Oom Rugby makes some very interesting points

Forum » Rugby » Oom Rugby makes some very interesting points

Nov 07, 2019, 15:52

https://www.sarugbymag.co.za/oom-rugby-breaks-down-the-moments-that-mattered

Read this article, it's perhaps the best description of some of the micro things the Boks did to succeed. I commented elsewhere on Stephanie's rush defence onto Ford. Interesting because Rassie himself used exactly the same tactic onto Larkham in the early 2000 period. The Aussies became so frustrated they put Matt Cockbain on the field who punched Erasmus into oblivion on the deck.

It's cool that this tactic was resurrected for the big game....but it's so disruptive one wonders why every team doesn't do it.

The point on the 3 on 2 running pods echo stuff Augie has written and the double tackles was another interesting observation. This starts to make sense of the English malaise.

Nov 07, 2019, 16:13

Faf also plays a huge role in getting into the faces of the opposition causing an absolute nuisance all the time

Faf is great at blunting sides momentum

Nov 07, 2019, 16:25

Very true..in that move where Kolbe smothers Lawes, I think Faf tackles Vunipola. He was a disruptive force the whole game. But if you haven't had a chance, read the article.....lots of interesting points, eg the 7s defence rotation.

Nov 07, 2019, 18:04

I commented elsewhere on Stephanie's rush defence onto Ford.

Very similar to the way we used Esterhuizen against Foley in the Australia game in JHB earlier this year.

Excellent article.

Nov 07, 2019, 18:26

Indeed, put some things into perspective...this whole RWC was planned in the finest of detail. 

Nov 07, 2019, 21:29

Good read - reinforcing how astute Rassie was in making the changes that threw the Poms and completely outplayed them

Nov 07, 2019, 22:17

The amazing thing about Erasmus coaching is how in the space of a week he transformed a rubbish kicking game(Wales) into a near clinical demolition of England. That takes some coaching. It can be done......but in the space of a week!!!?

Nov 07, 2019, 22:33

Against Wales he clearly wanted us to kick everything and England were expecting the same in the final.

The change in plan threw the Poms like the subtle change of moving the kicking from 9 to 10

We were hoping Rassie would change the plan for the final and he did

Master stroke

Nov 07, 2019, 22:51

Denny

There is one thing that was clear from the article was that the  Springboks play is more related to variation.   Swys de Bruin said that Erasmus in a meeting in May 2018 outlined the way the game should be played,    There were never any changes to the plan.  The plan allows for variation - but  one has to look what happened in the Welsh game.  The only problem for 2018 was to test players to see how they perform and fit into the plan and make sure that this year you end up with a team that could be the best players to execute strategies.   That is why a number of players missed the boat.   

Before the game the players were fully informed how the game would be played,   Some players had an off day at work and there were indeed problems.   Erasmus told he players that in all previous tests over the last 4 years SA tried to beat Wales by pace and it did not work out.   So he instructed De Klerk to kick the leather off the ball.  

The long term plan of Erasmus aimed at getting SA out of a mess was always consistent - hence the higher number of tries scored compared to  tries given away,  I think the key with Erasmus is to study the games of opposition countries and then determine where they have weaknesses and how to exploit those. 

I think Erasmus is a type of coach Australia would pay a fortune for. 

Nov 07, 2019, 22:58

Only an Ozzie can coach an Ozzie team. There are reasons why. Don't get carried away.

Nov 07, 2019, 22:59

:D:D:D Just a joke!!!!!!!!!!!

That would be rather difficult,   The senior coach is from the Melbourne Rebels - a South African. Next in Seniority is the Brumbies - an Australian, then the Queensland Reds - a New Zealander - finally the Waratahs,   I do not think there is a multitude of Australian coaches working in the NH or even outside Australia,   

Nov 07, 2019, 23:05

Mike, tx for the invite but my stay will be for short(10 days)......next time.:)

Nov 07, 2019, 23:08

Thanks, Oom's on the ball, with his analysis up there with our Pakie. Yo, & now I know why Stick's on the payroll.

Nov 07, 2019, 23:24

Looking at a game from above gives one more detailed understanding of a game plan tactics and implementation

It is much easier to see rugby as a chess match from above. No wonder Rassie used to be on the stadium roof for the Cheetas. 

Nov 07, 2019, 23:38

No wonder Rassie used to be on the stadium roof for the Cheetas.

:)

Nov 14, 2019, 15:36

So, what happened to the argument that the only way forward for SA was to get an overseas coach?

Nov 14, 2019, 15:50

There was no argument after the return of Erasmus - other than from some members who nearly ha a seizure about the appointment with deriding posts flooding the site,

Now that there is the fact that the Chief Coach vacancy will be filled the ideas are flooding in again,  If Nienaber does not want the post - to my mind it should go to a foreign coach.  Who else is available?   

Nov 14, 2019, 15:50

There was no argument after the return of Erasmus - other than from some members who nearly ha a seizure about the appointment with deriding posts flooding the site,

Now that there is the fact that the Chief Coach vacancy will be filled the ideas are flooding in again,  If Nienaber does not want the post - to my mind it should go to a foreign coach.  Who else is available?   

Nov 14, 2019, 16:00

What notable thing did Brits say about his retirement and that may stop some of the things written under this thread:-

“It was a season of sacrifice, but it was worth it. When we saw Rassie’s plan – and everyone bought in – we knew what we could achieve and all of us worked towards that goal.

“Everyone knew their roles and how much hard work it would take, and we got stuck in. As a squad, we spent a lot of time together and it was unbelievable being part of this experience.”

SO THE PLAN SOME MEMBERS CLAIMED DID NOT EXIST - WAS ALWAYS USED - WITH SOME VARIATION.   EVERY PLAYER KNEW HIS  ROLE AND OBVIOUSLY HOW TO ASSIST OTHER PLAYERS AS WELL,     

Nov 14, 2019, 17:45

And yet this was what Muck said in March 2019:

Anybody referring to  "The Bok coach believes the Boks are at their best if they play their traditional power game where they smash their opponents into submission rather than using skill and guile to outsmart their opponents. "  is a total nut case.   That approach was dead and buried  fifty years ago when modern dietary and training techniques resulted in a more equal situation as to forward play - there is no way that that was not total BS.   

'That approach was dead and buried'.....except that's exactly what the Boks did to win the WC. Allende smashed it up, with 2 offloads against the pasta eaters. For the rest we never had one planned backline movement in the playoffs....a few tries from turnover ball.

And in the WC final we saw the opposite of expansive rugby, the traditional Bokgame of subdue and penetrate.

The  big news,  and it's directly contrary to the Muck doctrine, is that Traditional Bok Rugby elevates us to leadership in the game and is very effective at the WC. My guess is faced with that Pom opposition even HM's newbie handicapped Boks would have won the WC.

Nov 14, 2019, 19:08

Are you referring to what Brits said?  Does not seem so since you were disparaging  of Erasmus from the word go/

What is expansive rugby?   I believe that I normally refer to comprehensive rugby and this is exactly what I always referred to.   What I am dead set against is slow and useless loosies whom you always supported in the past.   Fact is that' story you quoted is 100% the case world wide and factual as well.   So what is required a different plan to beat the forwards within the rigby environment.   There are countries with very strong forward packs - eg Georgia _ yet they get beaten through teams with the right technique,  They also get beaten because their loosies are not mobile enough and lack ball skills.

What you used to support has nothing to do with anything bar ten-man rugby which is as dead as a doornail.  Hence your erstwhile statement that 90% of the requirements of a flyhalf is to kick balls.   Comprehensive rugby as played in the WC by the Springboks has nothing to do with the rugby you used to support and that fact is supported by the  huge increase n try-scoring by backline players.

Never Mozart

Meyer could not compile a game plan if it hit him in the face.  He was recently fired by Stade Francais because of exactly his coaching incapability,   To come u with that is in fact a real joke

Nov 14, 2019, 20:42

I am referring to your confident assertion that physical dominance was dead....in the aftermath of a WC won by physical dominance.

This would be a good moment to admit you were dead wrong.

Nov 14, 2019, 21:00

Can you read English or are you just plain ignorant.   Planning technique and counter-measures are nowadays needed.   Do you understand  what that means?

Are you still ducking and diving about Erasmus coaching and still think the same as a month ago? .    

Nov 14, 2019, 21:32

The only ducking and diving bellyflops are coming from you ou  groot  pens. You said physical dominance is dead, but fortunately they never gave the Beast the message.

Nov 15, 2019, 07:36

Mozart

I said what is real in rugby and that is that players are getting stronger and bigger in the Tight 5 situations - so technique is to be a major consideration in getting the upper hand.   

The fact is that a lot is being said about Nienaber and defense and nothing yet about Proudfoot insofar as improved scrumming is concerned,   Beast was not so good in 2017 and showed huge improvement in 2018 and 2019.   

But you are ducking in diving about the real issue under discussion and in particular the coaching that you have previously being attacking Erasmus on.   So no amount of personal attacks would help you  out here.  I asked some real questions and you really are just causing your normal  clueless methods in response..  

Nov 15, 2019, 11:35

Come on Moz. Give Ou Maaikie some credit. We all know that Beast is not particularly strong and that it is all about technique. Just check out his superior technique in this picture. 

You need to Log in to reply.