2022 FIFA World Cup . . .

Forum » Football » 2022 FIFA World Cup . . .

Oct 26, 2022, 13:28

I'm counting the days!

No question Brazil will start as favourites - as is usual whenever the WC is hosted outside of Europe. They have a very strong squad with so much depth in every position that club stars like Gabriel Martinelli, Philippe Coutinho and Dan Alves don't even make the extended squad. A choice between two of the best goalkeepers in the world, defenders like Marquinhos, Thiago Silva, Danilo and Alex Telles fighting it out for a starting spot, midfielders like Casemiro, Fabinho, Bruno Guimaeres and Fred and then a host of world class attackers like Neymar, Rodrygo, Vinicius Jr, Richarlison, Gabriel Jesus, Raphina and Antony to choose from makes Brazil very hard to oppose, but they will need to settle on a team and gel otherwise it could be like 2014 when they were hosts and hot favourites and got thumped 7-1 by Germany in the semis. They are not invincible.

Reigning champions France have to be respected despite a poor showing by their standards in Euro 2020. They also have an embarrssment of riches when it comes to selection . . . think Hugo Lloris in goals, Benjamin Pavard, Rafael Varane and Lucas Hernandez in defence, N'golo Kante, Paul Pogba and Adrien Rabiot in the midfield behind attackers like Kylian Mbappe, Antoine Griezmann and Karim Benzema. They will be a tough team to defend against.

We all know that the 2014 champions Germany will be competitive. Like France, they weren't great in the 2020 Euros but it's hard to even imagine Germany not making the semis yet again in a World Cup. Not as many recognisable names as they've had in the past but they do still have a hardcore Bayern Munich backbone in Manuel Neuer, Joshua Kimmich, Serge Gnabry, Leroy Sane and Thomas Mueller along with the likes of Mats Hummels, Antonio Rudiger, Ilkay Gundogan, Marco Reus, Timo Werner and Kai Havertz . . . and der Mannschaft have never relied on individual brilliance but rather cohesive team work and iron discipline . . . which they will have in spades.

England have a fantastic squad on paper but it is a major tournament so it's a question of when they will choke rather than if they will choke. If almost any other country could choose from players like Aaron Ramsdale, Trent Alexander-Arnold, Declan Rice, Jude Bellingham, Mason Mount, Jack Grealish, Raheem Sterling, Bukayo Saka, Phil Foden and Harry Kane you'd have to make them one of the favourites . . . but it is England and it is a World Cup . . . so I can't see football coming home any time soon.

Belgium had an excellent Euro 2020 but you can't help thinking that with the likes of Romelu Lukaku, Eden Hazard and Christian Benteke all out of form that they won't have a squad as strong as that. However, we've seen before how a single player can transform a team in the World Cup (think Maradona, Hagi, Rossi, Stoichkov, Ronaldo (the Ronaldo, not Cristiano), Suker and Milla) and Belgium do have the best player in the world in Kevin de Bruyne . . . so if he stays fit, don't count Belgium out. Also, Thorgen Hazard's sparkling recent form cancels out the poor form of his brother Eden.

This will almost certainly be the last chance for Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo to add the World Cup to their respective CVs and claim the title of best footballer of their generation for once and for all, and both Argentina and Portugal have decent looking squads. Not sure if they have the depth of squad to go all the way but I'm expecting Julian Alvarez of Argentina and Bruno Fernandez of Portugal to have an impact on the tournament.

With Italy out, I would only add Spain and the Netherlands as potential winners but Spain are not the great team of 2010 while Holland - like England - have choked once too often to be considered winners and will invaribaly have one of their team implosions during the course of the tournament.

Uruguay are a team to watch, especially with their potentially lethal attack comprising Luis Suarez, Edson Cavani and Darwin Nunes, but they don't have the same quality elsewhere on the park. 

South Korea have a world class match-winner in Son Heung Min Son but probably not enough depth to go beyond the quarters. 

Croatia have an easy group and must be respected but I'm not seeing too many new faces to replace their waning stars.

I expect the African challenge to come from one of Ghana, Cameroon or Senegal but not convinced any of them have the ability to become the first African side in the semis of a WC. Hope I'm wrong!

I'll be supporting England (again!) and Wales because of my ancestry, I'll be supporting the sub-Saharan African teams and I'll also be supporting Belgium because of Kevin de Bruyne.

My head says Brazil or Germany.

Bring it on!

Nov 01, 2022, 05:53

Good analysis. 

Nov 23, 2022, 17:43

Incredible.

This the tournament of two halves. First Argentina, now Germany. Both up against WC lightweights, both dominate the first half only to see the minnows (playing fantastic football let it be said) turn them over in the second half.

USA vs Wales was no different except the Boyos couldn't get a winner.

The Jap subsitute's first touch before setting off to score a great winner was sublime. 

The whole Saudi Arabian team were just brilliant throughout the second half.

What a tournament so far!

Nov 24, 2022, 09:46

Wow!

I would like to change what I said about Spain in the OP. I originally said they weren't the great team of 2010 but based on last night's performance, this team of youngsters could be even better! While watching the game I found myself thinking who could possibly beat these guys?

I know it was only Costa Rica but the clinical way they dismantled them and their precision on attack was just beautiful to watch. 

Asensio, Torres and Morata got most of the glory but it was the two young teenagers playing just behind them that makes me think Spain are potential winners. Pedri and Gavi were nothing short of sensational.

Can't wait for Brazil tonight!

Nov 25, 2022, 08:49

Ummm . . . excuse me Richarlison, where is that deadly acrobatic finishing when you're wearing a Tottenham shirt?

Okay, we've seen everyone play. My shortlist of winners is now:

Spain, France, Brazil, England, Netherlands.

Will be a pity if Neymar is out but it might actually help Brazil. Neymar is unquestionably a brilliant talent but he tries too much by himself and demands the ball too often. The other players defer to him and pass to him even when better options are on. Wasn't impressed with Raphina. Think maybe Jesus and Antony need to come in for Neymar (if he's out) and Raphina.

Nov 25, 2022, 09:35

I haven't watched England and the Netherlands and I've only seen the first half of the Brazil game but I have to say that the minnow nations like Japan and Korean Republic are highly impressive.....the days of soft games seems to be a thing of the past. 

Would love to see an African team do as well and I wouldn't mind England bringing it home.

Is this the most exciting WC ever? Surely has to be looking at some of the surprising results.

Nov 27, 2022, 04:58

I've given up on England winning the WC, they're pedestrian and lack a killer blow. They would have to up their tempo and be a menace in attack to improve their chances. Think Denmark is a quality side and with some luck could go deep into the tournament.

Nov 27, 2022, 12:14

Japan vs Costa Rica on right now and it's an interesting one. If Costa Rica compete against Japan then it puts those opening games into perspective and Spain will surely smash Germany later on today. If that is the case, I make them clear favourites to win the tournament.

Nov 27, 2022, 15:09

Spain put forward the most dominant display down as a marker. I can't recall a team being so heavily beaten in every facet of play. Costa Rica are hardly heavyweights, but they can play a bit. Disappointed that Japan couldn't finish them off today. This is the theme of the World Cup: Take your chances and convert pressure into goals. Most games I've watched, the more dominant team did not win. France, Spain and Brazil are the best finishers. They can pack on a big score even when playing badly. Germany, England, Holland... they can't do that. Argentina are a shambles. 

Nov 27, 2022, 23:25

Fair result in fairly even game Spain vs Germany, thought Spain had slightly better chances although Spain fluffed one goal. Great game that sat on a knife's edge all the way through.

Nov 28, 2022, 12:06

Thought Spain showed Germany too much respect. They could have buried them in that first half. Not quite as dominant a display as their opener but they still look a formidable side.

Most people I know have narrowed it down to France, Brazil or Spain as potential winners with England best of the rest.

Just to point out that the draw gives Germany a real lifeline and the runner up in Group E gets a relatively easy run to the semis against an off-form Belgium or Croatia in the round of 16 and probably Portugal in the quarters so the Germans are not out of this.

Nov 29, 2022, 15:21

Last round of the group stages and there are a lot of permutations:

Group A

Ecuador-Senegal (29 November, 18:00 local time)

Netherlands-Qatar (29 November, 18:00 local time) 

Netherlands need to win or draw to qualify. They will still qualify if they lose, provided Ecuador beat Senegal.

Ecuador need to win or draw to qualify. They remain in contention to qualify if they lose and Qatar beat Netherlands.

Senegal need to win to qualify but remain in contention if they draw and Qatar beat Netherlands.

Qatar are eliminated.

Group B

Wales-England (29 November, 22:00 local time)

IR Iran-USA (29 November, 22:00 local time) 

England will qualify with a win or draw. Depending on goal difference, the Three Lions could also make it through in defeat.

Wales must win to have any chance of progressing.

IR Iran are guaranteed to progress if they beat USA.

A draw will also take the Iranians through provided Wales do not beat England (in which case goal difference will come into play).

For USA, it's simple: win and they are through. Lose or draw and they will be heading home.

Group C

Saudi Arabia v Mexico (30 November, 22:00 local time)

Poland v Argentina (30 November, 22:00 local time)

Poland will be through with a win or a draw, but would be knocked out by a defeat coupled with a Saudi Arabia victory. If Poland lose and Saudi Arabia draw, the two teams will have to be separated by goal difference. If Poland lose and Mexico win, their fate will also be decided on goal difference.

Argentina must win to be sure of progressing, while a draw would be enough if Mexico and Saudi Arabia also draw. However, a draw coupled with a Saudi Arabia victory would see La Albiceleste knocked out, and a draw coupled with a Mexico win takes the group to goal difference. Argentina are out if they lose.

Saudi Arabia will reach the Round of 16 if they win. A draw would be enough if Poland defeat Argentina, but if both matches are tied, they will go out. Should Argentina defeat Poland and Saudi Arabia draw, progress will be decided on goal difference between the European and Middle East sides. Defeat would see them knocked out.

Mexico must win to have any chance of staying in the competition. They will be sure to go through if Poland win. If they win and Argentina and Poland draw, it will come down to goal difference with Argentina. Should Argentina win, goal difference will be required to separate Mexico and Poland.

Group D

Tunisia-France (30 November, 18:00 local time)

Australia-Denmark (30 November, 18:00 local time)

France are already qualified and will top the group unless they lose to Tunisia and Australia beat Denmark, which would leave them tied on six points with the Socceroos.

Victory will see Australia qualify, while a draw would be enough unless Tunisia beat France, which would see the North African side go through on goal difference.

Denmark must win against Australia and, if they do so, will be certain to qualify unless Tunisia beat France, which would leave them tied on four points with the Carthage Eagles.

Tunisia must beat France and hope Denmark avoid defeat by Australia to be in contention to qualify.

Group E

Costa Rica-Germany (1 December, 22:00 local time)

Japan-Spain (1 December, 22:00 local time)?

Spain will qualify for the Round of 16 with a win or a draw. Defeat to Japan will leave them relying on their currently superior goal difference to progress, unless Costa Rica beat Germany, in which case Luis Enrique’s side will be out.

Japan can go through with victory against Spain, while a draw, coupled with deadlock in the Costa Rica v Germany clash, will ensure they progress. They will go out if they are beaten by Spain, or if the match ends in a draw and Costa Rica triumph against Germany. Goal difference will be required to decide their fate if they draw and Germany are victorious.

Costa Rica can reach the last 16 by defeating Germany. A draw for Luis Fernando Suarez’s side would also guarantee a spot in the next phase if Spain overcome Japan, but if the current group leaders are beaten then goal difference comes into play. A draw in both games or a defeat for Costa Rica puts them out.

Germany must pick up three points to stay in contention. Victory over Costa Rica coupled with a win for Spain against Japan will see them qualify. A draw between Luis Enrique’s side and the Samurai Blue, or a win for Japan, would take the equation to goal difference. All other results would see Hansi Flick’s men out of the competition.

Group F

Canada-Morocco (1 December, 18:00 local time)

Croatia-Belgium (1 December, 18:00 local time)

Croatia are through if they win or draw. Defeat would leave them needing eliminated Canada to overcome Morocco, in which case goal difference would be required to separate Zlatko Dalic's side from the Atlas Lions.

Morocco are through if they win or draw. Defeat would leave them needing Belgium to overcome Croatia, in which case goal difference would be required to determine if they or the 2018 runners-up progress to the last 16.

Belgium will qualify for the Round of 16 with victory over Croatia. Defeat will see them knocked out. A draw will only be enough if Morocco are beaten by Canada, with goal difference then set to determine where Roberto Martinez’s side and Walid Regragui’s outfit finish in Group F.

Canada are already eliminated after losing their opening two fixtures.

Group G

Serbia-Switzerland (2 December, 22:00 local time)

Cameroon-Brazil ?(2 December, 22:00 local time) 

Brazil are already through and will finish top of the group if they draw or win. If Brazil lose and Switzerland win, top spot will be decided by goal difference.

Switzerland will be out if they are beaten by Serbia, but through with a win. Should they take all three points, goal difference would decide top spot of the group if Brazil lose against Cameroon. If Switzerland draw they would be through if Brazil win or draw. But if Cameroon beat Brazil and the Swiss take a point, then second place will be decided by goal difference.

Serbia and Cameroon both need to win to still have a chance to progress. If both win then second place between the two would be decided by goal difference.

Group H

Ghana-Uruguay (2 December, 18:00 local time)

Korea Republic-Portugal? (2 December, 18:00 local time) 

Portugal are already through and can secure top spot with a draw or a win against Korea Republic.

Ghana can progress with a win against Uruguay. If they draw they would go through if Korea Republic do not beat Portugal. If the Asian side win then second place would be decided by goal difference between them and Ghana.

Uruguay and Korea Republic will be out if they lose or draw. Uruguay can still go through with a win if Korea Republic don't beat Portugal. If both teams triumph, then second spot will be decided between them by goal difference.

Tiebreakers work as follows:

If two or more teams in the same group are equal on points after the completion of the group stage, the following criteria, in the order below, shall be applied to determine the ranking:

• Step 1:

(a) greatest number of points obtained in all group matches;

(b) superior goal difference in all group matches;

(c) greatest number of goals scored in all group matches.

• Step 2:

If two or more teams in the same group are equal on the basis of the above three criteria, their rankings will be determined as follows:

(d) greatest number of points obtained in the group matches between the teams concerned;

(e) superior goal difference resulting from the group matches between the teams concerned;

(f) greatest number of goals scored in all group matches between the teams concerned;

(g) highest team conduct score relating to the number of yellow and red cards obtained;

(h) drawing of lots by FIFA.

Senegal need to win to qualify but remain in contention if they draw and Qatar beat Netherlands.

Qatar are eliminated.

Group B

Wales-England (29 November, 22:00 local time)?

IR Iran-USA (29 November, 22:00 local time) 

England will qualify with a win or draw. Depending on goal difference, the Three Lions could also make it through in defeat.

Wales must win to have any chance of progressing?.

IR Iran are guaranteed to progress if they beat USA.

A draw will also take the Iranians through provided Wales do not beat England (in which case goal difference will come into play).?

For USA, it's simple: win and they are through. Lose or draw and they will be heading home.

Group C

Saudi Arabia v Mexico (30 November, 22:00 local time)

Poland v Argentina (30 November, 22:00 local time)

Poland will be through with a win or a draw, but would be knocked out by a defeat coupled with a Saudi Arabia victory. If Poland lose and Saudi Arabia draw, the two teams will have to be separated by goal difference. If Poland lose and Mexico win, their fate will also be decided on goal difference.

Argentina must win to be sure of progressing, while a draw would be enough if Mexico and Saudi Arabia also draw. However, a draw coupled with a Saudi Arabia victory would see La Albiceleste knocked out, and a draw coupled with a Mexico win takes the group to goal difference. Argentina are out if they lose.

Saudi Arabia will reach the Round of 16 if they win. A draw would be enough if Poland defeat Argentina, but if both matches are tied, they will go out. Should Argentina defeat Poland and Saudi Arabia draw, progress will be decided on goal difference between the European and Middle East sides. Defeat would see them knocked out.

Mexico must win to have any chance of staying in the competition. They will be sure to go through if Poland win. If they win and Argentina and Poland draw, it will come down to goal difference with Argentina. Should Argentina win, goal difference will be required to separate Mexico and Poland.

Group D

Tunisia-France (30 November, 18:00 local time)

Australia-Denmark (30 November, 18:00 local time)

France are already qualified and will top the group unless they lose to Tunisia and Australia beat Denmark, which would leave them tied on six points with the Socceroos.

Victory will see Australia qualify, while a draw would be enough unless Tunisia beat France, which would see the North African side go through on goal difference.

Denmark must win against Australia and, if they do so, will be certain to qualify unless Tunisia beat France, which would leave them tied on four points with the Carthage Eagles.

Tunisia must beat France and hope Denmark avoid defeat by Australia to be in contention to qualify.

Group E

Costa Rica-Germany (1 December, 22:00 local time)

Japan-Spain (1 December, 22:00 local time)

Spain will qualify for the Round of 16 with a win or a draw. Defeat to Japan will leave them relying on their currently superior goal difference to progress, unless Costa Rica beat Germany, in which case Luis Enrique’s side will be out.

Japan can go through with victory against Spain, while a draw, coupled with deadlock in the Costa Rica v Germany clash, will ensure they progress. They will go out if they are beaten by Spain, or if the match ends in a draw and Costa Rica triumph against Germany. Goal difference will be required to decide their fate if they draw and Germany are victorious.

Costa Rica can reach the last 16 by defeating Germany. A draw for Luis Fernando Suarez’s side would also guarantee a spot in the next phase if Spain overcome Japan, but if the current group leaders are beaten then goal difference comes into play. A draw in both games or a defeat for Costa Rica puts them out.

Germany must pick up three points to stay in contention. Victory over Costa Rica coupled with a win for Spain against Japan will see them qualify. A draw between Luis Enrique’s side and the Samurai Blue, or a win for Japan, would take the equation to goal difference. All other results would see Hansi Flick’s men out of the competition.

?Group F

Canada-Morocco (1 December, 18:00 local time)

Croatia-Belgium (1 December, 18:00 local time)

Croatia are through if they win or draw. Defeat would leave them needing eliminated Canada to overcome Morocco, in which case goal difference would be required to separate Zlatko Dalic's side from the Atlas Lions.

Morocco are through if they win or draw. Defeat would leave them needing Belgium to overcome Croatia, in which case goal difference would be required to determine if they or the 2018 runners-up progress to the last 16.

Belgium will qualify for the Round of 16 with victory over Croatia. Defeat will see them knocked out. A draw will only be enough if Morocco are beaten by Canada, with goal difference then set to determine where Roberto Martinez’s side and Walid Regragui’s outfit finish in Group F.

Canada are already eliminated after losing their opening two fixtures.

Group G

Serbia-Switzerland (2 December, 22:00 local time)

Cameroon-Brazil ?(2 December, 22:00 local time) 

Brazil are already through and will finish top of the group if they draw or win. If Brazil lose and Switzerland win, top spot will be decided by goal difference.

Switzerland will be out if they are beaten by Serbia, but through with a win. Should they take all three points, goal difference would decide top spot of the group if Brazil lose against Cameroon. If Switzerland draw they would be through if Brazil win or draw. But if Cameroon beat Brazil and the Swiss take a point, then second place will be decided by goal difference.

Serbia and Cameroon both need to win to still have a chance to progress. If both win then second place between the two would be decided by goal difference.

Group H

Ghana-Uruguay (2 December, 18:00 local time)

Korea Republic-Portugal? (2 December, 18:00 local time) 

Portugal are already through and can secure top spot with a draw or a win against Korea Republic.

Ghana can progress with a win against Uruguay. If they draw they would go through if Korea Republic do not beat Portugal. If the Asian side win then second place would be decided by goal difference between them and Ghana.

Uruguay and Korea Republic will be out if they lose or draw. Uruguay can still go through with a win if Korea Republic don't beat Portugal. If both teams triumph, then second spot will be decided between them by goal difference.

Tiebreakers work as follows:

If two or more teams in the same group are equal on points after the completion of the group stage, the following criteria, in the order below, shall be applied to determine the ranking:

• Step 1:

(a) greatest number of points obtained in all group matches;

(b) superior goal difference in all group matches;

(c) greatest number of goals scored in all group matches.

• Step 2:

If two or more teams in the same group are equal on the basis of the above three criteria, their rankings will be determined as follows:

(d) greatest number of points obtained in the group matches between the teams concerned;

(e) superior goal difference resulting from the group matches between the teams concerned;

(f) greatest number of goals scored in all group matches between the teams concerned;

(g) highest team conduct score relating to the number of yellow and red cards obtained;

(h) drawing of lots by FIFA.

Nov 30, 2022, 11:30

Think the two most impressive teams have been Les Bleus and Brazil.

But is there a chance of one of the minnow teams making the semi's? possibly an African team.

Dec 01, 2022, 09:14

Still 8 more games to go in the group stages and the entire round of 16 to be played but it's looking like a very evenly balanced and strong quarterfinal lineup.

Assuming Germany squeak through in 2nd place in their group, the round of 16 will almost certainly look like this:

1A Netherlands vs 2B USA

1C Argentina vs 2D Australia

----------------------------------------------------

1E Spain vs 2F Morocco, Croatia or Belgium

1G Brazil vs 2H Ghana or Uruguay

1B England vs 2A Senegal

1D France vs 2C Poland

-------------------------------------------------------

1F Morocco, Croatia or Belgium vs 2E Germany

1H Portugal vs Switzerland or Serbia

If the higlighted teams all win their round of 16 game (as they should), we will have the best and strongest quarterfinal lineup ever seen at a WC Finals with all the major teams other than Belgium getting to the quarterfinals . . . and Belgium have been rubbish anyway so it will effectively be the 8 best teams in the world.

Don't think that's ever happened before.

Dec 03, 2022, 19:24

The USA lose with ample possession. Three well taken but easy breakaway goals. Lots of criticism of Pulisik for not burying his early chance, but he made the chance and took it quickly…just one of those things.

The real issue was the understanding among the defenders. They were beaten twice by the cut back pass with 3 US defenders clustered together and nobody marking the outside.

Hard to say how good the Dutch are, they were organized and clinical but mainly counter punching. Still there are no obvious weaknesses.

Dec 03, 2022, 22:42

Am typing this with Argentina leading Oz 2-0 with under half an hour to go, so I'm expecting a Netherlands vs Argentina quarterfinal which will evoke memories of 1978, the first WC I was old enough to appreciate.

I also haven't been convinced by the Dutch. I think Argentina will knock them out and set up a titanic semi against Brazil.

Still can't get over Japan beating Germany, then losing to Costa Rica and then beating Spain. Kind of sums up this topsy-turvy but wonderfully entertaining World Cup so far.

Come on England, for King Harry!

Dec 04, 2022, 01:00

The Netherlands were very clearly two or three levels better than the USA. They have the game to go far, if they are focused. The quality of their buildup play was lightyears ahead of the yanks, who to their credit tried hard. They were simply outclassed by a vastly superior team. 

Dec 04, 2022, 08:08

Bring it home England but geez I have my heart in my mouth as I fear another boil over.

Would looove to see Phil Foden or Harry Kane score one

Dec 04, 2022, 18:10

Terrific first half in the France/Poland match. France has so much pace any mistake looks like a possible goal. They could be the team… 

Dec 04, 2022, 18:56

France has so many vulnerabilities, but they have the capacity to finish off every opportunity. They are by far the best finishers in Europe, if not the entire world. It was the same in 2018, they seldom played well, but they were so clinical. 

Dec 04, 2022, 19:38

Mbappe....clinical by nature, lethal by design, both his goals were great but his second is my pick of the two, it was brilliant.

Go Les Bleus, they remain my pick to win the WC. Such a pity that Brazil who I believe is a possible winner are plaqued by injury problems.

Go England!

Dec 04, 2022, 19:55

Natural order seems to be prevailing in the last 16, as Argentina, Holland, and France quite ruthlessly vanquish their foes. England will defeat Senegal, Brazil will defeat South Korea, and that leaves Japan and Croatia as the last 50/50 match. 

Dec 05, 2022, 09:37

Well, well, well......France vs England is not ideal, my heart is ticking England my mind France.

Every mortal football fan is screaming England, man this is hard and if records count for anything then it's not a good one against Les Bleus.

Dec 05, 2022, 17:11

Go Japan!!!

Dec 06, 2022, 14:07

I'm not particularly fussed about this generation of French players, but I do hope they wallop England. The French are quite open to goals, if you can take those chances. That'll be England's best bet. I cannot see England coming back from a deficit. 

Dec 06, 2022, 15:21

Japan definitely went…..hahaha!

Dec 06, 2022, 20:02

What a game! Morocco was heroic! Who'd have imagined the Spanish would miss all their penalties? In the end, I feel the team who had the most quality chances, who worked their socks off, won it in the end. 

You need to Log in to reply.