What a tragic day on destruction of Cricket in SA

Forum » Cricket » What a tragic day on destruction of Cricket in SA

Apr 16, 2021, 21:46

The public is fast losing interest in the Proteas and cricket in general,    I am mot referring to the SAC  here referring to the AG, but the incredible incompetence and lack of understanding about team selection processes,   

How is it possible that after the disastrous series losses there are people in authority that still believe in flogging a dead horse?   The Lion is dying - but should some  not look for a replacement strategy?                   

Apr 18, 2021, 01:31

So nominate your Proteas team that could defeat:

Smith

Amla

Gibbs

Kallis

A B

Cullinan

Boucher

Pollock

Steyn

Tahir

Donald

Impregnable batting, impregnable bowling.....unlike the current clowns. And if you can’t nominate the team just accept Boucher has less to work with than his predecessors.

Apr 18, 2021, 09:10

Mozart

The issue here has nothing to do with any players you listed - but some of them overstayed their welcome and were disastrously poor in their last season  before they themselves  decide to quit.   Smith and Amla fell in that category.   Steyn was disastrously poor in the 2019 CWC  and was kept for a few games and then  effectively dropped from the team.   

Most of the others retired on their own when still in acceptable performance-wise - but Boucher was forced out by an eye-injury,   

The problem is not what Mozart  wants to make it out to be and it is the issue of selection since it is undermining SA Cricket at present.   The second issue is that team renewal is necessary and for that reason selection of players should be dealt with  on the basis of longer-term potential.   To start replacing players with those who is already in their 30's and then say they "own" their positions and cannot be replaced despite performance-failure  is lunacy.

Boucher talks about the squads comprising of 'young players"  players - but his definition of "young players" is totally absurd.    If a player is not a seasoned  international performer by 28 - he at that stage is already quite advanced in age in professional sports terms  - he should not be regarded as "young",   He has no idea about team building and less about identifying players for long-term development of the team.      

Anyway - there are younger players with the potential to  develop into greater player than those listed and you make out that players like  Donald, Gibbs, Pollard  and Cullinan played together with the rest of those listed  is absurd and totally wrong as being available as a squad at the same time is BS. 

Boucher in fact is making a farce of selections and that is why he is a failure as coach.   There are potential players not selected who may even be better than those listed by you - so he has not used those.    A typical example is Verreynne - where he F#cked up royally,   Verreynne is a better batsman-wicketkeeper than Klaasen will ever be and that si a definite - yet Klaasen is his choice  as captain and batsman  is a farce.     

Mozart should blame the present coaching set-up for the disasters - since he is just excusing their deficiencies and not look at the potential development of younger cricketers ignored by stupidity of the present coach,   

Mozart supported Meyer and Coetzee when they were destroying SA Rugby - he is now doing the same in the case of Boucher.               

Apr 18, 2021, 12:02

Moz

I'd have McKenzie and Kirsten instead of Gibbs and Cullinan...in the longer game.

Smith and McKenzie have the best opening record since our return to international sports. 

Kirsten was better than Cullinan at every aspect of batting, including absorbing pressure.

In the shporter version I'd take Klusner and Parnell(always felt he was underrated) ahead of those 2.

Apr 18, 2021, 13:51

Donald is not a fool.   He rated M Pretorius and Van Tonder as two of the best players he ever coached and  that they are the est ibn SA - bit that suis inored by the ignoramus who is now the coach,    Then we have Verreinne, and a string of other players that is way better than Smuts, Van Biljon ansd even Van der Dussen - but he is ignoring them .   Donald also identify  Marco Jacobs as something special  and Mumbai took their cue from them.

Why is he not in the Proteas coaching set-up as bowling coach and a member of the farce that is not selecting the playing teams.    He knows more about cricket in his small finger than Boucher does,

Elsewhere I wrote about the captaincy  of  Klaasen.   I do not see him advising bowlers where to bowl against specific players or him talking to the bowlers when they go rogue..    His field placings are total hogwash too,     In the shorter version of the game  you place your better catchers in strategic positions.    You place faster and more agile  players on the border  of the field.    The latter lead to 2 missed catches in two games  - eg Van Biljon.   To my mind a captain should read the game and take counter-measures when required - Klaasen has not done  anything to try and steady the ship.                               

Apr 18, 2021, 16:20

I accept that, Plum, I didn’t really think it through. Klaasens is superb though.

Apr 18, 2021, 18:18

In what is Klaasen superb?     As captain leading a team that lost  3 series in a row?   As batsman who  failed in  11 of the 13 matches he played  in in the three series?     Is  your norm for superb?  

Apr 19, 2021, 13:56

I also like Klaasen.

Mike is not a fan though haha.

Mike, he can only do so much. He played well in this T20 series and let's try to remember that he's not quite an old hand just yet.

Apr 19, 2021, 15:37

He’s almost getting to his great years.....what a leader.

Apr 19, 2021, 16:34

Boucher is fast proving he is utterly useless

While we don’t have the AB’s, Amla’ and Kallis’s of this world we certainly have better options than some of the sad excuses Boucher is investing in

Not selecting Verreynne in any of the T20’s was an utter insult along with his justification for not doing so - for which he has been ripped apart in the media.

Boucher was a great cricketer but fuck me he can’t select a cricket side

It’s become obvious of late that both Janneman Malan and Verreynne should be in our starting 11 in all formats of the game

Apr 19, 2021, 16:36

No ways Gibbs and Cullinan ahead of McKenzie and Kirsten - no brainer

Apr 19, 2021, 17:45

Mozart

"He’s almost getting to his great years.....what a leader."

What the hell does that mean?     He never was great bar in one game and has since proven that he is a flop - especially as captain losing three out if three series he was captain and his batting is near to always a flop.   Have you lost your mind completely?

Elsewhere I wrote about the captaincy  of  Klaasen.   I do not see him advising bowlers where to bowl against specific players or him talking to the bowlers when they go rogue..    His field placings are total hogwash too,     In the shorter version of the game  you place your better catchers in strategic positions.    You place faster and more agile  players on the border  of the field.    The latter lead to 2 missed catches in two games  - eg Van Biljon.   To my mind a captain should read the game and take counter-measures when required - Klaasen has not done  anything to try and steady the ship.                               

Why no comnments about the above,as to his captancy?   

By the way - he will be 30 in three months - is that what makes him great?    

You need to Log in to reply.