How good are player in the Rainbow cup really?

Forum » Rugby » How good are player in the Rainbow cup really?

Jun 07, 2021, 17:32

So we have a lot of rugby lost due to some leaky lab accident that led to the whole world shutting down. 

But I can't help but think how good our local based players really are. 

Given that we have so many player abroad, do we have any quality left.  

It has made a turn still tackler like Morne Steyn get recalled to the boks at 36. 

I just  can't help but feel that  these guys are not up to it. 

I just remember watching the currie cup thinking that our teams will do really well against NZ  and Aus but only for us to get destroyed the next season by these teams. 

Just wondering if we are not on the same path again. 

The rugby in the Rainbow cup. Currie and what ever it is called has been really boring to say the least

Jun 07, 2021, 18:45

Morné was always an excellent defender. So that premise is flawed. 

Jun 07, 2021, 20:27

The Rainbow Cup matches I watched were quite good for early season games. All 4 our teams are very eavenly matched, so there wasn't any soft matches...it's obviously not Super Rugby,  but we'll just have to make do with what we have...

Jun 07, 2021, 21:38

Morne has played well under Jake White. Purely on form, he deserves to be in the team. 
He seems to be better now than he was in the past.

He was never a runner, but he can get the backline running. His option-taking is his strength, like when to kick or pass. He also seems to be playing flatter than he used to, making him take attacking options more often. 

I would take Morne over Michael Willemse Jackson in flash

Jun 07, 2021, 23:22

Morné was always smart about alignment. How flat you play ia context dependent. The flatter, the closer the centres play to the gainline. That means crashball or very accurate short passes and offloads and clever angles of running. Pause any video before any 10 gets rid of the ball and assess their options. Morné is always a good decision maker. 

Jun 07, 2021, 23:34

Morne Steyn's biggest weakness is that he sometimes lies too deep when his forwards are losing. 
Sure, where he stands should vary based on the situation - but he has been guilty of sitting behind his centres too often.

Now he is taking it flatter more often, and allowing his centres and loose forwards to run angles to keep the defence guessing. 

Jun 08, 2021, 10:38

Well, I'm not saying morne has been playing badly at all. He has been at the heartbeat for the bulls.

Players like Jantjies and Bosch have not really been able to match him. Neither has flash dance willemse been able to come close to him.

I'm just asking if the players are as good as the players in Aus or NZ.

I just wonder if we had to pit our teams against any of the kiwi teams  if they would blow us away like the did with the Ausie teams. 

Jun 08, 2021, 11:40

Some cultures when left on their own they will thrive. They'll innovate and improve. Others are more passive, and let standards slip as they stagnate. South Africa is the latter. That's why it was important to have exposure against foreign opposition at test level. I can already see that complacency has set it long, long, ago. 

Jun 08, 2021, 11:47

I have detailed data on the phase set up for every Bok test, and the distribution chain. Morné has never been guilty of sitting behind his centres. How flat do you want to play? Taking into consideration that the modern game requires screens and layers as the increased gap between attack and defence means defence has a lot of time to assess what's in front of it. A very common configuration is 9 with a three man pod outside him with 10 outside that pod, sitting a bit deeper, or 10 behind that pod. He either connects two units or sits in a unit himself. That's basically the default configuration. 10 will usually be paired with 12 amongst the backs, and 13 with a wing and loose forward. Willie is most often the glue between the two, but often works in the second grouping as well. The notion that Morné sits too deep is a myth, and it's quite funny as his supposed competitors, like Lambie and Goosen, not only sat much deeper, but were even guilty of crabbing. 

You need to Log in to reply.