Du Toit turned down offer from Harlequins

Forum » Rugby » Du Toit turned down offer from Harlequins

Mar 05, 2020, 09:37

The following from News 24:-

"Stormers and Springbok star Pieter-Steph du Toit has reportedly turned down an offer from English club Harlequins.

Register your interest for the British & Irish Lions tickets in South Africa 2021

According to the UK-based The Rugby Paper, Harlequins were interested in signing the 2019 World Rugby Player of the Year as a replacement for former England captain Chris Robshaw.

The report added that Harlequins coach Paul Gustard had flown to South Africa to persuade Du Toit to sign with the club, but his efforts proved in vain, with the flanker determined to see out his contract with the Stormers.

Du Toit signed a two-year contract extension with the Stormers at the end of last year.

The 27-year-old started the 2020 Super Rugby season like a house on fire, but was injured in his side's loss to the Blues over the weekend.

Du Toit underwent two procedures over the last few days to drain blood caused by a hematoma in his upper leg."

The versatile forward, who can also play lock, is likely be sidelined until May.

Harlequins recently signed Springboks Wilco Louw and Andre Esterhuizen for the next European season.

Du Toit last year had 4 offers form NH clubs and turned them all down - so I am not surprised by the latest development.   The Du Toit family are very wealthy farmers  and P-S is very interested in the family farming and other business activities.  That was  one of the main reasons why he moved from the Sharks to the Stormers years ago,

Mar 05, 2020, 09:59

Not just the world's best rugby player, also one of those rare breed of players who honours a contract and puts loyalty to club and country ahead of a big payday.

Sad to think there are some Stompies supporters who don't appreciate this great player or his character and integrity and instead spend their sad and pathetic lives slagging him off on a forum like this.

Mar 05, 2020, 11:17

I recall poor Redrooi saying Luke Watson was better than Schalk Burger. Schalk was then named IRB Player of the year. 

Redrooi mampara like you can't point fingers. Hahahahahaha. 

Imagine Luke Watson being thought to be better than the great Schalk Burger. Amazing stuff from the bone headed Redrooi! 

Mar 11, 2020, 16:48

That was an irresponsible and bad decision if ever there was one.

He will live to regret that move when his family's farm is seized and they have no home.

Whoever had a hand in advising him on the offer must be related to Rooinek.

Stupid is as Stupid does.

Mar 11, 2020, 17:27

I'm sure they've got enough good investments abroad too...en dis nie net vir vat nie...this is not Zimbabwe.

Mar 11, 2020, 18:43

AJH

I believe it is not going to happen - the latest news is that Zimbabwe has gazetted that the farmers who lost their farms because of  Mugabe can now return to their farms and get their ownership back.

As long as the West was feeding the starving Zimbabweans it was OK.   There was about just under 2,000,000 of those.   The figure this year has gone up to  5,000.000 and the situation is that the food supply through donation is getting scarce.

They now are desperate to get the White farmers back to up the local production to meet the needs of the residents,    It is not only the farming production - they want the agric based factories that closed down also back in operation. 

The lot in SA has learned a bitter lesson from it and  apart from a few reactionaries the majority of people have seen what happened to food supply if the farms are not properly farmed.             

Mar 11, 2020, 19:34

Well that’s very nice.....I hope it works out for him.

Mar 12, 2020, 17:07

CM if you were a 27-year-old rugby player and had his rugby skills what would you have done and why?

Mar 12, 2020, 18:47

CleverMike, you are assuming the ANC and other African leaders are thinking logically when looking at the situation in Zimbabwe. They are not... All they want is money here and now, what happens in the future is irrelevant.

Mar 12, 2020, 19:22

Not easy for the local leadership.    They will have to get past the Constitutional Court and that would be virtually impossible.   

Mar 12, 2020, 19:49

I will do exactly what du Toit did if I was in his position, ,   He is not dependent on rugby income and is more interested in his family and the family business,   He earns plenty in SA and is one of the  highest paid players earning roundabout R6 million anyway.   He is married to a lady with the same background as he - money goes to money - and I do not think with the kid they would go to England.        

Mar 12, 2020, 20:50

Thanks CM but even if he had a Billion R is his safety and that of his family worth the risk of what might face them in the future?

Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

Mar 13, 2020, 06:04

Arthur, we are still safe enough over here, but sadly, it's constantly deteriorating. His farmland is in his blood. It would be near impossible to leave from his own free will.

Mar 13, 2020, 16:23

Thank you for the reassurance Db.

I honestly pray and trust that it holds for all the folks who love the country hoping that the situation will turn around in RSA.

There is always hope if you believe.

Remember Ian Smith (Rhodesia) had the same hopes for his country but eventually had to resettle in the Cape when his "belief" never materialized.

When will we ever learn?

Mar 14, 2020, 07:52

The risk is once the farms are reestablished they get taken again. 

A man must try and secure his future so playing overseas sadly is a must for the vast majority of players

Living in SA means you must try also to have overseas assets. 

Mar 14, 2020, 17:18

Well stated Beeno1.

The old story.......never ever put all your eggs in a single basket.

A question do overseas insurance companies still operate in RSA  like  - Sun Life of Canada, London Life, Old Mutual (Channel Isles) or have they all given up the ghost?

If they are still active perhaps they would be worth a visit for some folks to investigate.

I know in the past it worked for numerous folks.

You need to Log in to reply.