because it does slow the game down...…..I do think though, that it's a damn pity that all this shit had to happen to ensure better or more consistent ref decisions.

Nov 18, 2021, 09:28

Actually it got worse. It achieved the result Josè desired, at the detriment of the game itself. The Boks have been beneficiaries of hideously lopsided reffing. That was his aim, and he got it. He had to pay a price for it though, and that's left the Kult of Josè up in arms. 

Nov 18, 2021, 09:56

The standard of reffing hasn't changed. The only reason South African crybaby supporters haven't been blubbering is because we've been winning.

Refs are human, they make errors and they will continue to do so. The errors haven't increased or decreased significantly and there's no reason to believe they will.

Nov 18, 2021, 10:01

"Actually it got worse"

I don't agree, it definitely got better..... far more consistent decisions were correct

"It achieved the result Josè desired, at the detriment of the game itself"

So what exactly are you saying it is that Rassie deliberately set out to achieve here?

Nov 18, 2021, 10:02

"The standard of reffing hasn't changed"

Of course it has.... you are blind to it

Nov 18, 2021, 14:36

Anyone else would have got at least a six month ban.

But he was sentenced. Showing that WR is losing patience with SA rugby.

The end is near.

Nov 18, 2021, 15:11

Nov 18, 2021, 15:36

Nov 18, 2021, 15:58

An “independent” committee.

Pretty much says it all.

What a joke.

Nov 18, 2021, 16:01

Also understand that when Rooi is accusing people of being snivelling crybabies that it’s merely his very own special brand of virtue signalling.

Nov 18, 2021, 17:13

You know mos …..

Nov 18, 2021, 21:28

Rooi I can live with the ref being human and making mistakes but I can’t accept the TMO getting so much wrong by not picking up on the refs mistakes

Nov 18, 2021, 22:43

I definitely think it has had a negative impact on the game.   

The overuse of the TMO for the last two lions matches and the Autumn internationals took from the games.  The referee spends ages reviewing everything 20 different ways just in case they make a mistake.  We are sacrificing momentum and game flow.   

Also in the Autumn internationals there were more players questioning the referee in their decisions and the referees explaining why.   Only the captain should talk to the referee and everyone else should shut up.   

Rugby is the most complicated field sport in the world.   There are so many rules and  interpretations.  The SA teams struggled in the pro 16 because the Northern hemisphere refs interpret the game different to the Southern referees.  No referee can get it 100% right because in a lot of cases there is no black and white answer.   

Most people accept that the referees will get things wrong and know sometimes we win and sometimes we lost.  That is not to say we should be trying to improve.  

We recently tried the Captain's challenge, sounds like a great idea but not great in practice.  We won't be seeing that again soon.    We rebadged the linemen as assistant referees but mostly they are just linesmen.   They should shoulder more responsibility (off sides, collapsing scrums etc).  Maybe we make the TMO a distinct job with specialized training and separate career paths to the referee.  We could look at using retired referees to be retrained for this role.  Maybe we have two referees on the pitch.   There are lot of things we can try but dumping on the referee when he makes mistakes are not the answer.

Nov 18, 2021, 22:49

I’d rather see the TMO take his time than have a game littered with incorrect calls

You need to Log in to reply.