Eddie Jones’ dream team

Forum » Rugby » Eddie Jones’ dream team

May 22, 2021, 05:49

I guess this must be a team of players he has coached.....he certainly got the Boks spot on!

Eddie Jones’ dream Test XV – 15 Anthony Watson, 14 Bryan Habana, 13 Stirling Mortlock, 12 Manu Tuilagi, 11 Lote Tuqiri, 10 Owen Farrell, 9 George Gregan, 8 Billy Vunipola, 7 Schalk Burger, 6 George Smith, 5 Victor Matfield, 4 Maro Itoje, 3 Mako Vunipola, 2 John Smit, 1 Kyle Sinckler.

May 22, 2021, 06:20

Another load of baloney,    These are all players Jones was involved with in his coaching career and it does not reflect anything other than that.      

May 22, 2021, 08:32

I wouldn't select all of those players, but this is a solid team. The Boks were quite logical selections. 

May 22, 2021, 17:04

Agreed Augie, surprised he chose Watson at 15. Mortlock was a dominant player.....hell of a set of outside backs.

May 22, 2021, 22:27

Mortlock for me is the best 13 of all time. He was ruthless against every opponent he played against. There were times I was left fuming as he turned games around against us. The Butch tackle whalloping him was especially enjoyable, but I respected the bloke. George Smith and Schalk? Pretty nightmarish combo. Great leadership in that team. I think that's something Lügnerin misses: this is a very composed group of players with serious BMT. 

May 23, 2021, 00:17

I mossed nothing  and look  at  performances objectively both  of teams and individual players,   By the way the real deal at outside center was O'Driscoll.   Jones may have picekd players he coached - bit that really meant nothing at all.       

May 23, 2021, 01:14

BOD was elite, but not always great against the SH trio when they really were The Big Three. Mortlock was elite against everyone and a player who bit New Zealand hard time and again. Who could forget his famous 80m try to knock NZ out of the 2003 WC? Once again I must educate you Lügnerin. Mortlock is the sixth all time points scorer in Super rugby history (the only non-fly half in the top 10). He is the fastest Wallaby to 50 and 100 test points and holds the record of the first Wallaby player to score 20 or more points in four consecutive tests (the 2000 season). 

May 23, 2021, 01:54

You educating  anybody is like an idiot trying to fight facts, with fiction.      

May 23, 2021, 11:22

Mortlock had a sterling career,  but my Oupa said BOD was the best he'd seen after Gerber. :D

May 23, 2021, 12:06

Would Gerber make it in an era with structured defence? Those tribute videos look wonderful, running through acres of space, but that wouldn't cut it in the modern game, especially before the ELVs. We need to be realistic. 

May 23, 2021, 13:36

The situation is weird and often misunderstood    The law changes aimed at making rugby more attractive was played already from about 2000 by Australia following  thereafter by New Zealand,after the 2003 WC.   Before 2008  defense was not organized in the way it is now.

When Mortlock played the situation was basically the same as was the case with Gerber.    There were acres of space as well.   The problem was that by 2007 Australia was poor and the French had a fluke win against the AB's  due to a faulty referee decision on a forward pass preceding the scoring of the French try.    If the AB's went through to the final they would have walloped the Springboks like they did in the 2007 RC.

Be it as it may  - the 2008 law changes were first implemented in New Zealand and by 2011 they were the best team in the world by a distance,   They keep improving while the rest of he world were lagging behind.   Argentina by 2015 was playing in the same way as NZ was, but SA was not there yet, neither was the NH teams.   There were no NH teams in the semi-finals - SA was there after losing in Japan  - and was not even thinking of  revising their ames according to the 2008 laws.  

It was only in 2019 that SA started playing the game according to the  2008 law changes,   They sharpened both their attacks and improved defense to a very high level,       

May 23, 2021, 14:55

Blasphemy!!!!

May 23, 2021, 15:05

It's as though you are from another planet Lügnerin, Rugby changed in the late 90s, quite dramatically. It was where South African rugby fell behind the rest of the world, and Australia were leading the way. As always, advancements came from rugby league, more specifically, John Muggleton. He was the first full time defence coach in rugby union; a masterstroke by Rod MacQueen. His advancements ramped up defence. Mortlock made his debut in 1997 against Argentina, but was a lethal weapon throughout the next decade. The ELVs from 2008 did regress the sport, and from the past decade defence stats have been declining markedly, and dropped off a cliff from 2015 onwards. 

As per the Boks not adhering to the law changes until 2019? That is one of the most ignorant, immature and puerile comments I have seen from you. Nothing more than another Rassie hump-fest. Rassie stunted the Bok attack, which now ranks 15th in the world at best! We have tier two nations with far more sophisticated and better implemented attacking structures than us! Maybe the chicken run will worsen that. As per defence? The Bok defence is average. Territory mitigates the vulnerabilities that exist, weak points that existed under Coetzee. A difference in approach masks that weakness, but as we saw against New Zealand in the pool stage, only to a certain extent at the highest level. The Boks of Josè's reign were a clunky basher team with very slow developing attacking sequences that were far too deep, to heavily scripted and left our outside backs with little space and left our midfield very often swamped by defenders who caught us well behind the gainline. The pinnacle of the Bok attack post-Snor was under Meyer, with fast developing attacks with a more fluid, intuitive and proactive use of these modern attacking structures from rugby league. Rassie has some catching up to do. 

Everything you stated is incorrect. 

May 23, 2021, 20:36

Everything you said is totally removed from reality.  

You need to Log in to reply.