ouMaaik

Forum » Rugby » ouMaaik

Nov 05, 2019, 22:20

Do you know how many of our 31 RWC squad will be playing overseas next year?

Nov 06, 2019, 00:00

Yes - Willie, Kolbe, Kriel, de Allende, Steyn, Pollard, Faf, Reinach, Koch, Etzebeth, Lood, RG, Mostert, Louw.

Brits retired

Not sure what Vermeulen is doing

Half the squad gone

Nov 06, 2019, 06:48

Du Toit was expected by some to be contracted as well - he had four offers from overseas clubs but turned them down.    His family is very wealthy and he apparently are quite happy to remain in view of his interest in being in Cape Town and near the farming activities of the Du Toit family, 

Malherbe also decided to stay in SA for family reasons.  Spoke to his father and he confirmed what I wrote.        

Nov 06, 2019, 06:55

Dave

I do not know about Steyn - he tried to come back to SA - but I am not sure why he abandoned that,   Don't think he could find a suitable local contract - is he still  on contract with Montpellier?

His comments at the press conference yesterday seems to confirm that he is not going overseas,   

Nov 06, 2019, 08:48

I wonder if Eben will have the same issue Duane had when playing for the Bokke...some of the Top14 club owners are full of "it" when in comes to their players playing test rugby.

Nov 06, 2019, 09:36

Thanks, I'm sadly half-seker that Marx's on the exitlist as well, hope I'm wrong .

Nov 06, 2019, 09:39

Draad

There is apparently a new condition included in all new contracts with NH clubs on the insistence of Erasmus.   That is that the Clubs have no choice but to release players they contracted to play test rugby.

I think the problem was with previous contracts which did not contain the relevant condition.       

You need to Log in to reply.