Duhan vd Merwe Best Player in Pro 14

Forum » Rugby » Duhan vd Merwe Best Player in Pro 14

Sep 11, 2020, 09:56

So I know that we don't pay much attention to the pro 14, but they have produced some of the finest players in recent year. Sexton and Murray come to mind, but also had a run on the European Championship. 

That said, is Duhan to blond and white to be selected for the Boks. 

For the first time we have genuine big, fast, skilled wing that can compete with the best int the world. I don't think Mpimpi has many year left in him. I like Nkosi, but with the other bloke that took steroids and the shear lack of quality wings we had. 

What they hell is stopping Rassie from selecting him!!!!

Sep 11, 2020, 15:46

I do not think anything at all.   The SA coaching staff has Felix Jones in Dublin to report back on performances  and Janes cover all the the three major leagues where SA players are involved and they may select Van der Merwe to replace Steyn based purely on form.    

Sep 11, 2020, 16:58

Too late Townsend has already said that as soon as test match rugby starts again, vd Merwe will be selected for Scotland

While I am a big Rassie fan he has missed the boat on a few very good overseas players that he should have capped

Paul Willemse Jean Kleyn Jacques du Plessis Duhan vd Merwe Pierre Schoeman Ollie Kebble Ruan Ackerman

Sep 11, 2020, 19:09

Saffex, I don't Rassie had a choice with Willemse, probably before his time. That said, these guys were rally unlucky, but our loosie stocks are looking good at the moment. 

We just seem to be missing a lot of experience locks currently out with injury

Sep 11, 2020, 22:16

Rassie was around long enough to know about Paul Willemse, could have capped him before France did and should be doing just that with others on that list

Sep 11, 2020, 23:56

He should have been picked last year.....Rassie never even considered him because of the political equation. Mapimpi was totally bamboozled in the AB pool game and luckily was never tested defensively again by our poor opposition.

Sep 14, 2020, 05:34

KC

Willemse played for France years before Erasmus became the Springbok Director of Rugby -  Meyer would not pick Willemse as lock - he preferred Matfield - but at lock the candidacy was always crowded,  

Neither Schoeman nor Van der Merwe qualify for  UK citizenship yet.   My own guess is that both Schoeman and Van der Merwe is on Erasmus's short list because they have to replace  Beast and Le Roux.  

Sep 14, 2020, 22:20

Mike you are speaking kak, Willemse made his debut this year for France, Rassie was coach a year before Willemse got the French call

Duhan v d Merwe has qualified for Scotland and Townsend is on record saying he will be picked for Scotland as soon as they start playing test rugby again.

Either Jones based in the UK is utterly shit at his job or Rassie is completely missing the boat on the NH based players

Mike stick to the facts bud stop making shit up. Pierre Schoeman might have qualified for Scotland as well, if not its damn soon that he does

Sep 15, 2020, 09:02

Saffex

Sorry - I apologize - I was wrong,    I thought Willemse started international rugby for France in 2018.   

The fact is that Rassie has limitations and cannot pick players for one-off purposes.  In the case of the locks there area number of locks on par or better than Willemse.   As to Van der Merwe  he left Montpellier in March  April 2017 and as far s I know only qualify for US citizenship later in 2021 or in 2022.         

Sep 15, 2020, 10:26

I'm a big fan Duhan, he has all the skills. Unfortunately, the politicians will have a field day. He is, tall, blond and white not to mention he has a great physique. 

I would love for us to have genuine big, fast wing with great skills. The amount of Try assist he can offer. 

I would love to see maybe a back  3 of 

Duhan, Kolbe and Nkosi. 

Then, Fassi ha showed a lot of promise. Great player off the bench. 

I can almost see someone like Duhan drawing in players with Kolbe running off his shoulder exploiting the gaps he creates

Sep 15, 2020, 11:56

Wrong Mike, Rassie has no limitations on who he can select and he should have selected Willemse regardless of how good our lock stocks are, for Willemse is as good as the locks we have and deserved selection purely on a merit front.

To think right now Etzebeth, Lood and RG Snyman are injured. Willemse would have provided one solution to this problem.

Duhan vd Merwe has nothing to do with USA. What part of Townsend, the Scottish coach saying he will select Duhan as soon as Scotland play their next test do you not get?

Fact is Rassie should have capped the likes of Willemse, Pierre Schoeman, Ollie Kebble, Duhan vd Merwe, Jacques du Plessis and Ruan Ackerman before they became eligible for other countries.

Given the circumstances with so many SA players leaving - gone are the days of staying local to home based players. If you want to be the best you have to select the best regardless of where they are playing.

I’m not advocating capping every foreign based player but make sure you do cap those that merit selection and who would add value to your broader squad.

My list plus a few others would do just that

Sep 19, 2020, 10:32

When does Van der Merwe qualify for OK citizenship?   How long is the present residential requirement?    He cannot play for Scotland before he is a UK Citizen and as from net year in terms of the World Rugby rules the selection can only happen from 2021 after five years playing for Clubs.   

Whatever Townsend says there are still rules to follow.    Rassie could have selected the players listed above - but who would have been left out to make way for them?      

You need to Log in to reply.