Derick Hougaard moered by Brian Lima

Forum » Rugby » Derick Hougaard moered by Brian Lima

Jun 12, 2020, 19:36

Jun 17, 2020, 09:01

This is still one of my favorite rugby moments. Just pure brutality and probably resonated with Hougie for the rest of his career.

Jun 17, 2020, 10:35

Guess who never bought Joost a dop that night .

Jun 17, 2020, 11:43

Joost had actually acknowledged that he was directly to blame for that tackle on Hougaard. He was the one who threw the hospital pass. I watched the Afrikaans programme SuperRugby on Kyknet where he said it and where he, once again, apologised to Hougaard for it. 

Jun 18, 2020, 02:11

Joost was well past his best at that stage. One of SA's best rugby players ever, but injuries and age affected his passing at the tail end of his career.
He threw some bad passes at that tournament, however, maybe Hougaard was in the wrong place and could not read the game. 

No way Hougaard should have been the starting flyhalf. Hougie was hailed as the new Naas, but he was an inferior clone in the modern era of bigger players.

I remember Joost playing with Naas Botha at 35 and he called him Oom. Joost laughed when he recalling playing with Naas. He said while Naas was fantastic, he was a bit past his prime by the time Joost started playing.

Jun 18, 2020, 09:46

Hougaard read the movement pretty well. The break from Joost, then Hougaard coming in from deep with a nicely timed run. The pass caused him to slow down and turn, it threw him off completely. At 0:05, the Samoans are bunched up (three men) in the middle of the field, there's a large gap. A hard run was a good option. Joost just blew it with a poor pass. Joost was never the most technically sound 9, but I merely ascribe this to forcing the pass rather than being unable to pass. His body position wasn't good: stood up, straight back and little movement in high arms which increased height on the pass. He should have just gone down and we recycled. 

Jun 18, 2020, 10:18

And while everyone was mesmerised by the bone breaking tackle, young Derrick eventually got back up and played on. One can’t help but wonder how many months Pat Lambie or Johan Goosen would have spent in rehab. 

Jun 18, 2020, 11:40

Lambie and Goosen were easily silenced by contact. The former played very far in front of the defence aside from scripted plays. Goosen was used as a passer with a fair amount of space in front of the defence. It worked for the Cheetahs because of the slack defences at Super level, and the superb running around 10 to create space. Hougaard did indeed take this like a man. 

You need to Log in to reply.