Dreyer to dump Swys and join Ackermann up north ...

Forum » Rugby » Dreyer to dump Swys and join Ackermann up north ...

May 30, 2018, 14:37

Johannesburg - Gloucester have announced the signing of South African tighthead prop Ruan Dreyer, who will join them from the Lions next season.

Dreyer is the second Lions player in a matter of hours to join the franchise's former coach Johan Ackermann at the English club after it was earlier announced that Franco Mostert was also leaving for Gloucester.

Dreyer has spent his club career to date as part of the Lions organisation, playing for the Golden Lions in the Currie Cup and the Lions in Super Rugby. For the latter, he was a key part of Johan Ackermann’s squad who reached back to back Super Rugby finals.

A former member of the South Africa U20 side who competed at the 2010 Junior World Championship, he toured Europe with the Springboks in 2014 and won his first Springbok cap against France last summer. He has now won four caps.

As befits the modern prop, he is as comfortable with ball in hand as he is at the set-piece and will play a key role in Gloucester’s 2018/19 season according to director of rugby David Humphreys.

"We know that successful Premiership teams are built upon a dominant pack and a strong platform up front, and Ruan’s signing, along with the other additions we’ve made to the squad, will help us to achieve that," he said.

"He’s a player who Johan knows very well from their time together with the Lions, and with Ruan’s Super Rugby and International experience, we’re very excited to see the impact that Ruan can make at Gloucester Rugby."

Dreyer himself is excited to pull on the Cherry and White jersey and develop his game at Kingsholm.

"I’m very excited to come over and play for Gloucester Rugby, it is a new challenge and a different environment, it also allows for much more time spent with my Wife, Zonica and baby Boy, Anru, and that’s very important for us," he said.

"I’m looking forward to build myself and test my skills, especially in the tight phases, as it is usually more physical rugby being played in the UK, I’m looking forward to be part of the new squad, especially building a team culture on and off the field."

Dreyer arrives at Kingsholm after spending his career in South Africa, and Super Rugby, but he explained his aims to add different elements to his game, and be reunited with Gloucester head coach Ackermann.

"Personally I’ve not really played lots of rugby in the UK, but the weather is different and that has a big influence on the type of game being played, I’m looking forward to adapting when the cold and wet weather arrives," he added.

"I’m very excited to play under coach Johan again, he is a really good coach, and his people skills are probably among the best of the coaches out there, he’s a people person and he will always put the team and its players first.

"He will always be honest with you, and you will always know where you stand, that makes it such a pleasure playing under him.

"Gloucester is a small city with lots of loyal rugby supporters that stands behind their team. Obviously it will be nice playing alongside Ruan (Ackermann) and Jaco (Kriel) again, and I’m looking forward to meet the new team mates and all the new characters in the squad.

May 30, 2018, 14:51

What is it with Swys and his inability to hang onto key players like this? Easily one of the top three tighthead props in the country, now lost to the Lions.

Are they making way for more quotas?

Both he and Jaco Kriel have no future in this country. Mostert is supposedly also leaving the sinking Lions ship for Ackermann.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Malcolm Marx follow shortly. 

I'm sure the experience up north will be good for them.

It's almost as if Johan Ackermann is deliberately sabotaging Swys and the Lions team.

I'd be pissed if I were Swys.

May 30, 2018, 15:21

Hackerman is raiding the larder....a bit naughty.

May 30, 2018, 15:54

Iv'e heard mutterings about Marx's arrival in the not to distant future as well as RJVR. Could all be bollocks though.

May 31, 2018, 10:56

Dreyer is not  test level prop and I think he realizes that the money will be bigger in England.   The right way to go in his case.  

May 31, 2018, 11:03

There is only one tighthead prop in the country that's better than he is ... and that's Wilco Louw.

May 31, 2018, 12:16

Dryer is useless. His performance against the All Blacks last year in Durban, caused the Boks to lose the test.

In fact, his performances have been poor since day one. The worst international scrummager to hit the scene in a long time. 

I wish him well in the UK where he can adapt to getting scrummed into the mud. 

May 31, 2018, 13:19

SB exactly - his lack of scrumming ability was highlighted again last week against the Stormers when both Van Rensbiuirg of all players and Kitshoff showed him up as useless even on Super Rugby level.   .  

May 31, 2018, 14:09

He's cleaned Kitshoff up. In fact, he humiliated him.

Please tell me which other SA tighthead prop has done that this season?

May 31, 2018, 14:26

Absolutely he cleaned up Kitshoff who was subbed earlier than usual. Van Rensburg as he has done all season, exerted much more pressure.

Tokkie couldn't see a bridge if it was falling on him.

May 31, 2018, 14:45

Kitshoff has been poor all season as well, which is a surprise as he was excellent last season

May 31, 2018, 14:57

In the last match the exact opposite happen to what Mozart and CC said now.   Mozart is not blind he is plain stupid.   Sometimes he looks at stats wen it suits his argument but his interpretation is total BS.

My challenge to that moron is - go and check the match stats last week and  come and explain the Dreyer story clearly. 

Sucking up to CC won't help in this case either.   And Dreyer was exceptionally poor against both Van Rensburg and Kitshoff last week in the Stormes - Lions clash, CC - whether you like it or not.  Your memory about last year on test level of Dreyer was quickly forgotten by you - not so.   At least SB's memory did not fail him.   It was not funny how Dreyer got manhandled by the AB props in that test.     

May 31, 2018, 14:57

In the last match the exact opposite happen to what Mozart and CC said now.   Mozart is not blind he is plain stupid.   Sometimes he looks at stats wen it suits his argument but his interpretation is total BS.

My challenge to that moron is - go and check the match stats last week and  come and explain the Dreyer story clearly. 

Sucking up to CC won't help in this case either.   And Dreyer was exceptionally poor against both Van Rensburg and Kitshoff last week in the Stormes - Lions clash, CC - whether you like it or not.  Your memory about last year on test level of Dreyer was quickly forgotten by you - not so.   At least SB's memory did not fail him.   It was not funny - in fact a disgrace  - how Dreyer got manhandled by the AB props in that test.     

May 31, 2018, 15:02

I'm not arguing Dreyer is a test prop....I'm simply saying he got the better of Kitshoff for the second time this season. And that's a fact.

May 31, 2018, 15:46

Bloody liar as well.

May 31, 2018, 15:58

Ag ou Tokkie you bent pin, treat yourself, go and watch a seuntjie match.

May 31, 2018, 18:53

Listen twit be truthful for a change.   You can even use the stats that you were talking BS  in the case.  Otherwise remove the blinkers of prejudice and go and watch the game again,   You may notice that the Lions scrumming was a shambles last Saturday even when the Stormrs had 13 players on the field.

Jun 01, 2018, 08:57

Yes ... in all honesty ... Dreyer is a little too small to be an effective test tighthead.

It does however make one wonder why we've decided upon Kitshoff as our premier loosehead. I mean, he was cleaned up by a woes ... and now we're employing him as our numero uno loosehead prop.

Just doesn't make sense.  

Jun 01, 2018, 17:38

Dryer getting scrummed into the mud. I doubt he is big/strong enough for slower pitches that require more scrums. He was bullied all season long last year for the Boks. 

Image result for prop in mud rugby

Jul 09, 2020, 22:03

It seems that Dreyer will be returning to the Lions

Jul 10, 2020, 00:00

He is useless

Jul 10, 2020, 00:20

no he isnt.

Jul 10, 2020, 08:22

I hate Covid.

Jul 10, 2020, 21:18

Ok he is not useless he is fucking useless

You need to Log in to reply.