Mallet supports world Rugby

Forum » Rugby » Mallet supports world Rugby

Nov 22, 2021, 20:22

He says given what they were adjudicating they reached the right conclusion….but agrees Berry didn’t do a great job. Classical Mallet political stuff.

Meanwhile I found this interesting take on Berry. Very sensible, but it was written before Bok  fans joyfully discovered they are also victims:

Put the pin back in your grenade and read why Australian referee Nic Berry did an outstanding job of handling the blockbuster first Test between the Springboks and British & Irish Lions, according to ZELIM NEL.

This time next week we’ll be at each other’s throats again because of the referee, except the rumpus after the second Test will almost certainly be around the wrongful or inconsistent sending off of players involved in the match.

What got lost in the furore over the decisions of TMO Marius Jonker is that Berry generally reffed the game like it’s supposed to be reffed.

Think about it for a second – we’re upset that players weren’t sent off the field. We’ve waited 12 years for the Lions to come back for another series and now we’d have been happier if some of them had been sent off.

When did we allow our thinking to be warped like this?

Berry kept it a 15-vs-15 contest and his calls were, for the most part, spot on. Remember, if it had been up to Berry alone, Willie’s try would have been awarded.

Regardless of the reasons for his pro-Lions decisions, Jonker’s performance served as a timely reminder that rugby is a game too grey for the surgical examination of TMOs armed with slow-motion replays.

The fact that the debate continues around his decisions only proves the point that rugby was far better off when the referee was the sole arbiter. Did they make bad calls? Sure. But so do TMOs almost every week.

The difference is that fans and spectators used to be able to celebrate or bemoan decisions in the moment, not minutes later after being put through an excruciating decision-making process.

By today’s standards, the tackle on Le Roux probably deserved a yellow card. Back when rugby was run by rational adults, before we started pretending that player safety was the primary objective of the sport, these kinds of tackles resulted in a penalty.

If you watch it again you’ll notice that Le Roux’s rotation is accelerated by Pieter-Steph du Toit pushing the fullback down.

Hamish Watson did not blatantly pile-drive Le Roux’s head into the ground and Berry rightly awarded a penalty and moved on.

This is how rugby is supposed to be officiated. Offenses are sanctioned with penalties and the sin bin is reserved for flagrant acts of foul play (professional or otherwise).

Where Berry was brave in making his calls and ensured that the integrity of the contest was protected, Kiwi ref Ben O’Keeffe isn’t going to hesitate to dip his hand into his pocket in the second Test. We’ll see at least one yellow and probably a red card.

The Boks will win and Lions fans will point out that the result may have been different had a couple of players not been sent off.

Everybody loses.

Nov 22, 2021, 21:36

So does his niece apparently.

Nov 22, 2021, 21:57

Good to see Rennie kicking off about the officiating in the Oz and Wales game

These shit standards need to be addressed good on Rassie for having the balls to speak out

Nov 23, 2021, 01:41

Rennie, Chieka and Harrassmiss….3 birds of a feather..

Nov 23, 2021, 01:57

Yep men with balls voicing against the sub standard of officiating out there

Good on them - a united front

Nov 24, 2021, 23:37

Irrespective of who makes the call and who wins it is a sport and is supposed to be a contest of teams of 15 players.

One wrong call can earn a Red card and spoil the game and the end result due to the 14 versus 15 players.

Since professional rugby has become big business it is essential that the refs , judges and TMO`s make the correct calls to keep in tune with the status of the game.

The BL`s - Springbok tests in my opinion were an example of the sub standard handling of the game and the EOTY games were no different.

The coaches and players have a right to voice their frustrations with wrong calls as do the public. 

With technology and experienced refs their should not be as many incorrect  calls made and it is high time that the IRB holds them accountable.

Nov 25, 2021, 00:46

I fully agree BUT there is a review process after matches for coaches and players to voice their concerns.  Each international match is reviewed by the referees themselves with the input from the teams.  

If the process is not working then fix the process.  Vilifying referees on TV or online by coaches and players is not in any way constructive.  It is bullying and harassment in the workplace.  Bullying in the workplace leads to poorer performance.   It leads to indecision and fear and the team that criticizes the most gets the 50-50 calls.

The rugby world is very small with only really 6 NH and 5 SH powerful countries.  They fund World rugby directly and indirectly.   World rugby is not some big autonomous organization that can dictate everything.  Ultimately the money men, in this case the top countries, have the power.

The refs while independent are still within the framework.  There is a reason the refs are independent.  I don't know if you remember back when each country provided a ref for matches.....     

It infuriates me when referees are called cheats when they make mistakes.   We know there is a bad apple in every barrel but mostly they are guys who love the game, love their job and doing their best.

Nov 25, 2021, 00:56

With technology and experienced refs their should not be as many incorrect  calls

By the way, I thought that Wayne Barnes made a couple of questionable calls that helped NZ get back into the game.   He is the most experienced referee in the world.

Nov 25, 2021, 01:48

If you got the top10 refs in the world to separately look at 10 closely  contested mauls they are likely to come up with varying decisions. Sanctions for one team, the other team or none at all.

Which says many reffing decisions are not black and white, but a matter of opinion. Many of  Harrassmiss’ calls were a matter of opinion….he submitted 36 he thought were wrong. Under the microscope Berry agreed with 17, which meant he disagreed with 19. 

Which says even under scrutiny, with the benefit of slo mo replays and no doubt expert opinion….there was still no consensus on these calls.

I keep reading on here that professionals should get calls right….sure, if they could agree what happened, and it’s very apparent they can’t.

Nov 25, 2021, 06:50

If that's really the case. the laws are too subjective and should be simplified to fit into a yes/no or black/white law aplication.

Nov 25, 2021, 08:19

"If that's really the case. the laws are too subjective and should be simplified to fit into a yes/no or black/white law application"

Spot on

Take away the possibility of having far too much interpretation into how that law is applied

Too much interpretation is what is heavily contributing to these incorrect calls

They should be more black and white

Nov 25, 2021, 11:26

Far as I'm concerned, let the TMO do try or no try when there's doubt about grounding or foot in touch and leave the rest to the onfield officials. TMOs fuck up so badly on a regular basis there's hardly any point in having them apart from making one half of rugby last 60 minutes now.

Nov 25, 2021, 12:12

My gosh Berry admitting to 17incorrect calls mea s he is the victim of the piece. 

You can be sure there more than that. Rassie tape had 26 as far as I recall. The IRB said 23.

Crooked Moz thinks that acceptable and thinks it's just wonderful RSsie got sanctioned. Now other coaches come forward.

The whole point is coaches have been complaining about incompeyent/cheating refs and nothing gets done other than sweeping it all under the carpet.

Coaches now realize they have to speak out. That horrified crooks like Moz for whom fair officiating especially when the Boks are concerned is anathema.  Crooked reffing could be very useful in getting rid of Rassie after all.

Away with all the bent crooks ruining rugby! 

Nov 25, 2021, 15:57

To me it makes perfect sense that this happened, and I really do doubt that others would not have done the same or something similar, if they were in Rassie's shoes

Just think about it... your opposite coach openly and deliberately manipulates the media to put pressure on the TMO.... it clearly worked, and nothing happened to that coach, not even a slight reprimand or sanction.... so I do not blame Rassie at all for questioning those bad calls.... I just don't agree about releasing a video to the public, which has still not yet been proven anyway.

Now you are 1-0 down in a series which happens every 12 years...….. then you fight fire with fire

Nov 25, 2021, 21:55

Mallet has no creditability in my opinion on rugby issue.

What he did to Gary prior to the world cup was an absolute disgrace.

He is a overrated ex player who is given credit for the long winning streak the Boks had which was due to a squad of excellent talented players who delivered not his coaching or management style.

The squad was brilliantly led and captained by GARRY TEICHMAN during that period.

Look at his record in Italy.....dismal at best.

Nov 25, 2021, 22:11

Nic is an authoritarian conformist d!ckhead who was never out of the system...he'll obviously side with the status quo...

Nov 25, 2021, 22:13

...but he's a good coach too...not great, but way better than average.

Nov 26, 2021, 20:31

Fair comments DbD.

You need to Log in to reply.