Brilliant by Dussen and Markram…

Forum » Cricket » Brilliant by Dussen and Markram…

Nov 06, 2021, 18:19

….chilled by Ock, who has been the disappointment of our WC. Markram hit some epic sixes and the much maligned Dussen was peerless. He deserved a 100 with that effort.

Now it’s over to the bowlers to defend 130 odd runs…..highly unlikely.

Nov 07, 2021, 13:04

Was a nice performance from our batters.

Rassie always looks very organised at the crease. Pity it wasn’t in a performance that took us to a semi though.

This lineup looks decent as is. Quintie had a very kak series haha. With Rickleton and Malan waiting in the wings, it’s not all doom and gloom…even if Reeza gets dropped. Wink wink, Denny.

It’s settled, Markram isn’t an opener and looks immediately more comfortable at 4. Let’s hope he stays there in the longer formats too.

Nov 07, 2021, 16:06

Quintile always has a kak series in WCs….a player for games against Sri Lanka, in Potchefstroom.

As an experienced player, his form and his political flub contributed to our WC demise far more than any other player. He obviously doesn’t give a damn.

Nov 10, 2021, 00:34

Rassie looks bloody awkward but he has a good head on him. Not the most gifted, I just can’t get excited about the guy

He’s my Mostert of cricket

Nov 10, 2021, 05:27

Ja well, Ock is my Willemse.

Nov 11, 2021, 17:13

I would have thought your PSDT or DA :)

Nov 11, 2021, 22:04

Actually there is a connection….all three totally overrated. Good spot Dave.

Nov 13, 2021, 12:32

Three months ago the atatck was all on Markram by the site idiot Mozart - what happened since then?    

Nov 13, 2021, 12:53

"Three months ago the attack was all on Markram....."

Glad I'm not the only one who remembers........poor Markram really copped it.....slagged off as hyperbole......forum hyped and media hyped.

Too funny when it was plain for everyone else to see that he had enormous talent.......then again how would we know Hmmmm??

"South Africa doesn't produce that kind of talent anymore"

Laughing graphics

Nov 13, 2021, 17:31

Yes he did at last make a score that counted for zero but in games that matter he was a non performer.

No argument that he is a talented batsman but he has failed most times at the crease as an opener and in so doing placed more pressure on the team.

Yes all players have at times had to deal with performance issues but as a opener he has failed more often than not.

The bigger question is who else is experienced and talented enough to fill the gap.

Nov 14, 2021, 01:21

The batting woes of Markram has vexed those of us who believe in him, no-one seemed to have an answer for his underperformances. It wasn't because of a lack of talent, it is on closer inspection I believe a lack of technique in the shorter formats. In my very humble opinion I believe Markram was a test player convert, a stroke player with good technique strictly suited to test cricket. As an example, watch him as he cover drives,  it's text book styled. He is not a natural short format of the game big hitter or clubber of the ball and he's had to alter his game so as to improve his performance in the shorter formats.  Looking over his past stats there was a noticeable difference between his test stats vs his short format stats.  Our frustrations with him was mostly in the short formats of the game especially ODI. As his approach to the short format game improved his stats improved. The demands of the shorter formats especially T20(which BTW isn't cricket) is for big hitters and it probably goes a long way to explain why he's failed so many times to clear the fence as an opener in the powerplay. I believe he'll always struggle to clear the fence where the boundaries are bigger but with a bit of confidence and experience under his belt and with the talent that he has he could probably find ways to address the problem.

It's a pity that interest in test cricket has waned, it simply cannot compete against the money being thrown at T20 cricket and the downside is that we'll be starved of test cricket alongside the likes of the Ponting's, Lara's and Tendulkar's.......and of course to a lesser degree a natural enough test cricketer like Markram.

As to your question "The bigger question is who else is experienced and talented enough to fill the gap."

See the team I selected prior to the current T20WC, that team would undoubtedly have secured the Proteas a semi final with a more than good chance of winning the tournament.

Nov 14, 2021, 04:31

Your team….what like the Durban July where you mentioned almost every horse, except the one that won. 

Or this:

Sep 10, 2021, 07:14

For mine it's a Bok win, I'm expecting a bit of rust from the Boks whereas the Wallabies have the benefit of match fitness. The Bok coach has the added headache of injuries and not overplaying his charges, it will be physically and emotionally draining for the players by the time they

Nov 14, 2021, 04:35

Then there’s this post….embarrassing huh? What now Kettleblack?

it with Markram

Forum » Cricket » What is it with Markram 

Jan 05, 2021, 14:24

technically sound, fearless....or so it seems, has all the shots, does remarkably well at domestic level but fails to carry that form into the test arena. So is it a lack of concentration, nerves or is it poor shot selection? To me he looked the next best thing but I guess we're frustrated because he underperforms, clearly he feels the same going by the damage he did to his hand last year.

Nov 14, 2021, 14:04

Darn, it almost sounds as if you want our lads to lose...

Nov 14, 2021, 22:13

Which part? Be specific now.

Nov 15, 2021, 22:11

Denny has made a very valid point.

We expect players to perform each and every time  they go to the crease in every format of the game and to deliver every time.

Some players have been able to adjust to both formats but not all players have been able to make the grade at all levels of the game.

Perhaps Markram is one of those player who falls into this category.

Nov 16, 2021, 01:28

Markram is really much better positioned as a number 4. If he continued to open in this T20 he likely will have continued to struggle. Top marks to Boucher for making the change.

You need to Log in to reply.