Serena Williams demonstrates a good 40 year old…

Forum » Other Sports » Serena Williams demonstrates a good 40 year old…

Sep 01, 2022, 05:44

….can dispose of a number 2 seed with ease. Actually I haven’t always enjoyed the Williams act, but this was pretty impressive. Almost 41, a mother and having played only 6 matches this year….more than impressive. Williams, Nadal and the Joker are showing tennis is a game you can play at the top for 20 years.

Whether her body can hold up through the whole tournament is still doubtful….but today she outplayed, actually outhit the youngster. Which of course suggests tennis hasn’t really got better over the last 20 years.

Sep 01, 2022, 07:32

Hooray for her - she did very well for a 40 year old.   Hope she survives another round.      Must agree with you on the point of getting better over the last 20 years.   It may be that the players are now as a rule hit a wider group of competitiots than there were in the Nadal, Djokovic and  Federer did in their hay-days. - si there are more suroorise results than thee were in the past.   

If you see my thread on the  TPA US Open and my remarks on the seeds falling by the e wayside the latter statement on the issue is clear.   At this stage I am rather unhappy with some p[layers I regarded as future stars ,   I can add Jack Draper to the list of future stars.  The way he dealt with Auger-Aliassime  today showed some real promise.   

So you can add this 20-year old to the list of younger players you despise.      .   

Sep 01, 2022, 08:53

That's embarrassing. Losing to a fat, old hasbeen like that.

Serena is no where near what she was and yet she thumped her in the 3rd.

I'd give up the sport if I were Kontaveit. 

Try netball or something.

What a disgrace.

Sep 01, 2022, 14:18

I don’t despise any of the youngsters….I just want them to prove themselves before they get anointed. I actually think wee Alcatraz might have a good run at the Open….some of the pressure of expectations is off and the field is weak and decimated.

Sep 01, 2022, 21:47

I agree. Lets not hale him king just yet. 

Roger, Novak, Rafa and Serena are a special breed of player that in my opinion comes once in a life time.

Alcaraz has a lot to prove. 

Sep 02, 2022, 01:08

Agreed a special breed…there has to be a Chariots like movie….only trouble is there is no bad guy.

Sep 02, 2022, 10:04

Let’s not forget Pete Sampras.

Sep 02, 2022, 14:12

Everyone thought it impossible to beat his slam count ... and yet ... we have 3 who beat it easily.

Now we're saying the same thing about our current 3 GOATS.

It might be a tougher ask ... but possible.

We'll see. 

Sep 03, 2022, 05:43

Your age-admiring dream did not last long - now did it?    

Sep 03, 2022, 05:44

DUPLICATION

Sep 03, 2022, 08:45

Mike ... it was never about her winning the slam. 

That was never going to happen.

It was about a 40 year old superstar still being competitive against the younguns. 

She was.

Who knows what would have happened in the 3rd had she been in shape.

Stop being so grumpy.

You need to Log in to reply.