Clive Woodward on Mostert

Forum » Rugby » Clive Woodward on Mostert

Nov 20, 2021, 05:27

England coach Eddie Jones will have to find a way to defuse the inevitable bombing

Franco Mostert is also one of the best locks in the world and their back row will not lose anything with the introduction of Jasper Wiese. So the theory is fine, but getting it to work is the tricky part, because you’re dealing with big egos and perceived norms.

Nov 20, 2021, 08:03

Mostert went to Gloucester to play in England and was not a roaring success at the club.   He left for Japan  after his sponsor Ackerman lost his Gloucester job.   He may be regarded as a top lock by Woodward  - but there are better locks and loosies in SA and Mostert is not even a squad contender when all players are available.   In this regard reference is made especially to Snyman and other locks  as well as  the World Rugby Player of the Year in 2019 - Pieter-Stef du Toit.

You obviously are  totally out of touch with reality  in this case.      

Nov 20, 2021, 10:35

The only locks I'd play ahead of Mostert ars RG and, possibly Van Rensburg. Limp is a no, and Josè himself gave up on Steph at 5. He did what he did with his other pal Kolisi, lumped him in another position so he could be on the field. 

Nov 20, 2021, 16:34

Tokkie or Woodward…….uhm…..I’ll go with Woodward.

Nov 20, 2021, 17:35

Mostert has played his heart out each and every time he pulls the Springbok jersey over his shoulders.

He has given it his all.

Which player would look good as a lock supporting the "Belly Flopper" at prop.

Agree with mozart and Woodward.

Mostert has not received the credit he has earned and deserves.

Pity.

Nov 21, 2021, 02:09

Clive Woodward is painfully poor when it comes to takes on rugby - any takes

Cant stand the bloke

Nov 21, 2021, 07:55

Mozart

Nice try - when player and experts say otherwise you believe your own dumb repetitive BS and  not them .   So the fact is you now twist the issue again.   

Nov 21, 2021, 17:38

Dave sometimes we have to accept the truth irrespective of the source.

Nov 21, 2021, 17:47

Mostert is our 4th best lock. behind Eben, RG and Lood...AND there are probably more than a few young guns better than him too. Great player, but not close to our best...lucky to be there.

Nov 21, 2021, 17:53

Agree.

But he did not select himself to be a Springbok.

Someone must have seen some potential in his playing skills.

He cannot be expected to play each and every game to our expectations.

Give him credit for producing the best he could and leave it at that I say.

Nov 21, 2021, 18:05

There’s certainly a trend with some Bok fans where anything out of the ordinary is by default not good enough.

You simply MUST look the part.

Performance is nothing. Results are worth even less.

The best rugby minds in the world are entirely clueless if they support a player that isn’t the exact height and weight that we expect for a position.

It’s not a case of persuading Bok fans about individual players but more about the impossible task of shifting an entire mindset from rigid stubbornness to one that allows performance to matter.

Nov 21, 2021, 18:13

Great player and servant of the Bokke,  just not the best...and there's no shame in that, to the contrary actually...

Nov 21, 2021, 18:34

Ja, ja, ja…..but game after game Mostert makes more tackles than Lomp, makes more lineout steals and our lineout is better when Mostert is on…like yesterday.

Mostert is involved in a far wider defensive umbrella than Lomp who is  first channel and nothing more. When have you ever seen Lomp make an open field tackle?

His superiority over Mostert is based on an indefinable  attribute called physicality. We can’t measure that in Lomp’s metres per carry….yesterday  he ran 6 times to gain 1 metre with no defenders beaten. 

Nor can we find it in the scrums where our scrums get better later in the game…when Mostert is on. I’m not arguing Mostert improves our scrums, but arguing the reverse is facile.

Still Lomp’s physicality is out there somewhere, we all know it right….just believe.

Nov 21, 2021, 18:45

Ja, ja, ja....:D

Nov 21, 2021, 19:54

Bastard!

Nov 21, 2021, 19:57

:angel:

Nov 22, 2021, 15:46

Mozart 

In game after game Mostert makes more tackles than De Jager - so another blatant lie of Mozart exposed.

So lets look at the real situation  De Jager was on the field of play for 142 minutes  and  and  Mostert had 98 minutes game time.    

So how many tackles did  the two players made in the series:-

England Test            De Jager   -      9 made   -   1  missed

Mostert    -      0 made   -   1  missed           

Scotland Test            De Jager   -      5 made   -   0  missed

Mostert    -      5 made   -   1  missed           

Wales Test                De Jager   -     12 made   -   1  missed

Mostert    -      3 made   -   0  missed   

Now lets work it out at average time in minutes  taken to make a tackle;-

De Jager    - a tackle every 5,46 minutes on average

Mostert      a tackle  every  12,25  minutes on average.

Sorry to disappoint - but this has been the case all along when it came to defense by Mostert - he is incapable to make  open-field tackles hence his disastrous tackle counts in matches. 

Nov 22, 2021, 23:53

Mostert is a physical liability. Thin with narrow shoulders, no bulk, no definition. Sad excuse for a test lock or blindside

He has plenty of heart and energy - I give him that.

I’d say there is a rugby teams worth of better lock options than him

All better

Etzebeth

RG Snyman

Lood

PSDT

Jason Jenkins

Ruben Schoeman

JD Schickerling

Moerat

Ruben v Heerden

JJ vd Mecht

David Meihuizen

Lourens Erasmus

Le Roux Roets

Walt Steenkamp

Koeklenberg

David Ribbans

Jacques du Plessis

Ruan Botha

Nico Janse v Rensburg

Eli Snyman

Nov 23, 2021, 01:37

But Harrassmiss is a genius and he doesn’t agree….case closed.

Nov 23, 2021, 02:07

Rassie is a rugby genius for sure but he is not perfect

At least he is awake to the fact he is not worthy of starting and had RG been fit, Mostert would be carrying the tackling bags

Mostert is not even good he is crap - purely because he is weak and has no bulk to add to the engine room

Takes his line out ball and makes some nice low open field tackles

Ask him to make an impression carrying in traffic or clearing out a player (18 year old fullback was too much for him) or putting in a big encompassing hit and you can forget it

A notch above Albert vd Bergh and Orie

Nov 23, 2021, 02:57

And our scrums are worse when Mostert is on the park…..and Lomp’s 8 runs for 1 metre shows real physicality….and Dud Toit wasn’t monstered by a wing.

Same old debunked arguments.

Nov 23, 2021, 07:36

`Mozart

What about your statement that Mostert  in test after test made more tackles than De Jager.    Still maintain that false scenario is correct?   

Your general statements about Erasmus,  De Jager, De Allende and Du Toit are  based on far-fetched prejudice and player pet hatred and not facts - so keep it up - you have been consistently stupid for years and what you  came up with remains to be ridiculous BS..       

Nov 23, 2021, 09:36

Remember when Faf wasn’t good enough either?

Remember when Kwagga wasn’t good enough?

Saffex, Mostert was one of the first names on the sheet at the Lions, in our most successful franchise side for over a decade. Yeah, they didn’t win a final but in every other game, they dominated Kiwi franchises to a degree that we’ve never seen before. And Mostert was the beating heart of that side.

We all agree that Swys is probably one of the best rugby minds in SA. And most here also think that Rassie is a big rugby brain.

So do I trust Rassie, Swys and my own eyes or Mike and Saffex?

Nov 23, 2021, 10:28

Plum

I respect your opinion  - but there are too factors to be born in mind.  Mostert should have been selected for the Springbok squad in the 2015 WC - when he was a prime performer in the Super Rugby series - but Meyer ignored him and stuck with the by then already proved failure Matfield.

However, the question is did  Mostert really live up to his provincial reputation of the time.   Erasmus used him consistently to start for the Springboks, but by 2019 there were already signs that he may have a problem in open field  tackling  - it was two missed tackles of him that led tpo opposition tries and a lack of the physicality required on test level.- which resulted in  him being used from the bench after the AB test loss in the WC.

Mostert will within a week be 31 years of age and is on a declining  performance trend.    His number of tackles made was way below  what he achieved in 2019  as evidenced above.   Although there were question marks  in  2019 already - there are real question marks at present.   After all  the prime performance ages of rugby players  are from 25 to 30 years of age  after which decline sets in.   Some last longer than others - but when declines sets in the ultimate result is inevitable.     

Nov 23, 2021, 13:25

Easy, Mike...

Mostert was on a high win percentage Lions side.

Now, look at the big games the Boks have won and tell us whether Mostert was or wasn't on the field. If he is the weak link that you guys are claiming he is, then he must be one hella lucky bastard.

Again, who do I trust...the guy with the high win ratio and who magically finds himself on the field when the Boks win big games...or Mike and Saffex?

Nov 23, 2021, 17:43

You are lying PSDT was not monstered by a wing - that’s a lie

As is our scrum improving with Mostert - that’s physically impossible

Nov 23, 2021, 17:50

He was and it does…case closed.

Nov 23, 2021, 18:57

You are lying PSDT was reaching up to pop a ball to Kolbe. vd Merwe took a cheap shot and got under him while he was fully extended and tipped him.

And shock shock the useless officiating missed that

Your take on him being monstered by a muscle bound 110kg wing is a complete lie

Nov 23, 2021, 21:38

I m still waiting for Mozart's comments on the tackle situation he claimed exists between Mostert and De Jager.   That shows no real reliance  can be placed on any of Mozart's wild statements.    

Nov 23, 2021, 22:13

He was on his feet otherwise it would have been a penalty….Van der Merwe picked him up off the ground and dumped him.

Nov 23, 2021, 22:25

You are waiting. Gosh and there I was trying to save your blushes. You should avoid the numbers Lomp played 186 minutes to Mostert’s 54. So he should make 186/54=3.444 as many tackles.

Mostert made 8 tackles. Multiply that by 3.444 and Lomp should have made 27.5 tackles. In fact according to your numbers he made 26 tackles. And of course the Boks were generally dominant when Mostert was on the park so you would expect less tackles to be made.

There now, wasn’t it better to wait. I was doing you this kindness and you forced me to humiliate you again.

Nov 24, 2021, 00:00

Stop lying Moz - the footage will show that PSDT was fully extended, arms above his head effecting an over the top pop pass to Kolbe.

It would have been easy to hit him and lift him like he did. Even a smaller player could have picked him up and tipped him. But Duhan is a brute of a wing

Nov 24, 2021, 02:06

No Mozart

Another lie.   Mostert started in the one test and played for 62 minutes  with  De Jager playing 18 minutes,     So how the hell could  the numbers you got be true?    Concocted BS again.  Try again dumbo and do better next time around.   

Nov 24, 2021, 02:42

Noted, I forgot he started in the Scottish test and assumed he was coming on at minute 62 vs going off. My mistake.

Nov 25, 2021, 11:24

Thanks Mozart

Sorry I was rude about the issue and accept it as a genuine mistake.   My point was that in the Scottish test  Mostert played for 62 minutes and made 5 tackles while missing 1.  In the 18 minutes  De Jager made 5 tackles and missed none.     

Nov 25, 2021, 15:52

You funny Mike

You need to Log in to reply.