Is Major League Rugby about to take off in the states?

Forum » Rugby » Is Major League Rugby about to take off in the states?

Apr 23, 2021, 11:01

So I don't know if any of you okes having been following the MLR, but i keep getting more and more of this league pop up in my feed. Some forgotten SA players seem to be leading the charge.

On closer inspection, it looks like they are putting a decent league together with about 2 teams joining every year. 

They also have a decent operating model and teams need to pony up some doh to prove that they can be financial viable. 

No cash injection but mainly sponsor driven. 

12 teams with roughly 

6000 stadium attendance

500 000 tv viewership 

The quality of rugby is not too bad either. 

There are some legends and of course some has beens playing too. But Beast had a go. Matt Gutau at age 37 is having a crack and Joe Pieters, the Percy Montgomery clone is doing really well. 

I would almost get a few of your youngsters over their and loan them out so that they can get some game time, but also build a decent relationship.

So I wonder if the US will be the next big emerging team

Apr 23, 2021, 11:59

I wouldn't hold my breath. You need to market it the right way. Learning from the NFL and its traditions would be useful. Having foreigners might not be a good thing either. Americans don't know who these people are, and I've heard complaints from Canadians that the CFL contains too many Americans. These people want something their own, if they have an appetite for it. There was a rival league started to compete against the NFL called the AAF, it gained good reviews, but hasn't made a dent. Currently Americans are fatigued by politics and wokism in sport, a can be seen by the NBA losing its edge, and even the NFL has taken a major hit in viewership. I'd angle to take advantage of that. If the spectacle can offer athleticism, skill and tactics in a fun and accessible package, you have the best possible chance of succeeding.

If we look at where the game is growing, the USA is not one of those hotspots.

You need to Log in to reply.