Berry’s devastating rebuttal

Forum » Rugby » Berry’s devastating rebuttal

Nov 17, 2021, 22:40

An independent disciplinary committee rejected Erasmus' claim he was not responsible for publicly releasing the video, which went viral, revealing he had threatened Berry he would do just that during a phone call unless the official agreed to meet him.

The committee's report details "the human element" of the case and publishes the testimony of Berry.

The report states: " While Rassie Erasmus and SARU concentrated their attentions on the treatment of Siya Kolisi, it is Nic Berry who was vilified in the Erasmus video. We had over an hour to observe and to listen to Nic Berry, as his account was tested and challenged before us. We had no hesitation in accepting his evidence. It was measured and he made concessions where appropriate.

"He had no motive to lie, exaggerate or mislead. We were impressed by his quiet dignity, humility, and the restraint he showed during his evidence.

"We also accept without reservation that what he endured because of the publication the Erasmus video has had a profound effect upon him."

The verdict goes on to use Berry's words, which are as follows:

“Needless to say, the whole situation has been an extremely difficult time for my family and I. As a match official I understand that our performances will be heavily scrutinised, especially in such a prestigious tournament. However, the public attack on my integrity and character is not something that should be tolerated in any workplace.

"I considered officiating in a Lions tour comparable with that in a World Cup. The appointment is a honour which few achieve. However, due to the actions of Mr Erasmus, my family and I have endured a significant amount of distress and we will only have negative memories of the whole experience.

"I feel that Mr Erasmus engaged in a character assassination of me on social media. I have spent many years trying to build my reputation as an international referee and in the course of his video which was posted online, Mr Erasmus has caused it immeasurable damage.

"Though a small proportion of the rugby community will follow the outcome of this matter, and in the process obtain an accurate account of what really occurred, the wider rugby community will only be aware of me in the context of this incident. I feel that regardless of the outcome and any sanctions imposed, my reputation as a referee and person will forever be tarnished.

"Throughout Mr Erasmus’ video he makes unsubstantiated claims about the incidents that occurred in the 72hrs after the first test match which I refereed. Throughout this whole ordeal I’ve maintained my professionalism despite being the target of an unprecedented personal attack played out in the media. The evidence attached is an accurate and detailed account of what really happened and should assist World Rugby in their judicial hearing into the matter.

"I felt that Mr Erasmus’ video brought into question my professionalism and my integrity as a match official and that there was an inference to be drawn that I was in some way cheating as an official, which is obviously completely untrue.

"My reputation throughout the rugby community has suffered immeasurably from his actions and I acknowledge that the impending investigation will likely lead to more public scrutiny and unwanted media attention. However, his actions are against everything our game stands for and I feel it’s important to take a stand against such behaviour. I sincerely hope that the outcome of the independent judicial hearing will set a precedent to discourage similar behaviour in the future so that no person has to experience what I have these past few weeks.”

Nov 17, 2021, 23:15

The evidence attached is an accurate and detailed account of what really happened and should assist World Rugby in their judicial hearing into the matter.’

I’m sure Berry simply pointed out what I did….perhaps 3 or 4 of the calls were wrong with the benefit of slo mo hindsight. The rest were right or in the very large rugby grey area,

Threatening to release the tape is the villainous act here….appropriately ripped by WR.

Nov 17, 2021, 23:33

What a joke - they had no hesitation in accepting Berry’s evidence - I wonder why?

Nov 18, 2021, 00:28

Oh probably because they are all racists as Keo is now arguing.

Nov 18, 2021, 01:10

Well racists they are not but a bent bunch of old farts they are - like they were ever going to dismiss Berry’s evidence and embrace Rsssie’s - hello

Just check out the timing of their outcome - bunch of bent pricks

Nov 18, 2021, 07:45

The plot thickens...

Nov 18, 2021, 09:27

Let's see how the appeal goes

They have 7 days to apply

I wonder who conducts that hearing......

Nov 18, 2021, 10:03

Berry made 23 to 26 errors. One every 90 seconds. 

Anybody who saw the clip knows there were errors so blatant that only cheating can be the explanation. 

Look at that tip tackle on Willie a definite yellow card. 

Mozzzz of course sides with the bent ref exposed by the clip. His vitriol against Rassie never ceases. What a disgrace.

Why did Berry refuse to meet with Rassie. Why did they publish Berry's comments but we hear nothing from Rassie.

Why all this immediately before the England test.

With a pom and two kiwis what chance did Rassie have in a closed hearing.

This whole thing stinks. 

Nov 18, 2021, 10:25

"Why all this immediately before the England test"

Absolutely pathetic timing.....it almost looks deliberate

And the "rumour" making the rounds...…. is that they were possibly worried about a leak, so they went ahead and released the findings now.

What a joke..... you have very limited people on that specific panel, you could and should have easily kept the integrity of that committee intact and kept this outcome in house till after all games were completed.

What a farce

Nov 18, 2021, 11:27

"they were possibly worried about a leak, "

But yet they concluded the video was a deliberate action and not a leak. What horse sh!t...They mention the testimony Berry gave but mention nothing about evidence submitted...the decide to believe Berry and decide not to believe Rassie...no bias here, mve on...

Nov 18, 2021, 13:50

I’m sure Berry simply pointed out what I did….perhaps 3 or 4 of the calls were wrong with the benefit of slo mo hindsight.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA  - Berry admitted to 17 errors. the IRB said 23 and Rassie listed 26.

Lets go with the IRB as the most likely.

The EGG has Landed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nov 19, 2021, 18:10

Sounds to me like he is trying his best to deflect the issue by claiming that his reputation in the rugby world has been ruined due to the Video.

ACTUALLY BERRY YOU REPUTATION WAS RUINED THE DAY YOU BLEW THE GAME WITH THE BL AND TO ALL SPORT FANS AROUND THE WORLD.

Nov 19, 2021, 18:22

Where did the IRB agree to 23….and Hun sent 36 clips. Even if every concession Berry made was wrong, he was still more right in the heat of battle than Harrassmiss and his reffing team were in the conference room where they poured over slo/mo.

Nov 19, 2021, 18:48

Whether it's 23 or 17 it's far too many...one or 2 or even 3 is acceptable to pass international requirements.

We are hypocrites...Craig Joubert, one of the best, made one or 2 per game and was crucified by the public..one against France/NZ in WC final and another in Scotland, I think Australia game.

You need to Log in to reply.