Libbok

Forum » Rugby » Libbok

Nov 20, 2022, 09:33

Wow what a difference he made. Perfectly equipped to get his back line moving and creating opportunities

Takes it flat with crisp precision passing

He has to start against England

Nov 20, 2022, 09:48

I think that Libbok did very well despite my previous reservations about him.          

Nov 20, 2022, 09:51

Mike he has been doing it for 2 seasons now for the Stormers

Same applies to Gelant at fullback

Nov 20, 2022, 10:04

The difference was crystal clear.

Nov 20, 2022, 10:22

I bet you Willemse starts at 10 against England

Nov 20, 2022, 10:43

I saw an article yesterday that quoted Nienaber saying he was very impressed with Libbok, and implied that Libbok is now the first choice. (At least until Pollard returns). 

Even if the Boks start with Pollard, they could use Libbok as part of the bomb squad. Or perhaps he may even leapfrog Pollard- but early days so far. 

Very likely he will start against England at 10. 

Having him at 10, and Leroux at 15 makes the Boks very effective on attack. That was the best attacking Bok team in ages. 

Nov 20, 2022, 10:49

Libbok was very good and Yes he should start.....but where should Willemse Start?

Nov 20, 2022, 11:02

Now that Esterhuizen is back, and with Delande- the Boks now have two inside centres.

That would limit Willemse's opportunity to start at 12, so he will probably return to being a utility back on the bench. He can cover all backline positions except scrumhalf. 

Frans Steyn is still in the picture, but it appears he is considered more as a fullback at the moment. 

Libbok improved the attack substantially. It was interesting to see Leroux move to 3rd receiver instead of 2nd receiver when Libbok was on the pitch. That allowed Leroux to play wider where their was a bit more space to operate in 

Nov 20, 2022, 11:18

I was seriously impressed with Libbok after coming on for Kolbe. Slotted his kicks, stood up on defence and got the backline moving forward. 

Esterhuizen made a huge difference too and it is obvious that De Allende has become a relic. He looks so uncomfortable when he actually has to pass. Got caught in two minds several times and not sure what to do. If it wasn't for his strength he would have turned over the ball several times. 

That last pass of Libbok was pure class, very risky, but he has become silky smooth. I remember watching him play for the baby boks. He just wanted to run and step the whole time. But now he knows how to use his agility to keep defenders guessing and great at setting up his outside players. 

Willemse should shift to 12, maybe Dud should go to the wing or just be dropped completely.

Alternatively, Willemse looked good on the wing, but he too has fantasic hands. Probably end up shifting back to fullback. 

But we have some decent backline players, it is okay to have a few options. Just makes our bench much stronger.

I do believe Faf needs to be dropped. However, we need a faster 9 that is not addicted to the human centipede. 

But, let's see what the coaching brain trust comes up with.

To me Pollard is not an automatic selection, he has to earn the right to be selected and right now he is out and still have regained his form 

Nov 20, 2022, 11:34

Against top tier opponents, Esterhuizen has to start at 12. We cannot play Damian at 13 against England. Libbok does deserve a start, and we really could do with giving him some experience on this tour. We have lots of names, but not a lot of defined units. Erasmus has some thinking to do. The Bok attack has look structureless and laboured when they try to speed the game up, but very scripted. There's no discernible plan for how to solve our attacking woes. 

Nov 20, 2022, 11:34

The Combination of  Libbok, Willemse and Willie on the field is what made things spark.....my opinion Willemse is a waste on the bench and is a must to start...his contributions is just to valuable......DDA won't be dropped and he was not to bad @ 13 together with Andre E....so move Willemse to 15 with Willie of the bench as impact player.....Eben and Moerat should start against ENG.

Nov 20, 2022, 11:42

I didn't see much in the way of high level attacking play. When gifted space and numerical advantages we are more than capable of scoring tries. Aside from Willie's draw and pass, we aren't creating anything.

Nov 20, 2022, 15:16

Esterhuizen did nothing of note and proved DA is our premier 12 hands down

Nov 20, 2022, 15:18

Damian is a poor man's Jorrie Muller. Esterhuizen has all the tools in the toolbox. We didn't see this very much because we are being coached by a snake oil salesman. 

Nov 20, 2022, 15:33

Ag stop speaking shit I can’t begin to take you seriously - you remind me of some other ignorant rugby poster on here

You are no doubt the same fool

DA is the best 12 in the game

Nov 20, 2022, 16:26

I am not sure about the center combination against England  - I think it would be Willemse and De Allende and to my mind the only uncertainty is who would play at 12 and who at 13.   It may even be that they would switch during the game depending on the circumstances.

As to Pollard I am not sure about his future.   He is not the player he was in 2019 and in the end unless he drastically improves in 2023 he may not make the WC quad.   He was so bad in 2021 and 2022 for Montpellier they passed him on to Leicester.    For the Springboks he was not a real pivot at all and it neutralized the Springbok backline.   

Hope Pollack returns to form - but would not put any money on that one at all.                

Nov 20, 2022, 18:46

The Boks have several shapes where 12 and 13 play different roles, depending on what they want to do with the ball. It's not useful to think in terms of 12 with 13 outside him, but rather that 12 predominantly works in the inner units and 13 with the outer units. 13, 15, 6 with a wing are usually a defined unit in the wider channels. Kolisi is used as a bit of muscle out wide to secure possession in wider attacks. Esterhuizen is the better 12, and Kriel did a good job at 13 recently. That should suffice for England. To be perfectly honest, it's not like we have a tremendous amount of viable options. So it has to be that way irregardless of how we feel about them. 

Nov 20, 2022, 19:00

Pollard has been very lethargic over the last few years. When he runs he looks very crouched up and cumbersome. He should be in his prime now, instead, he was better when he was 21. He should have signed a one-year deal with the Bulls to prepare for the world cup under Jake White. 
Then he could have gone overseas again.

Nov 20, 2022, 19:46

That wasn’t a test exposure…it was a walk in the park. Let’s see how he goes if he starts against England. Don’t get me wrong, he has looked good for a while, but we still need to see him under test pressure.

Nov 20, 2022, 19:55

@Mozart: Good Bok 10s hit their straps early. I really cannot think of an exception to that, certainly not in my lifetime. Perhaps some of the older posters can enlighten me in that regard. From the 90s onwards, good Bok 10s adapt almost instantaneously. Libbok seems to have good instincts, unlike Goosen in his early years, whose primary trick was the vertical run with a runner running an unders line cutting inside him, well ahead of the gainline. However, he is very slight of frame, and if all of our successful 10s have anything in common, it's an ability to not only absorb physical pressure, but to exert it as well. We don't really want to be in a situation where we have to adopt unorthodox defensive duties to conceal a fragile defender, like Australia used to do with Cooper; or New Zealand and Spencer. If it does indeed result in Libbok being fragile (coloreds are usually much tougher than black South Africans at a very low weight bracket), then we need to either invest in him, and rebuild the entire Bok model to exploit his best attributes, or look elsewhere and find a solid physical presence who won't make too many mistakes. 

Nov 21, 2022, 00:54

Tend to agree, we leave our 10s to take care of their own defence, which is why Jantjies never seemed like a serious candidate. Small isn’t necessarily an issue…Arendse chops them down at the knees, just as Aplon used to do. But small in 10 channel can be a problem because stopping the offload is crucial against the ABs for example.

Nov 21, 2022, 01:30

To Libbok’s credit he does not seem to mind big forwards running at him.

He is small but stands up well defensively

You need to Log in to reply.