Australia wants to host Rugby Championship

Forum » Rugby » Australia wants to host Rugby Championship

Jun 02, 2020, 18:03

So it looks like Aus wants to host a shortened version of the Rugby Championship. 

I for one support the idea of having it hosted rather than the stupid travelling everyone has to do. 

I'm sure the Sanzar team alone will draw in a crowd. 

But what would it look like though? 

Would be hosted over 3 weeks round robin with a final game between the two leaders? 

That said, they might as well open the door for Japan and one of the pacific teams to make it more appealing. 

Perhaps bring back the Pacific Island team that did so well in 2004

Jun 14, 2020, 14:23

Rugby Australia’s interim chief executive, Rob Clarke, said the organisation is in talks about allowing New Zealand, South Africa and Argentina’s teams to enter the country and be based in a “quarantine hub”. chiefs blues live

Jun 14, 2020, 15:33

That’s a way of rescuing the tournament....but there will be a huge preparation imbalance.  I guess we just send over a core of WC players and hope they haven’t had too much boerewors during the lockdown.

Jun 14, 2020, 20:33

I bet Malherbe is looking like a barrel again

Jun 14, 2020, 21:18

For the older players like Vermuelen, it probably revitalises them having this time off. Time to get over niggly injuries. Although, Frans Steyn has been settling on his Free State farm and apparently weighs 118kg again.

There is ongoing talk of a global season which would give rugby players more time off and ensure longer careers and more games by the best players.

Boks will not be allowed to play all year round with a global season by playing club rugby in other continents. A global season of say 8 months per year -would ensure test teams are selecting from their best available players more often. 

The other 4 months can be fitness, skills, strategy and conditioning- but give players more time in the offseason.

Jun 14, 2020, 21:36

Four months of no rugby will never happen

No rugby means no revenue generated - it just won’t happen

Unions can’t afford to be non active for 4 months

Jun 14, 2020, 22:07

The Sharks season starts from January to around September which is around 9 months.
It used to start later before SuperRugby

Jun 14, 2020, 22:23

Provincial players play for 9 months of the year, test player for a good 10 months

Rugby as a whole stops for about 2 months of the year

Add the fact that these days players go off for short contracts in Japan etc seeing them playing for most of the year

Jun 15, 2020, 03:26

A global season will prevent players from being able to play for 12 months per year - as there will be a minimum of  9-10 months in a global season. 

The Northern Hemisphere needs to start playing in February and finish in October - as with other countries. December and January should be resting. 

The Northern Hemisphere would benefit from better playing conditions with less rain and wind. 

Jun 15, 2020, 12:39

I’m all for a global tournament, but rugby is not as developed as NFL and neither can rugby players play for 11 months of the year. 

We all would like to see test matches, but having clubs like France that pay tons of money, it would be really hard to share those players. 

Ideally it should be no more than 8 months. Allow for a 3 month end of season break and 1 month mid season break to give the players time to recover. 

Can club rugby survive on having their top players for 5 months and allowing them to play test rugby for 6 months. 

I do think the shortened super rugby model works, but this because of franchise and the national union having close ties 

Where as in Europe they will really struggle

Jun 15, 2020, 12:39

I’m all for a global tournament, but rugby is not as developed as NFL and neither can rugby players play for 11 months of the year. 

We all would like to see test matches, but having clubs like France that pay tons of money, it would be really hard to share those players. 

Ideally it should be no more than 8 months. Allow for a 3 month end of season break and 1 month mid season break to give the players time to recover. 

Can club rugby survive on having their top players for 5 months and allowing them to play test rugby for 6 months. 

I do think the shortened super rugby model works, but this because of franchise and the national union having close ties 

Where as in Europe they will really struggle

Jun 15, 2020, 13:07

Where as in Europe they will really struggle  “

The European season starts at the end of August and ends the second week of May. That is 8 months and two weeks. The first game of the 2018/19 season was on 31 August and the last game of the pool stages was on 18 May. Of course the season officially ended later but there were only two teams involved in the final and two more in the semifinal prior to that. 

The one issue with changing the season for the NH is the humidity in the summer. The temperature right now in Reading is 23 Celsius and the humidity, on a clear cloudless summer’s day is 44%. Pretoria is 16 Celsius but with a much lower humidity of 26%. Both have a 10% chance of rain during the next 24 hours. I can remember looking. Yesterday, at some stage, the Reading humidity was 68%. No rain. 

France has the same issue, especially the southern regions. Paris right now is 21 Celsius, 60% humidity and also 10% chance of rain. Toulon, 25 Celsius, 46% humidity and also 10% chance of rain. 

You need to Log in to reply.