Bulls sign up Nizaam Carr

Forum » Rugby » Bulls sign up Nizaam Carr

Jun 12, 2020, 16:25

The following from News24:-

"Former Springboks and Stormers back-rower Nizaam Carr is the latest player to join the new Jake White project at the Bulls, Sport24 has learnt.

The Bulls uploaded a teaser video onto their social media platforms, asking fans: "Who will be added to the Bulls 2020 WhatsApp group this afternoon?" 

Carr, who won five Springbok caps between 2014 and 2016, had been based at English club Wasps since 2018 but opted to come back to South Africa in the colours of Stormers rivals, the Bulls.  The loose-forward is the latest in a number of experienced and high-profile signings by World Cup-winning former Springbok coach Jake White - a list that includes Gio Aplon, Arno Botha, Travis Ismaiel and Marcel van der Merwe.

The team will also be joined by Duane Vermeulen, who confirmed his return to Loftus earlier this year.

The 29-year-old former Bishops pupil played close to 100 times for the Stormers and more than 50 times in Western Province colours. He is one of the most versatile players available to Bulls director of rugby, White, as he can play any possible in the back row."

I did not watch enough Wasp games on TV to see how Carr was when playing for Wasps.   Any news n that score will be appreciated.   

Jun 12, 2020, 18:00

Always rated this lad, has been great for Wasps I’m surprised Jake got him

Bulls are now overloaded with loose forwards which is a bit strange

Vermeulen, Arno Botha, Carr, v Staaden, Josh Strauss

Jun 12, 2020, 18:47

I also rate Carr.

Looks like the Bulls are going to be the Chelsea or the Manchester City of SA rugby. Can't develop any decent players so just splash the cash and buy everyone they can.

Jun 12, 2020, 19:21

Josh Strauss was useless this year, and Jake White will probably dispose of him as surplus to requirements. 

Carr started really well - and was consistent.  He did seem to lose weight for a season or two when he did that Muslim diet fast where he did not eat for 10 days

Jun 12, 2020, 23:17

Rooi the Bulls had plenty of their own - they all left

Jun 13, 2020, 08:41

Nemo leaving is a huge loss to Wasps and he will be missed as will Ashley Johnson who leaves on 198 caps just 2 short of the 200 club. Both total Gentleman and ambassadors of the game.

Both players as well as a few others were at the end of their contracts and with the salary cap been reduced by 1.5m from next season, it was always going to be difficult keeping a large squad.

Bulls may have scored a luck here and got Carr on the cheap. There's a lot of quality youth coming through who aren't going to command the same cash as some international players which will free up cap space.

*EDITED 

Jun 14, 2020, 10:47

The players the Bulls have lost currently and over the past few years

Gelant

Ismiel (returning)

Duhan v d Merwe

Specman

Jessie Kriel

Jan Serfontein

Kotze

JT Jackson

Pollard

Libbok

Schoeman

Hougaard

Piet v Zyl

Pierre Schoeman

Marcel vd Merwe (returning)

Mbonambi

Paul Willemse

Lood

Jason Jenkins

RG Snyman

Stassen

Eli Snyman

Ruben v Heerden

Jacques du Plessis

Roelof Smit

Jannes Kirsten

Liebenberg

Arno Botha (returning)

Jun 14, 2020, 16:01

Dave that list says it all. All the SA franchises have lost loads of quality players. It's a disaster.

Canceling my DSTV.  Our Super Rugby sides are a shadow of what they might otherwise be!!! 

As for Njzaan Carr he is a mediocre player. Not up to top flight rugby as lacks any real physicality and is also not that fast. 

Jaco Kriel maybe on the small size but he had plenty of fight in him and real pace for a loose forward. 

Anyhow let's see if he has grown as a player. 

Jun 14, 2020, 18:40

Disagree Been, Carr has always been a good player, he is in the Notshe mould, good ball player with good pace.

Should only have played openside not 8, he is not physical enough for 8

Perfect at 6 in the Hooper mould

Has been very good for Wasps

Jun 15, 2020, 13:37

He is not an 8. 6 is a very physical position in the sense of absorbing punishment. I would be surprised if Carr can do the dirty work a 6 must commit to.

See how he goes and wish him well. 

Jun 15, 2020, 18:41

Carr is more than physical enough for a 6

No less physical than the likes of Jaco Kriel, Kwagga, Hooper, Cane, Todd, Tupuric, Hamish Watson etc

Jun 16, 2020, 12:07

Hooper is a very physical and industrious player. We don't have a player quite like that right now. You underestimate Hooper and overestimate Carr. Hooper was elite. The Aussie Schalk. 

Jun 16, 2020, 13:47

Hooper is the best in the business, better all round player than Schalk who was bigger and stronger than Hooper and not ideally suited to openside at all, much like Frans Louw

Bullshit re Carr, great player who should have got more recognition

Jun 16, 2020, 14:19

Neither Schalk or Hooper are great on the ground. But Schalk became a very rounded and skilled player from 2007 onwards. 

Jun 16, 2020, 15:23

Schalk started out very good on the ground. He initially started as a 6. However, after his first neck injury, he was no longer as effective on the ground. He moved to 7, and became more of a dedicated ball carrier. 

After his meningitis he was no longer as physical - so he focussed more on skill and being a linking player at 8.

Hooper was a good fetcher, but his overall game has declined a bit over the last few years. 

Jun 16, 2020, 18:09

Schalk played his best rugby while at Sarries

Prior to this he used to always target contact and was very predictable but effective enough

At Sarries he started using his skill and started attacking space and looked to set others up around him

Jun 16, 2020, 19:29

Skulk was one of the weakest ball carriers to ever play test rugby. 

He went down like Ivanka's panties on Fathers Day at the slightest contact.

Good tackler though, and a great player to have when the oppostion had possession . . . just not much chop when your team had the ball.

Jun 17, 2020, 00:14

Schalk displayed more linking play after his time with Eddie Jones. That's Jones' legacy to SA rugby. From 2007 he was a more versatile player. He was always physical, and Jake's Boks never did really on a fetcher. Schalk was the emblem of the 2004 team for his energy, brutality and work ethnic. He was a very secure carrier in heavy traffic that gave the team assured front foot possession. In his final season with the Boks, he was a cerebral hub that play flowed through. He was still physical. 

Jun 17, 2020, 00:34

Wrong, he developed his game in England - while in SA he was a crash baller

Jun 17, 2020, 12:26

Well, if you look at how well Notshe is doing at the sharks at the moment. I've been watching a couple of videos on youtube where Everett and Notshe was interviewed as well as reading a couple of articles. 

I think problems at the stormers are Gert Smal who want big physical loose forwards. Where the sharks are using their 8's a link players with the backline. 

I think Carr would do really well in a similar team and I think to a degree wasp played like that too. They have not been the same team over the last coupe of seasons but I know de Jongh, Carr and Le Roux had a huge impact on their success

You need to Log in to reply.